VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Okay everytime i tell someone I am vegan they are like "ohh the people i know that went vegan got very sick...."

But there are some people that have been positive about it...

When I hear that negative feedbak it puts me down and makes me think twice about what Im doing then i come on here and I know im doing the right thing...

Is it lack of education that this people think this way and is it lack of education that there are vegans that get sick....??????

What are you guys opinion...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
anyone can get really sick.. it's not gonna happen just because you're a vegan. i believe a lack of education in this area and an abundance of ignorance enable people to form weird opinions like that. don't let them get you down, they are probably trying to cope with the guilty feelings they have about eating animals.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I hear stories like that and start questioning people, it usually turns out that the sick vegan wasn't eating right. The problem usually is a food disorder (which happens to nonvegans as well) or the fact that they were also cutting out a lot of healthy vegan foods like beans, soy and most vegetables. No diet, vegan or not, is going to be healthy with only junk food eaten. Educate yourself about the types of food that you need to stay healthy and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Just tell them "I know millions of omnivores who suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, obsesity, and colon cancer."

·
Registered
516 Posts
I hate to promote my blog even more (
) but I actually just wrote on this issue. For me, I believe that people are merely ignorant - which appears to be masked stupidity.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When I became vegan, there was another vegan girl my age who was in the hospital from malnutrition basically. At least to my understanding that was the case, she missed a lot of school at any rate. I really didn't know about her health problems until I told people I was becoming vegan, I heard all sorts of warnings about how this girl had become sick. From later conversations I had with her, it sounded like her mom jumped from diet to diet and this girl became vegan only when her mom did. Who knows.

The point is, I've been vegan for almost six years and I've been as healthy as I would hope the whole time. I don't think it's really worth getting into conversations about this with people other than family or close friends. I mean, are people really concerned about your health...?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGIHEAD View Post

Is it lack of education that this people think this way and is it lack of education that there are vegans that get sick....??????

What are you guys opinion...?
Yes, I believe lack of education / ignorance is the problem. You think that's bad, the bodybuilding world is quite against veggie people. They assume the vegans who make it, are "cheating" (eating meat, or a the very least whey).

In the meantime, I prefer to become super strong, fit and healthy and set the BB industry on it's ear with all the myths about vegans not being BBer's.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Just tell them "I know millions of omnivores who suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, obsesity, and colon cancer."
Amen to that. I also agree that the perception of veganism being unhealthy is simply perpetuated by people not paying attention to their vegan diets either. Whether it's because they are eating junk food, or eating healthy food but not paying attention to their nutrient intake, you could wind up with health problems on a vegan diet as well as an omni diet. I think the odds are better for the vegan than the standard American omni diet however.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Many people think there is ONE vegan diet, and that every vegan diet has the exact same foods and all vegans are iron deficient. The truth is, a vegan diet is just as likely to be iro deficient as an omni diet, since there is a huge variation in both vegan and omni diets. It is the variety of food that counts, not whether or not animal products are included.

·
Registered
78 Posts
People tell me that vegan diets are "unhealthy" all the time. They always wonder how I get enough "protein" in my diet, and that veganism causes "iron deficiency." For one thing I take a multivitamin, and as far as I know there isn't a problem with protein deficiency in this country. There is a BIG problem with high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc. that is an epidemic, and it's primarily due to all the fatty, cholesterol-ridden meat that people consume! It definitely IS ignorance that makes omnis believe being vegan makes us sick! THEIR diets is what makes them sick!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have an omni friend who had problems with iron deficiency. No matter what type of diet you prefer if you're not eating the right things you're going to get sick.

I think most people really don't know much about veganism and generalize to disguise their lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
People with eating disorders will often use veg*nism as a cover-up for the fact that they aren't eating much (or anything at all). Someone with anorexia can use vegetarianism as an excuse to only nibble on a few leaves of lettuce. A vegan diet also contains a lot of low fat, low calorie foods that are 'safe' to people with eating disorders. So naturally, anyone with experience with someone who had an eating disorder and used veganism as a way to cover it up would automatically assume that it was the vegan diet to blame. Anyone on a vegan diet who is eating an adequate amount of calories isn't likely to be admitted to the hospital for 'malnutrition' (which I assume was just 'undernutrition').

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mom constantly tells me that I look pale and "sickly". I have always been pale, and I am healthier than I have ever been in my life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is probably one of the most annoying things people will tell me, that I'll get sick or that I don't get enough protein. Even to this day my mother-in-law insists I have to "Be careful about your protein intake" ugh!

It really does boil down to ignorance, everything you eat contains amino acids, which make up all your proteins and you can only get your essential amino acids from PLANT sources, and with a varied diet you really can't go wrong. Some people just don't want to believe I guess, probably something to do with subconscious guilt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.