VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info or experience on growing your own seaweed at home, such as in an aquarium or other large container?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I never thought of growing my own, which is silly, because I grow a lot of other veggies. I wouldn't imagine it would be any harder than keeping a tropical aquarium. No idea where to get seed? from though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is that many seaweeds, like nori, have seeds, and can be "planted" into the saltwater if there is some old shells in there too. Or I'm sure you could order some from someone, overnight. Once you have it growing, it should be self-generating.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

I'm sorry sir, but we don't take too kindly to growing illegal drugs around here.

Step in the underwater boat and come along to the station.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
^^^LOL~
sorry, I'm an inlander, and nope, I've never considered growing my own seaweed....please do take pictures and keep us posted on your adventure!

Reactions: tpkyteroo luebeck

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I'm interested too because I love seaweed and it's SO good for you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I think there are a certain number of people who would set up a new aquarium or trash can in order to grow their favorite special type of seaweed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok it's been a year, but I finally have a DIY setup that I'll post in a new thread. It will grow seaweed in a saltwater reservoir at a pretty fast rate, and you can just reach in and harvest it without turning anything off and without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post

Ok it's been a year, but I finally have a DIY setup that I'll post in a new thread. It will grow seaweed in a saltwater reservoir at a pretty fast rate, and you can just reach in and harvest it without turning anything off and without taking anything apart.
Amazing! I look forward to seeing it :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm putting together some drawings. Meanwhile, you'll need a large black plastic 5 or 10 gallon waterproof container, a small black plastic shoebox size box, a 42 watt CFL bulb that is 2700k (warm), a 10+ lpm air pump, some white aquarium gravel, and some white 1mm diameter nylon cord.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I'm a few month late :0

It does not help that the original tank (where this was developed) cracked. Nevertheless, here are some growth videos of the aquarium version; It hopefully will be obvious how to build it using the materials stated above. I'll still be posting plans soon, however.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice set up SM.
thumbsup.gif
How do you prepare it to eat? What species of seaweed is this? Do you keep fish or other animals in the seaweed growing tank?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well this tank is obviously not a culturing tank, but, the species is probably similar in saltwater: Cladophora, and Ulva. The species varies widely based on N and P and organics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok finally a drawing/diagram on building a seaweed cultivator; don't mind the term "algae scrubber" since that what these are called in the aquarium world. Also, you'd probably want a substantially larger version in order to cultivate handfuls of seaweed per week. But you should get the idea.

To run one in your garage, you might make it 12" x 12" x 3" deep, and put a 30 watt "UFO" plant-grow LED over it. It could sit in a 5 or 10 gallon tank or plastic container with saltwater and fertilizer. An air bubbler outlet every 2 or 3" should be good:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts