VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I really want to get started on. I already saved up 2 jars! Does anyone know of where I can get the cheapest sprout seeds? Whats the best ones to get?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I get my sprout seeds at a feed store here in Nova Scotia... my faves are clover, broccoli, alfalfa... sometimes a variety will come together and be called things like "crunchy salad mix" or "spicy mix". I'll try to find the couple of online stores i've found if no one else has any they use.

If you have a feed store/gardening store, that might be a good way to get them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a great idea. Are all veggie sprouts edible? Can I just get some in the seed section of walmart? I'm going there today.

·
Registered
187 Posts
well a lot of the time the packet will say _______ sprouts on it. I found this through a google search in case it's helpful:

Spicy Sprouts
These tangy sprouts are best used in blends.
Arugula, mildly spicy
Broccoli, amazing antioxidant content and anti-cancer compounds.
Cabbage, mildly spicy
Fenugreek, bitter pungent flavor
Garlic, Leek, and Onion seeds can all be eaten as sprouts. These take longer 10-14 days.
Oriental Mustard, horseradish-like flavor, the only mustard that can be used an a sprouter.
Radish, common and daikon sharp spicy flavor.

Leafy Sprouts
Delicous in Sandwiches and Salads.
Alfalfa, on of the most popular sprouts. Soak for 4-6 Hours.
Clover, similar to Alfalfa, longer shelf-life in the fridge.
Sunflower Greens, soak for 12 hours submerged underwater with a weight. Plant in a shallow tray of soil

Legumes
Versitile, Delicous, and Nutritions.
Adzuki Bean, beany flavor
Garbanzo Bean Chickpea, nutty flavor
Lentils, economical, lots of colors
Mung Bean, the most popular sprout in the world. Sold as Chinese Bean Sprouts. A must have for Chinese Cuisine and stir-frys
Peas, a wide range of sizes and colors, fresh pea flavor.

Note:Kidney Beans contain a toxin and should not be used for sprouts. Bean sprouts can be a source of flatulence, so if you're having a hard time digesting them try a different type of sprout, or even a different bean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the info!

I just picked up a pack of broccoli seeds. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you sprout the dry lentils you buy in a bag? I have a bunch of them in the cabinet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

can you sprout the dry lentils you buy in a bag? I have a bunch of them in the cabinet.
Cool - Good luck! I'm growing sprouts right now
They should be ready tomorrow, woot!

And you should be able to sprout dried lentils - I haven't tried:
Take a look at this How to Sprout Lentils - Looks like you have to presoak them first.

Hope you are able to eat some yummy sprouts soon!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just one more question.... can i sprout these white navy bean I have in the cabinet? They've been in there for a few months and I don't know if I'll ever use them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

just one more question.... can i sprout these white navy bean I have in the cabinet? They've been in there for a few months and I don't know if I'll ever use them.
Hmm, I know kidney beans can be toxic when they are uncooked - I think the same may go for navy beans, so I would just try and make a soup or chili with them to be on the safe side... unless someone has any more information. But until you have a definite answer, at least you already have some seeds to start off with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts