VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a murderer...of basil plants. On the rare times I get the seeds to sprout, the plant never reaches maturity. I'm sure the reason is due to water and light: I'm either giving too much or too little of either one.<br><br><br><br>
Has anyone had any luck growing basil indoors?<br><br><br><br>
I absolutely love fresh basil in sandwiches, and it's just so expensive (and often not fresh) that I'd really like to grow my own.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Basil likes full sun, so it can be a challenge to grow indoors in the winter. If you don't get a lot of direct sunlight through your windows you may have to use a grow light.

·
Registered
230 Posts
At my grocery store they sell live basil with roots and dirt in water in a bag. I find that I can get quite a few sandwiches out of this cause it will continue to grow for quit a while. Maybe longer if you are a much better plant person than I am.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Basil definitely needs a lot of light so put it in the sunniest place possible. Also, DON'T overwater it. Lots of sun, not too much water and you'll get healthy basil. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sometimes its just better to wait until summer again especially if the winters are long and cold.<br><br><br><br>
Strong sunlight is what basil needs and winter sun just doesn't do it at my latitude. Grow lights are an option but in my experience they end up costing more than the plants produced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts