VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My school is having a fundraiser by selling meat! This company called The Gourmet Group is selling boxes of vacuum packed 'gourmet' meats for $99, and for each box sold, they will donate $30 to our school to go towards prom and junior banquet. This is so not right.

I mean, we need to raise money for our prom and stuff, but why do they have to sell chunks of dead animal?! They even had the guy from the company come on our morning news show to tell the WHOLE SCHOOL how we should all buy a box, and sell them to our family members because "with only 500 purchases $15,000 will be donated!" He then started talking about how great their disgusting meat products were, and they arrive delivered to your house in a box. I overheard people talking about it, and how they wanted to buy a box, or two. This just made me furious, and I felt like yelling at everyone to wake up and realize that they are trying to sell us dead animal flesh.

I really want to stop this fundraiser at our school, or at least do something about it! Maybe we could find some alternate way to raise money, but I have no idea how to speak up in my school. I don't know if it is right to impose my ideas and interfere with the raising of money in my school, but it's definitely not right to be selling these huge boxes of meat to the student body.

Any ideas of what I should do? Or just not do anything, and let the school support this meat company with thousands of dollars?

Stuff from the pamphlet:

"Why not put the finest quality meals on your dinner table, while at the same time helping to benifit Wootton High School!!"

They make you feel like you are buying the meat for a cause

"You'll love opening the freezer to see What's for Dinner!!"

right...:umm:

Each box has 28 to 34 portions of meat. Who the hell needs that much meat?

Contact info:

[email protected]

(301) 646 9815

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
What I'd recommend is letting the school administration know how you feel about this. Maybe write a letter complaining, and get any other vegetarians at your school to sign it, too. If you're particularly daring and vocal, you may even want to organize some sort of formal protest.

Clearly, it's already too late to stop this fundraiser at your school for this year. But if you make enough noise about it, the school will think twice before doing it again next year.

--Fromper

·
Registered
715 Posts
Uhg, terrible.

I would do as Fromper suggested and talk to your school administrators. When our school wants money, they sell fruit/chocolate/wrapping paper/baked goods. This is just uncalled for.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Not sure how you'd get $15,000 if the company sells 500 items... because they'd make $5000, and I don't think they're tripling what they make and donating to your school..

Anyway, I think it's a pretty horrific fundraiser. I would certainly complain that DEATH was contributing to your prom.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Not sure how you'd get $15,000 if the company sells 500 items... because they'd make $5000, and I don't think they're tripling what they make and donating to your school..

Anyway, I think it's a pretty horrific fundraiser. I would certainly complain that DEATH was contributing to your prom.
Each box is $100, times 500 is $50,000. We get $30 for each box sold, and 30 times 500 is $15,000.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Although I agree that there are other ways to do a fundraiser, I really don't think this is a big deal. People eat meat. It doesn't mean you need to support it, but it's still a way of a lot of people in the world.

I suggest removing yourself from the situation, and perhaps offering another fundraiser, but not try to stop the whole thing.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
May I ask why this is considered so out of line? (Assuming the OP chooses not to participate.)

I mean...probably 98% of the school is omni right? And the same for the local community would be a fair guess. So why not sell a product with a good return that targets the local market? Doesn't the school cafeteria serve meat? And these people eat it at home? Why is this shocking?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I think you should get some pig's blood and dump it on the prom king and queen.

laurie15 - sometimes it's necessary for people to stand against things that they find unethical. I think MLK said that there comes a time when silence is betrayal. If this is a battle she wants to fight I think it's as valuable as any other to bring attention to the horrible wrongs that are done to animals.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I think you should get some pig's blood and dump it on the prom king and queen.

laurie15 - sometimes it's necessary for people to stand against things that they find unethical. I think MLK said that there comes a time when silence is betrayal. If this is a battle she wants to fight I think it's as valuable as any other to bring attention to the horrible wrongs that are done to animals.
I completely agree with you.

It just seems as though not quite the correct situation.

I am not, however, bashing the original poster. Instead, I was just claiming that I really didn't think this was a big deal. I mean, they weren't killing the animals for the fundraiser.

Tame brings up points that I was thinking. Does the poster stop the cafeteria from selling meat? To me, that would be the same type of thing.

But hey, if you can stop it, that's awesome and a feat in itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

Although I agree that there are other ways to do a fundraiser, I really don't think this is a big deal. People eat meat. It doesn't mean you need to support it, but it's still a way of a lot of people in the world.

I suggest removing yourself from the situation, and perhaps offering another fundraiser, but not try to stop the whole thing.
I agree with Laurie15. Although I do wonder what happened to the selling of wrapping paper. Thats what we always did in school.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

May I ask why this is considered so out of line? (Assuming the OP chooses not to participate.)

I mean...probably 98% of the school is omni right? And the same for the local community would be a fair guess. So why not sell a product with a good return that targets the local market? Doesn't the school cafeteria serve meat? And these people eat it at home? Why is this shocking?
In some ways I agree with you. Unless you are railing against meat in the cafeteria as well railing against the fund raiser seems a little pointless. It does strike me as a bit of an odd fund raiser though, who in heck buys that much meat at once?

To the OP... why not hold your own fund raiser? One you can ethically and morally agree with?

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
you say

"who the hell needs that much meat "?

Well a meat eater of course .

Why don't you just make up gourmet vegy
packs and give all the profit to the school

That way you are not projecting your self on them and offering an healthy alternative to those who don't want the meat pack and a silent statement in your actions

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Mean, It's Not Like They Couldn't Sell Fruit Or Vegtables. That Wouldn't Offend Anyone, I Mean, Even If I Ate Meat That Would Sound Disgusting. Meat In A Box. Yum.... Isn't There Like Health Codes About That Kind Of Thing? XD

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echud123456 View Post

I Mean, It's Not Like They Couldn't Sell Fruit Or Vegtables. That Wouldn't Offend Anyone, I Mean, Even If I Ate Meat That Would Sound Disgusting. Meat In A Box. Yum.... Isn't There Like Health Codes About That Kind Of Thing? XD
Generally, when there are fundraisers like this, they do well because there are high quality products being sold.

When I was back in school, we did food fundraisers, often. We sold fruits and vegetables, gourmet cheese and chocolate, things like that. We also sold gourmet sausage, which people waited for every year. And our biggest seller? Organic bison and elk.

And what about fundraisers like bbq's? We had those often, grilling up hamburgers and hotdogs.

Now, vegans could be upset about the cheese and chocolate, right? Same thing.

Of course there are health codes, but they aren't selling rank, random meat.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:

It's not realy shocking... But probably 98% of the school and community eats fruits/veggies/cookies. Why not sell those?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

I am not, however, bashing the original poster. Instead, I was just claiming that I really didn't think this was a big deal. I mean, they weren't killing the animals for the fundraiser.
Technically, they were killing the animals for the fundraiser, the animals had to die in order to produce the hunks of dead animal flesh...unless they found some way to cram a whole, live cow into a box.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Why do I consider it out of line? Because a meat fundraiser is so unnecissary, especially with so many other things we could sell. And the way they were advertising the sale to our school was kind of pushy. Like 'buy our great meat products! You get quality meat while supporting your school! yay...' It even striked a lot of other people odd that they were selling us meat.

Our orchestra had a fruit sale for a fundraiser... they could have easily done something like that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts