VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So week 1 of being vegan is almost through. I am going to go grocery shopping tomorrow again for some food that will keep me full longer and snacking foods (healthy, vegan of course). The only problem I am having is I don't know what to buy this time. I was going to try to avoid the processed foods (like soy dogs and boca bugers etc) BUT I don't know what else to eat that will keep me full. Please help! Can you give me some ideas for a grocery list?

·
Registered
218 Posts
well... what do you eat? buy that.

always on my list are beans (canned when I was just getting started because theyre quick) chickpeas to make hummus super fast and kidney beans for snacking, anything of the vegetable variety... frozen broccoli and stirfry? apples......

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Let's not forget grains and seeds! Rice, millet, quinoa, bulgur wheat, cous cous, pasta, etc. Combine with beans/lentils and veg for a complete meal. Get a variety of veg and don't forget your leafy greens!

Nuts are also very good for snacking and for adding to salads, stir fries and the such.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Buy some seeds and nuts to add to your salads or throw on top of your oatmeal in the morning.
Buy some tofu to add to your veggie stir fry.
Buy some whole grain pasta to go with your veggies and marinara.
Buy some pre-made whole grain pizza dough that you can throw some sauce and veggies on.
Buy some hummus that you can add to a veggie sandwich.
Buy some hemp or other protein powder to add to your green smoothies.

All of these things are very filling.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I cook a pot of beans once a week, then make different meals based on that weeks bean:
Garbanzos yield falafel after a nights soaking; hummus, stews, curries and oven roasted for snacking (oven at 425F. spread out garbanzos, sprinkle on seasoning, bake about 45 min-check and stir)
Most other beans; chili, sauces, soups, sandwich spreads, jambalaya, on toast.

I like to keep shelf items on hand for when I can't shop. My favorite pizza is all canned/jarred stuff. Black and green olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, garlic and onions, pizza sauce. Mushrooms if I have them. Frozen naan bread is good for a crust and it can be made in a cast iron skillet.

Always brown rice, lentils (red mushy and french firm)

If you haven't tried tempeh with liquid smoke, maple syrup and Braggs, I highly recommend it. If you haven't tried Braggs amino acids check their website for a sample pack!
Don't forget nutritional yeast!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I back into grocery shopping by meal planning and then figuring out what we need. Lunches I always make a big batch of a whole grain/protein/veg mix, and have it with some veg and fruit on the side, and something sweet at the end (a few graham crackers w/ pb or something). Breakfast I stick to cereal or oatmeal or toast for the most part.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Whole grain bread, it's healthier than white and will keep you full for longer. Peanut butter or other spreads. Potatoes and/or sweet potatoes. Brown rice. Lots of fresh veggies for salads or snacking, fresh fruit for snacking or for making into smoothies.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I cook a pot of beans once a week, then make different meals based on that weeks bean:
Garbanzos yield falafel after a nights soaking; hummus, stews, curries and oven roasted for snacking (oven at 425F. spread out garbanzos, sprinkle on seasoning, bake about 45 min-check and stir)
Most other beans; chili, sauces, soups, sandwich spreads, jambalaya, on toast.

I like to keep shelf items on hand for when I can't shop. My favorite pizza is all canned/jarred stuff. Black and green olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, garlic and onions, pizza sauce. Mushrooms if I have them. Frozen naan bread is good for a crust and it can be made in a cast iron skillet.

Always brown rice, lentils (red mushy and french firm)

If you haven't tried tempeh with liquid smoke, maple syrup and Braggs, I highly recommend it. If you haven't tried Braggs amino acids check their website for a sample pack!
Don't forget nutritional yeast!
Agreed on the chickpeas and beans. I make hummus every week. Hummus sandwiches in a pita are delicious. Stuff them with hummus and whatever fresh veggies you have. I often use tomatoes in the summer, red onion, shredded carrots, cucumbers, you name it. I even throw some olives in. Kalamatas (a little pricey but oh so good) work really well with hummus. Also, get some nice hearty bread, toast it, and top it with hummus, onions and pickles.

I also often make chickpea cutlets (you'll need vital wheat gluten for these, at least for the recipe from Veganomicon. You can find it in the natural food aisles or with various flours and cornmeal in the baking aisles), falafel, or sometimes, I just throw them in a salad. They are wonderful in soups as well. Chickpea salad is another way to eat them. Stuff a tomato with the salad. It's awesome. Or, eat on crackers or in a sandwich or as lettuce wraps. You can do so much with chickpeas.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I've mostly been eating a lot of canned beans. They're filling, easy, and quick so they're great for starting out if you don't have time to soak dry ones. I went to the store and bought a variety of different beans so I'd get a variety of nutrients and wouldn't get sick of them. My favorite so far has been lentils. I call it baby bean soup since the beans are so tiny.
For snacks maybe you could try eating peanut butter things? If I'm hungry I eat some ritz with peanut butter and it keeps me full for a while. For a quick snack on the go you could also get some nature valley roasted almond bars. They're really good and don't contain honey like most of the other nature valley flavors do. Some wheat pasta with tomato sauce or some brown rice is also a good meal option with nutritious value.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm a meal planner too. I flip through cookbooks and plan 5-7 meals for the week. Since there are only two of us, I usually just freeze leftovers or take them to work for lunch.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't know how much you cook, but I've found a spice you need to have is smoked paprika. McCormick makes a great smoked paprika. It smells like bacon and is wonderful in adding flavor to dishes. I put in in chilis, burritos, sandwiches, etc.

Also, I suggest avacados. Great on sandwiches, salads, and of course-guacamole. :)

And of course my personal favorite: Silk Almond Milk-orginal flavor or the vanilla flavor for smoothies-yummy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts