VeggieBoards banner

Gritty Powders!

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fadeaway1289 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right spot for this topic. If not, I apology.

I'm vegan and have experimented a ton with different multivitamins, tablets, chewables, and powders. Most tablets are too big and I can't swallow them, or if they're small enough to swallow, they taste so disgusting that I can't get them down because of it. Chewables aren't bad but for some reason the one that I tried made me sick. I still don't know why.

I've tried protein powders and they all tasted nasty, which I could get past. My only real problem with them is that all the ones I've tried are gritty. I picked up Vega's Chocolate flavored whole food health optimizing powder, which is like a multivitamin but in powder form. The taste wasn't absolutely horrible, but it wasn't good either. But like I said, I can get past that. What I'm having trouble with again, is the grittiness. I blended it in the blender and it was still really gritty. I have one of those hand mixers but haven't tried it yet.

Does anyone have any tips for how to make powders (protein or otherwise) less/not gritty? Once I go shopping again, I'll probably give a smoothie a try. Maybe if the drink is think already, the grittiness won't bother me as much.

Thank you in advanced for any tips! I could really use them!

See less See more
#2 ·
I always sift the powder into the blender, sometimes it makes a difference. There's really no absolute remedy for this, cause each brand blends differently. The two best that I've tried are the Sun Warrior and Garden of Life brands.

About the taste, try stevia. Just a couple of drops and all of that horrible protein taste disappears - I swear!

#3 ·
The powder I got today isn't actually a protein powder, but has protein in it. It also already has stevia in it, which I've heard in reviews is one of the reason people don't like the taste. I didn't think it was horrible or anything, but I did end up plugging my nose to down the last few gulps :p

Thank you for the reply
Hopefully sifting will help. I never actually thought of trying that.

#4 ·
Are you just looking for a way to get your vitamins that doesn't involve swallowing pills or chewing nasty flavored tablets? If so, have you tried vegan gummy vitamins or children's vegan chewables ?

Also, were you taking the vitamins on an empty stomach? Vitamins will cause nausea in some people if not taken with food.

Sorry I don't have any ideas about the powders but already made protein smoothies are fantastic. My favorites are Odwalla http://www.odwalla.com/_dispatch_body.jsp and Bolthouse Farm's Vanilla Chai http://bolthouse.com/our-products/be...hai-tea/detail.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne89 View Post

It also already has stevia in it, which I've heard in reviews is one of the reason people don't like the taste..
Really? I use peppermint flavoured stevia...probably should have mentioned that =S

#8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies

I went grocery shopping today and picked up some frozen berries, along with my usual fresh fruit. I also found a tip online that if you had instant pudding mix (just a small amount), it can make almost any protein/nutrition shake taste much better. It's true! But just because I could still taste the powder, I threw in some frozen berries and a banana I had tossed in the freezer earlier this morning. It wasn't too bad
It was actually tasty at first, then just went down to decent, but still not horrible.

Quote:
Powders arent necessary. Maybe dont use them anymore if u dont like the taste/texture. Best to get nutrients from whole foods. \t\t\t\t\t\t
I know they aren't necessary but I've had some problems with eating enough food/enough variety, so until I can conquer that issue, I figured I should try taking some sort of supplement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.