VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep I'm trying to get a thing going. Fight sexism by not shaving our body hair. Why is it a social expectation that women have to shave their legs, under arms and vaginas but men don't have to? Even beards are a trend and seen as masculine.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I really don't like body hair... other than my arms. It's itchy if you don't shave your arm pits, it's ugly if you don't shave your leggs, and for me, it feels less clean if I down shave... down there. Same goes for men, for me. While I enjoy sexy goatees or some scruff, i prefer they keep their down there hair to a minimum, and arm pit hair as well (while I would only say that if they ever made a comment about mine).

It's not really sexism, when its a lot of the time just personal preference.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
There is no way I'm not shaving. The ginormous amount of hair on my body would make a monkey cry.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

...women have to shave their vaginas...
I thought the vagina was entirely internal, and is the actual birth canal, while the bit you shave, or don't, is the pubic mound.

Unless of course some women actually have hair in their vaginae.

Hmm, I just learned something. Vaginas get underlined in red by spell check, so I tried vaginae on a whim, and it turns out to be the correct spelling.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vagina is spelled right =p I didn't know how to pluralize it
And no you don't shave the inside, but I didn't know the term for the skin where the bush grows lol

I've recently seen two women who didn't shave their legs/under arms and they were beautiful. Also I get rashes from shaving everywhere except my legs, and I've always felt like I NEEDED to shave these areas despite my skins reaction to it.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I like to be hairless, and my husband keeps himself tidy everywhere. However, I view that as my choice. I know a female in one of my classes who doesn't shave her legs and I think that's cool too. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh its cool if you choose to still shave, I'm not like "oh your sexist and hate womens rights if you still shave"

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i prefer being hairless. but obviously these preference wasn't just natural, we like it because we live in the society where this is the way it should be. but tbh i wish that by fighting the sexism we would just make the men shave their bodies. i prefer hairless men too!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't shave because someone expects me to, but for comfort. I seriously cannot go two days without shaving and I shave everything...
Even in winter when I know that nobody will see my legs, I get rid of the hair because it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I just don't like the feeling of my legs and armpits not being shaved, it gets itchy after a while.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I can't stand that women are now pretty much expected to shave "down there" due to raunch culture.

The hair around the vagina actually serves a purpose, and that purpose is to help keep bacteria out of the vagina and to provide a spongy barrier of protection.

As for shaving my legs and armpits, I get rashes when I do. It is unnecessary, time consuming, and completely pointless, so I only do it about once per month.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

The hair around the vagina actually serves a purpose, and that purpose is to help keep bacteria out of the vagina and to provide a spongy barrier of protection.

As for shaving my legs and armpits, I get rashes when I do. It is unnecessary, time consuming, and completely pointless, so I only do it about once per month.
I shaved my bush for like 6 months and got horribly painful rashes as well as yeast infections (tmi but this is a womens health thread)
And yeh I get the arm pit rashes too, my skin is allergic to metal but for some reason my legs don't react to shaving.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I shaved my bush for like 6 months and got horribly painful rashes as well as yeast infections (tmi but this is a womens health thread)
And yeh I get the arm pit rashes too, my skin is allergic to metal but for some reason my legs don't react to shaving.
I got yeasties too when I was shaving the triangle. It was horrible. Even when I use an extremely emollient oil-based soap to protect my skin against razor rash, I still get it. Also, I don't find the hair on my legs and under my armpits itchy. Men don't seem to either.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My leg hair is only a tad thicker than the rest of me, but being Canadian I have never had to shave them over the winter so maybe thats why. If someone takes a pic of me when I haven't shaved my legs the hair doesn't show in the pic... but the other two spots... elves could nest there and I wouldn't know lol

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I shave my arm pits because I think I smell more of sweat when I don't and I don't like to smell of sweat so I remove it. Got nothing to do with pleasing other people's eye.

I trim the triangle so it looks neat and sophisticated, however that hair is there for a purpose and I am a woman not a child and I want that to be visible. I have not met any men who complained about that. And if they would, THEY can start with shaving THEMSELVES

Same goes for my legs, I've got a kind of excema which gets worse if I shave my legs, so I just don't. Haven't heard any men about that too.. Well exept two gay friends of mine.. But hey they're gay

I think it's complete nonsense that a woman should shave to be attractive, and a man should not.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I sometimes wax or shave but not with any regularity.

I haven't shaved or waxed under my arms in months. My legs get a shave or a wax (lower legs only) a few times a year maybe.

I got a Brazilian wax ONCE and will never do it again. I am very sensitive and don't shave even, trimming is fine, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I thought the vagina was entirely internal, and is the actual birth canal, while the bit you shave, or don't, is the pubic mound.

Unless of course some women actually have hair in their vaginae.
I've always been irritated by this too, it's a pet peeve of mine! Know your anatomy, people! Use correct terminology!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I've always been irritated by this too, it's a pet peeve of mine! Know your anatomy, people! Use correct terminology!
I think we all knew what she meant, though.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts