VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am a 17 year old vegan from Canada, and I am delighted to have found this board! I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (though I did eat meat on occasion when I was very young) and I have been a vegan for two or three years. I'm also an environmentalist and animal rights activist, though I haven't been anywhere near active enough lately. I'll be changing that soon though. My long-term dream is to someday build an off-the-grid house so that I can live as gently on the earth as possible, but that's a long time from now. In the meantime, I seem to have been unwittingly chosen as the patron saint of bugs and others small critters, whom I gently rescue from any dangerous situations. It's a full-time job . . .

I also enjoy reading, writing, being lazy, and listening to and playing music (I'm a classical pianist). I like poetry (though I'm not a poet) and books are great. I have sooo many favorites, though my all time favorite book (well, at least for this month
) would probably be Alan Paton's Cry the Beloved Country. I'm also probably the only teenager in existance who actually likes Shakespeare.
I don't like very many movies, but Dead Poets Society, Gandhi, and Philadelphia are among my favorites. Gandhi was a cool guy.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else interesting to say (though I'm sure to the moment I click the "submit new thread" button
). I just want to say that I'm really excited to have found this community!
And a big thanks and hugs to everyone who gave me such a warm welcome when I stumbled into the chat room this weekend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone!
I'm having such a great time reading all the cool threads here! (I'll start posting soon when I'm a bit more familiar with the board
)

Thanks again!

Mat

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I love Gandhi!! And Shakespeare!!! AND MUSIC!!!! (for a full bio, see my introduction post and/or my profile, lol) Really thrilled to have you here on the boards, especially as you sound like you share an uncanny number of my interests. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chiaraluna

I love Gandhi!! And Shakespeare!!! AND MUSIC!!!! (for a full bio, see my introduction post and/or my profile, lol) Really thrilled to have you here on the boards, especially as you sound like you share an uncanny number of my interests. Enjoy!
A vegan! Who loves Gandhi! And Shakespeare! And music! Awesome!!!
Btw, I like early music too. Machaut, Patestrina, Lassus, Allegri, Monteverdi (well, I guess Monteverdi is really more Renaissance, but he's still cool
) - it's wonderful music, isn't it?
I'm not a very good singer though - my singing tends to bring people to tears, just not for the right reason!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathew

A vegan! Who loves Gandhi! And Shakespeare! And music! Awesome!!! Btw, I like early music too. Machaut, Patestrina, Lassus, Allegri, Monteverdi (well, I guess Monteverdi is really more Renaissance, but he's still cool) - it's wonderful music, isn't it?
I'm not a very good singer though - my singing tends to bring people to tears, just not for the right reason!
Yay!! That makes me very happy!
I can't wait to hear from you in some of the posts... You seriously just became one of my new favorite people, lol! You are so going on my buddy list.

I'm SURE your singing isn't that bad; even if it is, though, the pianist part more than makes up for it... I am so amazingly, irrationally excited that I have finally found another vegan (who is young, and it doesn't hurt to find another young one) that shares ALL of my interests!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathew

(well, I guess Monteverdi is really more Renaissance, but he's still cool
)
I think that the general consensus seems to be that "Early Music" is anything Baroque and earlier -- some consider Mozart to be the cut-off point. So Montiverdi (who is indeed VERY cool, lol) is certainly a valid composer for your list. I LOVE Bach, myself.
Hope to talk to you more later!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts