VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi veg*n homies! My name is Thomas, and I've been vegan for about 16 years. Yes I started when people had no idea what you were talking about and pronounced it Vaygan, because obviously you were an extraterrestrial life form (which is true in my case)! I had an inkling of an interest in nutrition after being exposed to a John Robbins lecture, and then in college I got one of the first batches of Why Vegan? pamphlets, and that was that. I basically went vegan overnight (yeah I'm a freak). I am all about intellectual rigor, and when you combine that with ethics, the arguments for a plant-strong diet are phenomenally persuasive. Ok, it's also because I'm a very sensitive poet! Recently I've self-published my first book, check my website if curious:
http://www.bruisedroseblossoms.com/

But the point is I was blown away by the trifecta of truth, the environmental, ethical and health benefits. Though to be clear I eat and advocate a very low fat vegan diet (McDougall diet). I take no supplements whatsoever, just focus on low-fat vegan eating (less than 10% fat) and have not been sick in 6+ years as a result. And in the past 5 months I've gone crazy with self-massage, which has been an amazing journey in itself. As a tennis player and computer-head my body had become one big tight muscle knot!! After I pulled my shoulder I could no longer serve - that was the last straw and drove me to discover the incredible power of self-massage. I basically have been massaging myself non-stop since - it's just become a way of life like low-fat vegan eating. I've gone through a crapload of pain, but eventually the tightness and crazy hardness of my body began to loosen, and I have gained a staggering increase in flexibility and jigglyness (my new word, thanks!). Mostly unbeknownst to me my body was one huge muscle knot and I really didn't understand that pain is just your body telling you to massage, basically!! Now I can play as much tennis as I want and have even begun to play video games again! I'm going to write a little book about it eventually. Point being I finally found the other key to the fountain of youth so it's exciting! Low-fat vegan and massage are incredible, we really are in total control of our health (yeah, I might make that the book - M & M - McDougall and massage, lol). Anyway, it's been interesting seeing veganism become more well known, getting references all over the place and famous folks like Tyson and Clinton promoting the benefits. Though I'm a poet I'm very scientifically minded, and my writing is very influenced by physics and cosmology. Cosmic love poetry, and occasionally more angst, existential torment than love. Ok, perhaps that was too much information by Duran Duran, oh well!

Also, I can't figure out how to post a profile pic - I created an album and put the pic there...?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Tom, to post a profile pic: at the top of the page, click "settings." Then, in the left-hand column, under settings, click "edit profile pic." Being a cosmic traveller, you should be able to figure it out from there. Welcome aboard!

·
3,936 Posts
do you mean avatar, instead of profile pic? and avatar is the picture that goes with each of your posts, so go to 'settings' and then click on 'edit avatar'

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Well, actually that might come a bit late, seeing as you apparently signed up in 2003 and have been a member longer than myself and most other members!

In any case it's great to get some veterans on here!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Welcome... and nice to meet another Douglas Adams fan! Or at least I think you are. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Welcome!

For what it's worth, when I saw 'Contact' back in the 1990's I thought 'Vaygan' was a 'vegan' too :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do admit to reading and enjoying Hitchhiker's Guide, but that's the only one I've read. I'm more of an Alastair Reynolds and Richard K. Morgan fan.
Yes, I forgot I had an account on here, and hadn't posted anything for 6 years, so I'm calling it a new beginning.
As for Contact, I loved the book and I've read all Carl Sagan's books - his writing is lush and poetic, methinks.
---
Also, I'm a Vaygun with a Raygun!!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmaster View Post

I do admit to reading and enjoying Hitchhiker's Guide, but that's the only one I've read. I'm more of an Alastair Reynolds and Richard K. Morgan fan.
Yes, I forgot I had an account on here, and hadn't posted anything for 6 years, so I'm calling it a new beginning.
As for Contact, I loved the book and I've read all Carl Sagan's books - his writing is lush and poetic, methinks.
---
Also, I'm a Vaygun with a Raygun!!
Are you an Arthur C. Clarke fan by chance?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Are you an Arthur C. Clarke fan by chance?
I think I started one of the Foundation books but didn't get into it - what are your favs of his, I definitely want to explore more sci-fi, I need to read way more than I do. Actually Alastair just tweeted something about Clark, I think about how his less popular books were more hard sci-fi or something.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmaster View Post

I think I started one of the Foundation books but didn't get into it - what are your favs of his, I definitely want to explore more sci-fi, I need to read way more than I do. Actually Alastair just tweeted something about Clark, I think about how his less popular books were more hard sci-fi or something.
I actually really love his short stories. I used to have a compilation of his short stories, one he wrote when he was 14 I believe was beautiful in a way, it was about an alien society watching humans try to move to another planet, and they were amazed how this tiny unadvanced species was trying to relocate using rocket technology, I'm so not giving it justice, and I don't know the name of the essay (I'm useless apparently) but it really was beautiful.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The only Clarke book I've read is The Songs of Distant Earth.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Awesome book...
Yes, I must say that I quite liked it myself even though it was a tad bit too short.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Veganmaster...some of my favorite books that you might enjoy:

All My Sins Remembered - Joe Haldeman
Mindbridge - Joe Haldeman
The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Heritage Universe series - Charles Sheffield
Childhood's End - Arthur C Clarke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts