VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Mississippi. I've been Vegetarian for 7 years...and here is my story on why I want to be Vegan , which is how I ended up here.

A little over three years ago, I battled with stomach issues and pains for 3 months...and even though I had Gall Bladder attacks in the past, every test I took showed nothing...no stones, no enlargement, nothing. So, I was pretty much told it was in my head. I dropped from a slightly overweight 160 pounds to unhealthy 120 pounds in those 3 months. Finally, a new doctor ordered a Hida-Scan, which showed that my Gall Bladder was dysfunctional. This test should produce an ejection fraction of at least 50% or more. Mine was 7%). So, in December 2008, I finally had my gallbladder removed.

In February 2009, I met my (now) husband. He was overweight, and we adapted an unhealthy lifestyle of eating out for every meal. I was happy and I no longer hurt (physically and mentally) and I ate...and ate...and ate. When we got married December 2009, I was back up to 150 (and he at 340). Now, I am at a whopping 186...and he is down to 305. My husband is currently finishing up his degree (I am 35, he is 26). In two years, we plan to start trying to have a baby. So, I have two years to get the weight off. This may sound shallow, but I always pictured myself cute and skinny with a baby bump when I eventually get pregnant, so since nothing else has worked for me, I am using this as my motivation. So, I have 2 years to lose 50 pounds. My ideal weight is around 140.

I think that cheese is my poison...we eat it on everything. We started exercising last week, which was a good start, but today, I am making the jump for both of us. Once we finish the last of our cheese (I hate to waste food), we are going Vegan. My husband will be Vegan at the house (on the rare occasion we eat out now, he does enjoy a steak or fish dish...which is fine with me.)

So, I sit here, eating my last meal from my favorite Mexican Restaurant, drinking my last Diet Pepsi...and starting fresh with my life...and *our* life.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hello welcome, I have the same issues like you with overweight but not gallbladder problems, my husband and I want to have a few little ones he is up in years and I am 33 years old. However age is not mattering in today's world. Anyhow, I adapted this lifestyle to lower my weight and get healthy. I wish you the Best in this decisions and hopefully we would join you and your husband in two years having a baby bump or two or three

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Hi Adorahaa,

Very best of luck on your new journey. I have a few suggestions which may help you get started...if you have a chance to get to a book store or library, look up some of the newer vegan cookbooks. Isa Chandra Moskowitz (sp?) has a new one called "Appetite for Reduction" which contains recipes lower in calories and fat than her previous cookbooks. Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" has had good reviews as well.

There are some good cheese substitutes these days - Daiya is very popular, as is Tofutti's "Better Than Cream Cheese". It might help for you to know there are decent options as you transition. It also helps if you up the flavor of your foods as you get used to them being cheeseless - add a bit of sea salt or garlic salt, or chopped olives to things you are used to having cheesy. Hummus and guacamole are also good for curbing the cravings for creamy stuff.

Best of luck - feel free to ask any questions. We were all new at this at one point in time, and we're happy to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome replies!

Poppy - Picked up Appetite for Reduction for the Kindle App, and I've spotted quite a few recipes I want to try. Thanks for the tip.

I had the big talk with my husband, and although he was speechless at first about my decision to cut out the dairy and cheese, as I explained why I wanted to, he was 100% supportive.

We are going to try Vegan eating...we already have a good start to it (Everything is already Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian - no animal products other than egg/dairy in our food), so it's just this last step. I have a long way to go before being a true Vegan, as I noticed a lot of my household products are not Vegan (I used to be stricter about this). But I think I will eventually get there. One step at a time...first our diets, then our entire lives.

I need to do research on Method products. I do love their products, but I'm not entirely sure they are Vegan. - ETA - According to their website, Method products are 100% Vegan except their Moisturizing coconut cream and honey hand wash. YAY!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Howdy, Y'all. Kick your shoes off. Set a spell!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts