VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Alyssa, or Lys for short. My username is from Fallout 3 - my absolute favorite game! I'm a 20 year old college student and barista, known mostly for serving up sass rather than actual coffee. I'm from Montana, popular spot for hunting, fishing, eating bull testicles, and steak and more steak. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only vegan in my hometown. Sometimes I feel like the only person in a 50 mile radius that can name 3 different types of mushrooms. So I came here! I figured it would be nice to have somewhere I could chat with people living through similar experiences as vegans from hearing 'BUT BACON BACON BACON' every day to the perils of concocting the perfect fake cheese. My omnivorous friends and family don't appreciate my veg humor, but I hope I might be more welcomed here! Also, of course I LOVE to cook and hope I can share recipes and get tips on cooking from other vegan chefs.

For those wondering - I have been vegan for 6 months straight after being vegetarian for 2 years. I tried going vegan previously but I wasn't quite prepared for it, but now with my new nutrition education (I'm actually studying dietetics in college) and cooking skills being vegan is a breeze!

I went vegan for ethical reasons after being exposed to various documentaries on factory farming. My dream is to one day live in a vegan world rather than a world where every meal has to be covered in cheese and fried in lard. I quite like my rabbit food, and I do actually have 2 adorable little lagomorph companions and yes we do share food on occasion.

NOW I'M JUST RAMBLING.
Nice to meet you all!
-Lys:)

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Hi Lys! :hi: What a charming intro. Welcome to VB!

Reactions: LysTheLoneWanderer

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Welcome Alyssa! Wow, you really are going against the tide there! How awesome that you are sticking to your values and beliefs!

When I saw you are from Montana the first thing I thought of was Howard Lyman. Have you ever heard of him? He was a cattle rancher and feedlot owner for years before becoming vegan and turning into an activist.
http://www.madcowboy.com/01_AboutPS.000.html

At any rate he lived in Montana for years. Wonder what your friends/family would think of him lol.

Glad to see a vegan chef on board! I love to cook too and because I cooked from scratch a lot before going vegan it was a very easy transition for me too. Best wishes on your journey and hope to see you around the boards!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Capstan and Naturebound for the welcome!

I haven't heard about Howard Lyman actually, thank you for the information! I'm going to have to read up on him. Glad to know there is at least 1 other vegan here in MT, haha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts