VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I gound this site through a Google search for a vegetarian forum. I chose the vegetarian route very recently for health reasons (cholesterol), and have moved to a mostly vegan diet in fairly short order. The original move towards vegan was simply because I found out that I could completely remove all cholesterol from my diet and still eat great tasting food while getting still getting complete nutrition (with guidance from several books).

It has not been easy, and I have been doing this for only 5 weeks, but in that short span I have managed to develop enough of a menu that I can go on with this diet without getting bored of the food. That was my #1 goal so that I would not have to feel tempted to break the diet.

My original plan was to do this diet thing for a year, take a check on things, and go on from there. I feel so much better after just these 5 weeks that I'm convinced I will keep on after that year is over. Additionally, I have always loved animals and now that I don't eat them anymore for selfish reasons like my health, I also find myself realizing I didn't ever need to be eating them in the first place. I have had many issues with the way the meat industry has been heading, so I feel somewhat empowered now by knowing I can simply boycott them. Let alone all of the nice feelings associated with knowing I do not have a part in a bunch of animals slaughter is actually relieving in many ways. More ways than I would have guessed before I ever considered going vegetarian. This does come with some remorse for all of the indulgent animal eating I have done for all of the previous 35 years of my life. So I guess if I can hope to live to 70, I can at least achieve a balance by making the last 35 years meat free.

Oh crap, I rambled, I tend to do that sometimes. Sorry. I'll try and wrap this up quick.

I'm a 35 year old happily married man living in Kansas with my 2 wonderful sons, 11 and 7. I am at this time the only vegetarian in the house, and my wife who also adores animals has absolutely no plans on moving vegetarian, and I am not about to strain our relationship by trying to convince her of anything. Perhaps by example she may change, and she should for her own health. But I am not going to become her dietetic adversary. As for the kids, they have been growing up eating what we eat, except being very picky about it. I am not about to impose anything on them either, but will be able to toss much more nutritious and healthy options there way now that I am stocking the house with good food for myself. They love fruit and a few other things I use of course, and I let them have anything they ask for, even if I had my eyes on it.

I did it again. I rambled on. I warned you about that. I do that sometimes.

Well, that should be enough for now.

Oh, I had to use this smiley. While it is obviously a dancing broccoli, I prefer to think of it as a green banana with a 'fro.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Good intro .... you seemed to have thought through a lot of issues liked the part about not forcing any one to your way of thinking .

But come on you might have to fine tune the living to only 70 up wards a bit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts