VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I've been a vegetarian on and off since I realized as a kid that meat comes from animals and that they have to die for it. However, it is very hard to overcome a lifetime of eating habits, and my family dinner table always had a roast, or a chicken, or pork chops, or meatloaf - you get the picture.

I've come a very long way just these past few months, starting the day that I started reading about the SHAC7 and HLS. I watched that video of those bastards torturing beagle puppies, and I wish I hadn't, because it's been the most painful change of all - I cried for two days over that. It really did bring me to the brink - what kind of world are we in, if there are enough sociopaths to staff a place like that?

I have a 2 year old beagle that I love like he was my own child. He's very attached to me, he thinks I'm God's gift to beagles. The video, while I still love my doggie very much, changed the way I look at him; the way I feel about him - now my love for him is tainted with such sadness that sometimes I still cry over it.

What has happened is that my blinders were ripped off - and it hurts. I don't want to be the cause, directly or indirectly as a consumer, of any more horror - so I won't eat meat, and I won't buy products that use animal testing. I can't go back to how I was before. I can't ignore the fact that animals suffer horrible pain and fear at OUR HANDS.

Hope I find some kindred spirits here - I found you through Google (gotta love Google).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Liane

I just joined this site today, as well. It is said there is no such thing as a coincidence - so I would be certain that we will find many kindred spirits here. I also found this site through a google search.

I was just going to introduce myself when I read your post and decided to reply. I can relate to what you have written. Eating meat was a lifestyle we learned from the time we were children - and it becomes the norm - so much so that one disregards the reality of the situation.

I, too, share my home with animal friends. My dog is 14 1/2 years old (and still full of energy!) and she is definately my cat's mentor. I have always loved and respected other animals and have a very hard time understanding cruelty. This paradox I have been living with (eating meat and feeling the way I do towards other creatures) has led me here. I can no longer justify eating meat. For me it has become a personal choice. We, as humans, are supposed to be superior in intellect - that to me also means we must be superior in our humanity, as well. I cannot tolerate any form of cruelty - so I must be true to myself. Animals most certainly feel emotion - they also dream, just as we do.

Anyway - I'm glad I found this site. I think it's a positive way to begin a whole new lifestyle.

See you around the site.

Mari

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Both of you, welcome to VB!

It's sometimes hard to deal with the knowledge of the cruelty. We have had a few threads here discussing this. I hope VB is a good resource/conversation place/safe haven for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.