VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when making green juices in a blender (cause i don't have a juicer) how do you do that? just throw them in like ya do fruit and blend? does anyone have some good mixtures i should try? coming from vegan to raw foodist, but not all the way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yep just throw them in the blender - highest speed is best to get them as 'juice' like as possible. I like spinach myself - it is a lighter green and easy to blend. Greens like kale will only get so smooth and will always have a certain chunkiness to them if you just blend them (you would need to run them through a special juicer to get just juice).

Basic rule is: the most fiberous the green (think like celery) the less 'juice-like' and more bulky it will be (for just blending that is).

What you could do to is after you blend your greens to run the final mixture through a strainer (or sieve - whatever you call it). This will take out some of bulk and leave you with more of juice blend.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
...and save the pulp! you can freeze it and use it in recipes for the dehydrator or even when you want to make smoothies.

·
Banned
97 Posts
You can usually find juicers for like 5 bucks at a thrift store if you look in a couple diff. ones. It's a lot different than blended food, even though blended food is definatley great.

·
Registered
898 Posts
With one of the higher priced (but multi-tasking) juicers, it really is worth it if you are going to get creative with your juices. My bf has a Green Star electric and you can put everything through that thing. Greens, fruits, grasses, and even nuts! You can also buy manual juicers that will juice many of these things - they are cheaper but you will need some arm strength! I have a ZStar Tribest Manual. I think it was 60$.

I had a Breville electric once - it juiced things like whole apples and cucumber without taking the skins off - I couldn't juice greens or nuts in it though. It died after a year.

I would recommend checking Craigslist or Ebay too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A favourite green juice of mine is cucumber and celery. mm-mm.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Cucumber juice is amazing. Cucumber is actually a type of melon, which is why it's seeds look like cantaloupe and honeydew seeds. The seeds are hard to chew though which is why I love to juice it
So refreshing and hydrating...fairly easy to grow your own organic cucumbers too

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cacao kid View Post

Cucumber juice is amazing. Cucumber is actually a type of melon, which is why it's seeds look like cantaloupe and honeydew seeds. The seeds are hard to chew though which is why I love to juice it
So refreshing and hydrating...fairly easy to grow your own organic cucumbers too
You can get a good lot of juice out of a cucumber too!

I didn't know it was a sort of melon!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't have a juicer, either, but I have a super high-powered food processor and running the mix through a strainer gives me pretty much the same product that a juicer would. Although, after reading this thread, I really want to get a juicer now.

My favorite mixture at the moment is Bok choy ( XD haha, it was what we had in the fridge and I really like how the white part is sweet), mandarin oranges, cranberries and cucumber. As a warning, though, I do have odd taste, so take caution if you decide to make this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts