VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's preschool teacher recently read Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham to the class, and now she is all fired up about eating green eggs and ham. (
) I explained to her that we don't eat ham because pigs are our friends and we love them, but she is just too excited about it and won't let it drop. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

·
Registered
812 Posts
uh oh. I think you should try to get some mock meats, and, green potatoes? Or something like that, but explain to her that it's fake. Sorry I cant think of anything else =/ Good luck though! and by the way, I think your daughter is very very lucky to be growing up with a vegetarian mother =]

11,550 Posts
yeah, i'd go with some mock ham (make your own from tofu, or buy some of those weird fake meats, lol), and if you eat eggs, see if you can get some green eggs from a local farmers market or somewhere- eggs don't just come in white and brown, they come in beautiful shades of pink and green and blue too.

otherwise, i'd either make some green scrambled tofu... put some green herbs, crumbled cooked broccolli, avacado, or spinach powder or something else green in it or something, or for fried style eggs, use a sliced avacado half for the yolk, and some vegan mayo for the white.

or you could just buy/borrow a book like 'the avacado baby' see: http://www.amazon.com/Avocado-Baby-R.../dp/0099200619 and hope thats her next crazy food fad. the avocado baby is a pretty cool book, incidently, from what i remember- it got my little bro to finally eat something other than digestive biscuits, when we were kids, much to my mothers delight.

·
Registered
0 Posts
green eggs and ham don't exist. kids are forever making stuff up- my bosses daughter has been telling everyone for weeks she's a horse, including only eating salad for dinner. why don't you just tell her green eggs and ham are just pretend?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I grew up omni, and my parents never ever made me green eggs and ham. It doesn't have to be an ethics issue. Explain to her that green eggs and ham is make-believe, and when eggs or ham are actually green, it usually means the have spoiled and will make you sick...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Maybe you could decorate cookies or cupcakes or something to look like green eggs and ham (maybe veganize something like this http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...ecipe?id=50149). Or you could explain that the book is about trying new foods to see if you like them, and even though green eggs and ham aren't real she could go to the store and pick out some "weird" new foods to try (don't know if she is an adventurous eater).

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
At least they didn't actually have green eggs and ham at her school when they read the book . . . that's what happened when I was in preschool.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
At least they didn't actually have green eggs and ham at her school when they read the book . . . that's what happened when I was in preschool.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If your kid's teacher read Cat In The Hat would you feel obliged to stuff a feline into a fedora just to appease her? I mean, does your kid have to have everything she wants?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

Us too. Shame on my school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

stuff a feline into a fedora
Great idea!! That'll learn 'em to poop on the bathroom floor. Mu-ha-ha-ha....

Consarnit! They're too fat.

~Wondre

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

green eggs and ham don't exist. kids are forever making stuff up- my bosses daughter has been telling everyone for weeks she's a horse, including only eating salad for dinner. why don't you just tell her green eggs and ham are just pretend?
I read this post to mean that they were giving the kiddo green eggs and ham at school. As other posters noted, serving these foods as part of class activities isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

serving these foods as part of class activities isn't uncommon.
I would question the educational validity of feeding young children cholesterol and food colouring.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I would question the educational validity of feeding young children cholesterol and food colouring.
I'm not supporting this decision, I'm just saying that it's a fairly common activity.

ETA: That was supposed to be posted by IamJen.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Scrambled eggs (or tofu, I guess), soy deli slices, and food colouring. Voila. She'd probably be thrilled!

Or for a more natural version, you could scramble the eggs with a bunch of green veg, ie. broccoli, peas, green onion, etc.

·
Registered
471 Posts
my ds LOVES that book (he's 3 1/2). And any dr. seuss book, really. In fact, it seems like a lot of children's books make references to eating [email protected][email protected]? have you ever noticed that?

We make a joke out of it and change the "ham" to "tofu" and then have big giggles because nothing rhymes anymore. But, he just knows that some people do eat ham- we don't and obviously the story is about someone who DOES.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, thanks for all of your suggestions! Fortunately the problem resolved itself. We were at the grocery store the other day and Michaela asked if we could buy some green eggs and ham. I took her over to the meat counter and showed an actual ham to her.

"This is ham--do you really want to eat it?"

She made a disgusted face and shook her head, and that was the end of that.

Quote:
If your kid's teacher read Cat In The Hat would you feel obliged to stuff a feline into a fedora just to appease her? I mean, does your kid have to have everything she wants?
jeezycreezy-- I am not an overindulgent mother and am not concerned about disappointing my kids every once in awhile. It's just that there were a lot of other issues in play here. For example, as an author, I hold all books in the highest regard and encourage my children to be as intellectually curious as possible. I do everything in my power to enable them to freely explore their artistic and literary passions. And while I have no intention of buying or serving animal products to my family, at the same time I do not want veganism to be something forced upon my kids.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts