VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
We are delighted to announce that the Greek Government has banned the use of all animals in circuses following a campaign by ADI and the Greek Animal Welfare Fund (GAWF), backed by over 50 local animal protection groups across Greece. The new animal protection law also addresses a number of important issues concerning stray animals.
Quote:
Evgenia Mataragka of the GAWF, based in Athens said: We are delighted that Greece has said no to cruelty in the name of entertainment. We have witnessed terrible suffering of animals in traveling circuses here and these animals often have to endure long journeys by sea from Italy. Many municipalities have already banned animal circuses in Greece, so we believe that this will be a popular with Greek people.

Greece is the first country in Europe to ban all animals from circuses and similar performances. Austria currently has a ban on wild animal acts, and several European countries including Portugal, Denmark and Croatia have measures to ban or phase out wild animals in circuses.
http://www.ad-international.org/anim...id=2528&ssi=10

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That's great news and sets a legal and ethical precedence for animals in Greece.

Of course, mathematically, the average person attends a circus less than half a dozen times in his life, but eats animal products at least 365 times per year. I have to question whether our limited time and resources should be spent on promoting the slight betterment of the lives of the fewest animals, or encouraging people to make daily purchasing choices which can help the most animals.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That is really fantastic and surprising for a Southern European country.

I wish that they would do the same thing overhere.

I just feel awful when the circus arrives for it's annual visit. They just tie up the poor animals virtually on the roadside and leave them to graze on polluted grass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts