VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a work a pamphlet from the California dry beans advisory board that has lots of great info. They don't have a pdf of this cute brochure on their site, but they have all the same info. Great intro on nutrition, varieties, cooking, and recipes.

http://www.calbeans.com

·
Registered
507 Posts
See, I would LOVE to try baby lima beans because they seem to be really high in iron, but I read on the package that you have to soak them overnight. I don't like soaking. I am scared that bacteria might get caught in it while it soaks, and I am a *very* impatient person, so if I want my beans, I want them NOW,

Is there any way that you can get around the soaking?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
any bacteria that show up in soaking beans will be quickly killed off during the subsequent boiling.

that being said, sometimes when i forget to soak my beans i use a "quick soak" method. i cover the beans with a couple of inches of water and bring it all to a boil, and let them cook for a couple of minutes. then i turn the heat off, cover the pot, and let them sit for an hour. when the hour is up i drain them completely and rinse them and the pot clean, then fill up the pot with fresh water that covers the beans by a couple of inches and simmer them until tender.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

See, I would LOVE to try baby lima beans because they seem to be really high in iron, but I read on the package that you have to soak them overnight. I don't like soaking. I am scared that bacteria might get caught in it while it soaks, and I am a *very* impatient person, so if I want my beans, I want them NOW,

Is there any way that you can get around the soaking?
I actually have a wonderful bean cookbook. It says that the longest you really need to soak ANY bean is 4 hours. I've tried that with lots of beans, and it seems correct!! Just soak them in a pot when you wake up in the morning and they'll be ready to start cooking by lunchtime.

I've never heard anything about bacteria getting into them. You could go ahead and pour out the "old" water after soaking them and replace it with fresh water when you go to cook them. That should help any bacteria situation, maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts