VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the new Angelica Home Kitchen cookbook. Some of the best hummus I've ever had and a lot of it too! Enjoy!!

1 1/2 cups of dried chickpeas

6 cups of water

1/2 cup tahini

2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, strained

2 cloves, garlic, halved lengthwise

1 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp sea salt

Pinch of Cayenne pepper

3/4 cup water (or reserved chickpea cooking liquid)

Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours in the 6 cups of cold water. Drain the chickpeas, place in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan, and cover with fresh water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until the peas are tender. Drain and reserve cooking liquid.

Combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and cayenne in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. With the machine running gradually add the water (or cooking liquid), processing until the mixture is creamy and smooth. If the sides become caked with the bits of unpureed peas, scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Taste to adjust the seasonings. Serve with pita and black olives.

Notes: You can speed up the cooking time by placing the chickpeas in 2-3 quart pressure cooker covering the peas by 1 inch, cooking for 45 minutes. Also, if the peas are taking too long to soften (while soaking), you can add a little baking powder to the water. If you want the peas to hold their shape for a salad, don't pressure cook for any longer than 30 minutes.

Have fun!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is the cookbook where you got the recipe from written by the restaurant Angelica's Kitchen in NYC? If so, do they mention the recipe for their corn bread? Not the southern corn bread, but the one that has brown rice in it. I miss it so much even though it sits like lead in your stomach. That, topped with a little tahini spread, and I'm in heaven.

BTW, I was just looking for a hummus recipe the other day. Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my previous recipe is from Angelica Kitchen in NYC. the cookbook is fabulous. i read it like a bible, and i've only had it for a week! here's the recipe you asked for. enjoy!

1 recipe of Basic Brown Rice [let me know if you need this as well]

1 1/3 cups rolled oats

1 1/3 cups cornmeal

1/2 TB sea salt

3 cups apple cider or apple juice

1/4 cup unrefined corn oil plus more for brushing the baking pan

2 TB sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, rolled oatsm cornmeal, sea salt, apple cider (or juice) and corn oil. Mix well using a wooden spoon or whisk. Lightly oil a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds. This prevents the bread from sticking to the pan and adds a delicious toasty sesame flavor. Fill the pan with batter, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake on the middle rack of the over for 1 hour and 15 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving. Serve wth spread of choice and top with sprouts or grated vegetables.

Yield: 6-8 generous pieces; 1 small loaf

Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Considerd: "lumpy, moist, chewy, fiber-filled whole-grain loaf."

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so happy. I have all the ingredients too.

When you said 1 basic recipe of brown rice, does that mean 1 cup, and is there anything special about that recipe?

One more favour please....does the book include the tahini miso spread recipe?

Ya know, in the past I've thought about calling the restaurant to ask them to mail a loaf to me. When friends come to visit from NY I'll sometimes ask them to bring a loaf. So once again, thank you!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Miso-tahini spread recipe

This savory spread-smooth, salty, and rich -goes well with all different kinds of breads. In combination with one of the daily bread, this is one of our most popular side orders.

Serving suggestion: Use it as a sandwich spread with toasted sourdough, roasted vegetables, and lettuce.

Possible additions: Orange zest or a squeeze of lemon or chopped chives or roasted garlic.

Note: Make sure the tahini is well mixed before using. If it sits for and length of time, oil separation may occur. Simply stir it to a smooth consistency and proceed. This recipe yields a rather thick spread. If you like it thinner, add 1/4 to 1/2-cup additional water when pureeing.

Yield: 2 Cups

1/3 Cup mellow barley miso

1/2 cup water

1 1/3 cup tahini

Combine the miso with 1/2-cup water in a food processor or suribachi. Puree until creamy.

Add tahini and process until smooth.

Cover and refrigerate. It will keep up to 5 days.

Spread on bread of choice and top with sprouts or grated vegetables.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is so many good Hummas recipes out there. I wish somebody would write a Hummas cookbook. Any good cookbook writers out there?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Here is what it says about basic brown rice:

The key to cooking rice properly is to use a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid. Once the rice comes to a boil, do not disturb it until all the water is absorbed. When a chopstick is poked down through the rice and you feel the grains sticking to the bottom of the pan a little, you know it's ready.

Yield: 3 cups

Cooking time: 40 to 45 minutes

1 cup organic short-grain brown rice

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 1/2 cups water

Place the rice in a strainer, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.

Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat in a 1-quart saucepan with lid.

Add the salt and rice.

When the water returns to a boil, reduce the flame to low.

Cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender.

Remove the pan from the heat and allow the rice to rest for a few minutes before serving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts