VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Great Bear Rainforest is located in British Columbia, and it is home to the Kermode bear, a very rare species known as the Spirit Bear.

The government of Canada is planning on building an oil pipeline through the forest. They want to transport crude oil from the oil sands to the coast of BC. This type of oil is very thick, and corrosive. There are several reported problems with the containment and transportation of this crude oil.

A pipeline through BC will not only endanger the wildlife in the forest (bears, wolves, cougars) but also the creatures in the ocean (whales, seals, salmon, otters, etc.).

They have not completed sufficient research or insituted proper safety standards. They are trying to push through and build the pipeline regardless, because of the monetary benefits.

Something needs to be done. I have links, but I'm not sure if its ok to post them.

Spirit Bear

·
Banned
136 Posts
You're a tad mixed up.

The so called Kermode Bear is just a colour phase nothing more-I've seen a black sow with both black and white cubs-this was near Douglas Channel.

Your pipeline info is also skewed but I don't have time to correct even your most egregious errors.

Suffice it to say that logging is still the greatest threat to Bears, Salmon, Wolves than any proposed pipeline.

In order to inform yourself I suggest you book a flight on Hawkair from Vancouver to Terrace and if you're lucky (or not) you'll see the extent of the damage already done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "so called Kermode bear" aka Ursus americanus kermodei is a sub species of a black bear with a recessive gene that results in a white bear. I'm not mixed up.

I'm not debating whether or not logging is destroying the forests. I think that's rather obvious, don't you?

But please, since you're so well informed and so much more experienced with the matter, correct my egregious errors. It would be significantly more helpful than posting snarky comments that are a little more "b*tchy" than "informative".

·
Banned
136 Posts
Your most egregious error is one most white people make-failing to acknowledge that the mythical/warm & fuzzy GBR is in fact the traditional territory of the Oweekeno, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Haisla, Henaaksiala, Wet'suwet'en, & Tsimshian peoples.

They have inhabited the area for at least 10,000 years and possibly as much as 15,000.

The politics are complex and nuanced.

Some indigenous welcome the attention the white bears have brought others not so much you have to visit the area and talk to a lot people-which I have been doing for decades collecting art-to even gather of a glimpse of the complexities.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are presumptious and rude. You are projecting your failings on to me. I do not assume anything. You assume I'm white (which is funny, because in this context, its racist..the ignorant white man, so incapable of understanding the complexities of the natives...please) and you assume I lack the knowledge that the land is inhabited by first nations. You assume I know nothing about what I've posted about, when in reality, I have researched it for quite a long time. You are a troll. You have taken my thread, which was of a matter vastly important to me, and have turned it in to this nonsense.

You may have travelled there. I do not know, I will not assume. You haven't proven yourself trustworthy, so I won't take your word for it. All I can judge based on your behavior is that you do not want people to care about this.

The first nations that inhabit the area may appreciate the attention, but I doubt any of them would appreciate an oil spill. I hope that you continue to make your travels there when the area is ravaged by the results of a governments monetary greed. But I doubt you would. You seem like a fair weather friend.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatrabbit View Post

posting snarky comments that are a little more "b*tchy"
Quote:

You are presumptious and rude. You are projecting your failings on to me. You have taken my thread, which was of a matter vastly important to me, and have turned it in to this nonsense.
You haven't proven yourself trustworthy, so I won't take your word for it. All I can judge based on your behavior is that you do not want people to care about this.
Quote:

You are a troll.
I don't even know who the troll is in this thread anymore.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually edited quite a bit for people like you, Envy. Perhaps that was a waste of time. And perhaps it would behoove you to look up the definition of an internet troll.

For Mr. Barilko to imply that I made egregious errors in my post was intended to make me defensive. It was a b*tchy snarky comment.

If you look up projection, you will find it is a defense mechanism. The subject sees their failings in everyone else. For Mr. Barilko to make so many assumptions and accuse me of assuming is projection.

He is a troll because he is not contributing to my thread (preserving the forest from the oil pipeline) he posts about himself (his knowledge of the indigenous people, his extensive experience with the area) and throws mud on my knowledge of the area and its inhabitants. He is purposefully taking the thread on a tangent. That behavior is presumptuous and rude. It is also the behavior of a troll.

I stand by everything that I said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously though, I don't want to engage in stupid fights online. I just hope people click on my links and actually research it rather than getting bogged down in this snark fest. That said, I'm not posting to this thread again.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:

You are presumptious and rude. You are projecting your failings on to me.
What you call failings I call 30+ years of first hand knowledge.

Quote:

You assume I know nothing about what I've posted about, when in reality, I have researched it for quite a long time. You are a troll. You have taken my thread, which was of a matter vastly important to me, and have turned it in to this nonsense.
Your internet research is nothing more than fifth hand regurgitated nonsense-and that's being polite about it.

Quote:

You may have travelled there. I do not know, I will not assume. You haven't proven yourself trustworthy, so I won't take your word for it. All I can judge based on your behavior is that you do not want people to care about this.
There is no may about it-I visit regularly that's how I know so much more than you about the issues.(Of course comparing my knowledge to your is a bit silly I admit.)

Quote:

The first nations that inhabit the area may appreciate the attention
How would you know when you've never met any of them?

Do you have any idea of the grinding poverty those people exist in daily?

Schools that are a joke, medical clinics that are little more than shacks and promises, promises, promises frmo all level of govt.

To some people any chance of breaking the long entrenched cycle of depression/poverty/substance & familial abuse is to be considered not rejected out of hand.

Quote:

I doubt any of them would appreciate an oil spill. I hope that you continue to make your travels there when the area is ravaged by the results of a governments monetary greed. But I doubt you would. You seem like a fair weather friend.
Yet more childish pronouncements on a situation you've only read about on the internet.

Why not start planning a trip today-take a few weeks if not months next summer and travel the ferries to place like Klemtu, Hartley Bay & Bella Bella? spend some time staying in local accommodation and speak with all kinds of people-if you know how that is.

Are you afraid to learn that there really is no such place as your mythical GBR-just like old Santa Claus?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Watch that video. For some reason I can't embed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts