VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great article! Thanks for sharing.

I definitely don't plan on giving my children cow's milk. There's not a doubt in my mind that the stuff is poison. My ped told my mother to give me cow's milk when I was 8 months old . Can you believe that? No wonder I had chronic ear infections.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What's really weird is all this stuff about how milk makes you sick... when I was a very small baby, I had to have soy cause otherside I wuld get sick. I went through most of my groeing up years drinking a couple glasses a day, and I NEVER got sick (my bro did, though) Props to my good immune system

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm suspicious of an article on nutrition that only gives evidence that supports the authors point of view.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
"The calcium in cow's milk is pasteurised and therefore inorganic which means that it is largely unusable to the human body." Pasteurization may have influence on the the binding of calcium to proteins, but Calcium then would be easier to absorb.

Some amino acids must be buffered and calcium is used to do this. Animal protein is rich in sulfuric amino acids, which are especially harmful in this respect. Cow´s milk also contains more phosphorus than calcium. That´s another reason for the negative calcium balance.

The dairy industry argues with the good absorption of calcium out of milk, but they won´t talk about the negative balance.

I think the idea of the article is great, but somehow I would use other material to argue.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Great article indeed, but nevertheless I'll have to say Kyo has a point; if some opposing views were debated in the article , it would have been even more convincing.

But still very interesting.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I had to have soy as a baby because I was allergic, but at that time it seemed like an imperative that children drink milk...so my parents kept introducing milk to me until I could 'stomach it.' One of the things I most remember as a child was going to school every morning with an upset stomach. The milk that was in my cereal always made me sick...queasy. I drank milk until 33 and had colds, allergies, sinus infections all the time. It was more common for me to have a sinus infection than not in the past six or seven years. Now that I don't have dairy in my life, I'm healthier than i ever remember being. And when I get a cold, it passes in three or four days as opposed to a month.

Never has anyone been more convinced that cows milk is not for people...but for cows.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
The incidence of osteoporosis is lowest in the countries where the least amount of dairy products are consumed, and where protein consumption is highest, osteoporosis is most common
I don't quite understand this. I'd bet that most eskimos consume little or no dairy products. So then, why such a high incidence of osteoporosis?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Actually, a modern-day Inuit's diet is probably not so different from the average western diet. It's very high in animal protein. They supplement their diet with "wild" foods, but they don't entirely live off the land anymore. Most live in cities or towns now, thus an increasing exposure to items like cheese, milk over cold cereal, ice cream, soda, alcoholic beverages, high-sodium processed foods, etc.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Tofuhead´s remark has it´s point. Osteoporosis is lowest in countries, which consume low amounts of dairy products. Inuit, if looked upon as a country, would falls into this category. Consuming dairy products is only one factor affecting osteoporosis. If you look at traditional living peoples, Inuit have the highest intake of calcium and vitamin D, but they also the highest rate of osteoporosis. The reason has Azalea already given. Vegan (?) living Bantu have a low intake of calcium, I read 350 mg daily, but hardly any osteoporosis. They eat hardly any animal product and also protein intake is very low.

Tearhsong2: you´re right, but lots of Inuit cannot digest lactose as well as succrose, because they lack the necessary enzymes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts