VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if there's a thread about this already (likely there is) but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

I used to think that most packaged gravies were vegetarian, but now I'm not so sure. I was looking at the ingredients on the ones in the grocery store, and many obviously stated 'chicken fat' or 'flavor(from chicken)' but many only say 'flavor' and I don't trust them.

Do they have to state whether the 'flavor' is from an animal source?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You shouldn't trust them. Mirriam-Webster defines gravy as: 'sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat'

The most common vegan 'gravy' in grocery stores seems to be Campbell's Mushroom Gravy. It's the only one I've found so far, but I'm not sure if it's gravy in the truest sense...

I tried some yesterday on my mashed potaters, and it was OK, but I'd be fine without it...

·
Registered
437 Posts
not sure if this will help but here's my recipe for onion gravy ... I haven't ever bought gravy premade as it's so easy to make from scratch
1. prepare some vegetable stock (about half a litre) and put to one side (I think Kallo in the UK do a organic vegetarian stock cube which will work just fine)
2. in a small pan melt 1 tablespoon butter or oil and slowly fry 1 small diced or sliced yellow onion until translucent and starting to brown a little, mix in 1 table spoon plain flour (say a table spoon each)
3. add a ladle full of the stock and stir vigorously till the mixture is smooth and thickened. Keep adding ladles of stock and stir till you have achieved the desired consistency (for colour you can add some soy sauce)
Season with herbs & pepper as you see fit. I'm a fan of adding whole pink peppercorns to the frying onion for a peppery sauce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts