VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when eating grains, and after eating them I feel like eating more, is that hunger or is that the seratonin craving released by t he grains? I seem to love oatmeal so so much, but I don't know if it is healthy to eat it if I overdo it a lot.<br><br><br><br>
And, is homemade wheat bread healthy? Or is it not really?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Oatmeal is good for you so eat up!!<br><br><br><br>
Homemade wheat bread can be healthy if it's whole wheat bread. If the ingredients that go into it are good for you, then the bread is good for you.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Keegan, I think you should go with more WHOLE grains...not less. They are VERY filling. I find that if I for instance eat white rice, I am hungry again in a minute, but if I eat brown or barley, MAN, that fills me up for a long time and I don't have that continuous craving.<br><br><br><br>
But when you are eating processed cereals and stuff, as long as there is added sugar, you are going to get that continued feeling of wanting more. I seriously think it's the sugar you are after right now. That it is becoming...for lack of a better word, an addiction. I find the more sugar I eat, the more I want. For instance, around candy holidays (easter, christmas halloween)...whenever there is candy and I get 'used' to eating some every day...it is HARD for me to go back to not eating it.<br><br><br><br>
I know everyone here has been saying to you to just eat whatever...to treat yourself as much as possible and I think that's good (we've all wanted you to just eat). But I think to that if you really want to acheive balance (emotionally, physically) you are going to have to balance your diet. Less processed, more natural. Definitely more variety. Less sweeteners of any kind. Don't think of this as a way to limit your calorie intake. You need good fruits and veggies, whole carbos and protiens and most definitely natural fats.<br><br><br><br>
What the sugar always does to me, and I think is doing to you...is lifting you up for a little while, giving you an emotional lift...and then letting you off on the other end...crashed. In this way it is much like a drug. This, IMO is part of your 'emotional exhaustion.' The sugar is puting you up and down, up and down. You said you go from crazy, to okay, to sad...all day most days. I'd say that your emotions are at lest somewhat being controled by your sugar intake.<br><br><br><br>
Something to think about anyway. Try taking a look and FOLLOWING one of Kristab's old menu plans for you. See what happens. There's a lot of good foods there, good calories, good nutrients.<br><br><br><br>
And I hope you remember here, I'm not talking about your weight at all...I think you are doing very well. I'm talking about another issue...sugar.<br><br><br><br>
B

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
keegan i do that too...most foods im fine but oatmeal, pasta etc...im addicted and go back for seconds and thirds and forths lol. but they are all healthy, low fat and highly recommended so go for it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
hey keegan... i'm with bethanie... u do have to watch the sugar intake because it does make u crash a little after an immediate lift, i know for me it can make me a bit moody and depressed... so can caffeien which is why i had to ditch that... it seriously turned me demonic after a while!<br><br><br><br>
so go for more quality nutrients that will keep u balanced and healthy (and whole grainy breads are great for this) that will keep u satisfied...<br><br><br><br>
and remember variety is the spice of life!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Keegan<br><br>
about the cravings...<br><br><br><br>
I found that snacking all day completely gets rid of cravings.<br><br>
I snack of nuts, seeds, raisins, fruit, and as long as I eat something small every 1-2 hours in between meals, and I drink lots of water, my cravings disappear.<br><br><br><br>
Snacking balances out your blood sugar level throughout the day and believe it or not, it is ideal for losing weight. In fact, when you eat a lot of sugar-containing foods, you will have high insulin levels which in turn promote fat storage. But if you never allow your blood sugar to get too low (causes cravings which in turn make you eat bad food) or too high (weight gain), you will experience a noticeable improvement in your energy level.<br><br><br><br>
dee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts