VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm graduating on May 23rd and, of course, my parents are planning a graduation party for me. Typically, at a graduation party, you will find food of some sort.. hors d'oeuvres or sandwiches.. whatever. Well, my parents are beginning to ask me what we should serve at my party. They think that we should do some meat and cheese trays with crackers, ham/turkey sandwiches, coleslaw, and chips - something easy that everybody will enjoy (I live in a community where vegetarianism and veganism are non-exsistant.)

I, on the other hand, think that because it is MY party.. and I'm against eating flesh and the like.. that we should stick to vegan foods. I offered to make vegan cake MYSELF... but my mom is stuck on buying a cake (because they look better). I'm trying to come up with other vegan foods that will please the meat and potato people that will be at my graduation. Any quick, easy ideas? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
How about Sloppy Joes? There are many great veg*n recipes for sloppy joes online. Advantages: easily made ahead of time (you can even make & freeze it), generally well-liked, easily served out (all you need is a crockpot or two and some buns), and filling. I make mine with reconstituted TVP, so it's pretty cheap to make

·
Registered
950 Posts
i'm with you stellar. if it's your party, you should definitely do your foods. go for some munchable fruits and vegetables - fruit salad instead of meat & cheese. Also, toast up some pita bread and put it out with some hummus. I don't think i've ever met hummus-haters. Or, you could just completely not care and go for the gusto. Break out the tofu and watch them cringe. Let them taste it and watch them smile. Maybe you can start a new neighborhood craze.

-congratulations on your graduation-

·
Registered
0 Posts
Or... chili is a crowd-pleaser (same advantages as sloppy joes)... make a bunch of cornbread muffins (make ahead and freeze), and voila!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can serve out potato salad with either of these recipes to round things out
Again, there are great recipes for vegan potato salad online... just poke around

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I made some nice tofu spread (for use on crackers) on my last party
. No-one really hated it (except for my sister who hates anything made with tofu). Making stuff to dip the chips in shouldn't be hard either.

Also: making good-looking cakes isn't too hard

On a side note, I did serve non veg*n food. I didn't quite like it, but it was a joint celebration.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am graduating May 23 too! Yay us!

Anyway I am having the exact same situation with my graduation party- my mom wants to have meat and cheese trays. The chilli is a really good idea, I will have to mention it to my mom. Also the hummus for sandwiches or dipping. I think we will still have a meat tray just because I am really doing this whole party thing just to make my mom happy... I personally do not fell like having one... long story.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stellar26

I, on the other hand, think that because it is MY party.. and I'm against eating flesh and the like.. that we should stick to vegan foods. I offered to make vegan cake MYSELF... but my mom is stuck on buying a cake (because they look better).
I think you should go for it... Fruit and veggie trays are traditional at parties, so no one should notice anything different as far as they are concerned. Someone mentioned hummus and pita wedges -- absolutely a great idea. Nuts mixes are good. Sorbet instead of ice cream (or Soy Delicious -- yum!). Gazpacho is good. Tortilla chips & salsa and/or guac. You could serve from among several choices of pasta if you're in need of an entree. It'd probably be cheaper than sandwiches, too. It's pretty easy to throw a party without meat.

And you should DEFINITELY make cake!! In my opinion, store bought cakes are nasty -- too refined; like sugary gross air. The better a cake *looks* the worse it *tastes*. Not always true, but it generally is... homemade cakes (vegan or not) simply taste better. If your mum wins on the cake thing, maybe you could make some vegan cookies so at least?

Good luck!

Mskedi

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Congratulations on your graduation.

I think you should do what you want. It is your party. If you want it to be vegan, then go for it.

As everyone else has mentioned, go for fruits and veggies. And use hummus for dip.

You can go to vegweb and find tons of recipies for snacks like bars (peanut butter, ceral bars) or muffins.

There are always easy things like pretzals. (are those even vegan? I'm not sure about that.....)

Maybe you could bake a vegan cake during the week to show your mom that it doesn't look so bad and that it tastes great too. People seem to be afraid of vegan food just because they've never tried it before.

Anyways, good luck and congratulations again.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
vegan non pig in a blanket. get some soy dogs and cut them up and roll 'em in a pastry shell. Pasta with either soy beef or just crumbled tofu in it is good and easy for non veg'ans to eat well at least pretending it's meat.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm going through the same thing- I'm graduating and my folks are throwing me a party. Here's what we're doing.

Even though it's my party, we're gonna have meat for the meat-eaters but LOTS of veggie food for me. You won't be eating it all, remember that. Offering to help in the kitchen is a great way to convince your folks.

if you want it all vegan- it should be all vegan!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I live in a great German Catholic town where alcohol is a part of every celebration and I do mean every. When I graduated, I decided that I did not want alcohol at my party because I did not want to be responsible for all the drinkers. At first, my parents were aghast, but after awhile, they sort of realized that since it was my party celebrating my graduation, they should probably listen to me. So we had a totally alcohol free party and as far as I know - no one really had a problem with it. In fact my sister did the same thing when she graduated five years later. I say your party - you should get to pick the food/beverages. Go vegan - worst case scenario - the people don't eat much at your party and have to fill up somewhere else. Plus it will probably save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I believe whoever is paying for the party has a significant say in what is being served. But, you can still try to reach an agreement with your mom.

For God's sake, don't serve tofu. People will think you are trying to poison them and will run screaming from the house.

Chili and sloppy Joe's are great ideas. Bean burritos is also a "normal" food. Spaghetti is a no-brainer; everyone likes white pasta and tomato sauce.

Every party should have a vegetable tray with a couple dips. Serve hummus, too, but also have a creamy dip for those who hate hummus. (Yes, I have met many of these people...and some of them are openminded about food).

Instead of a store bought cake, make 2-3 types of cookies. That way, your mom gets the sweets and saves money, while you get more control over what's in them.

Potato salad, pasta salad and coleslaw are easy to veganize without changing the taste.

If you and your mom can't agree, tell her you'll pay for it and won't tell her when it is. Remember, if she is footing the bill, you have to respect her wishes as well. She wants this party as much as you do
I think you can both come to an agreement though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

For God's sake, don't serve tofu. People will think you are trying to poison them and will run screaming from the house.

[/B]
See that hasn't been my experience at all. I had an all vegan party a few weeks ago and it turned out great. Most of my friends are openminded enough to try it. Of course have dished and things that don't contain tofu that's just a good idea to have variety.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Heh. Yes, I've found many people are scared of tofu and hummus. Try to serve something "normal." Go for the bean chili or burritos. You could have a taco salad platter with big tortilla chips, beans, bean dip, veggies, guacamole, etc.

Pasta salad is also a classic.. And good for a warm May evening.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Everyone, for your help!

I've discussed some of these alternatives with my parents.. and they're still quite aprehensive.. but I think I'll get my way in the long run. I really like the chili idea. I could serve organic corn chips along with it, with some corn muffins.

Because my mom is so obsessed with the idea of BUYING a cake.. I'll let her do it.. but I'm also going to make vegan cookies to go along side it.

Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
it reminds me of when i was in Poland, and the hotel food was crap,so we went to a vegetarian restaurant instead. My (omni) friend tagged along, and he said "I might ry a tofu dish" and all the vegetarians (inc. me) turned round and said "NO! Don't bother!"

So asa I see it, most vegetarians don't seem to like tofu (Well, those that I know of anyway.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Make a deal with your mom - she can have the cake and you can the rest vegan. Sound like a good trade?

Chili is a lot of fun and so easy and inexpensive to make. You can even add Yves veggie crumbles or soy sauce dyed TVP to make it seem more "normal" if you wish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts