VeggieBoards banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

Someone mentioned the "Mercedes Benz" style of meal with protein, starch, vegetable. This is not the way I prefer to eat, but my husband does often cook like this. Is there any way to adapt this to me being a vegetarian? What could I have instead of a chicken breast or pork chop? I've thought of bean burgers/patties... anything else?
In that schema, it will probably be mostly bean/legume-based entrees, but you can be creative with the preparation. Some ideas:

bean burrito

falafel

hummus sandwich

pepper stuffed with beans and rice

tempeh sandwich

any of the commercial "fake meat" products

vegan sloppy joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
I did it gradually as well. It took about a year and by the time I decided to cut off meat completely I was hardly eating any anyway.

For me it was less about cutting out certain things, and more about finding veggie foods I liked. I tried all kinds of soy cold cuts, hot dogs, veggie burgers, soy milk, and found that I really liked alot of them. I guess becoming veg was just the next logical step for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Green

I took the cold turkey approach and found it really easy, probably because I only have to cook for myself. Meat 'imitation' products made the transistion smooth. Also I just took what I liked and switched to a vegetarian version

...

Be prepared for some stick from people, just read all the big threads here and you'll be able to shoot down all their arguments in seconds (most omni rants are so ridiculous you won't have to though). You shouldn't have to justify your vegetarianism but if people are obnoxious enough to call you out on it or disrespect you, they deserve to have their paper thin arguments ripped to shreds. Just keep your cool and don't get angry


I also went vegetarian cold turkey and I found that it went extremely well... I am now vegan (only for a week and a half), but I was previously ovo-lacto veg and found the transition from there to be extremely easy. Just do whatever works for you.


It really can be frustrating to deal with some omni reactions to new veg*nism... I agree with Captain Green -- just stay calm and stick to your reasons. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

Thanks for the book suggestion (Transition to Vegetarianism). I found it on Amazon and added it to my wish list so I won't forget about it.

Someone mentioned the "Mercedes Benz" style of meal with protein, starch, vegetable. This is not the way I prefer to eat, but my husband does often cook like this. Is there any way to adapt this to me being a vegetarian? What could I have instead of a chicken breast or pork chop? I've thought of bean burgers/patties... anything else?
Sometimes i do meals like this with Gardenburger Riblets. I also love anything from the Quorn product line. They make breaded "chicken" cutlets, unbreaded cutlets, turkey style roasts, "chicken" nuggets, and other good stuff. I also bought a nine bean loaf when I had Christmas with my family, and that was really yummy but I forget the brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just an update here. I have been trying to follow the rule of "when I do the cooking, I don't eat meat". I have have made burgers (beef for husband, bean for me), pizza (half vegetarian, half meat.... plus I made my own pizza dough for the first time ever!), lasagna (zucchini lasagna for me and ground beef for husband... but next time I'm going to make a broccoli lasagna for both of us since that's a vegetable he likes). I have a whole list of meatless meals he will eat and a list of "dividable" meals.... I keep adding to these lists all the time, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this.

Back to the Mercedes-Benz question. I was actually wondering about homemade things, since I prefer to cook from scratch whenever possible. Any ideas? Maybe I could make beans in some kind of sauce and freeze them in individual containers. I did seem some recipes for lentils loaves and tofu loaves... would that freeze well if it was cut into slices?

I also ordered some books from Amazon: Transition to Vegetarianism, The Clueless Vegetarian, Becoming Vegetarian, and 1001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
I was the one who mentioned the mercedes benz logo
It's not totally mine, I read it in Vegetarian Times. It made me laugh so I have always used it as an example.

Quote:
3. Get rid of the "Mercedes Benz" logo in your mind... The American dinner plate consists of something starchy, something green and front and center a meat object. Most people eat like this and in their mind you are taking away the "star of the show" per se. So thus the question.. "What do you eat?" When making a vegetarian meal, remember... create a meal that has something crunchy, something smooth, something chewy


To answer your question... I have found that bean dishes freeze really well if made ahead. Loaves and patties work very well for freezing. Items such as stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, pasta dishes all freeze well in individual portions. Good luck on the rest of your veg*n journey!


Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

Just an update here. I have been trying to follow the rule of "when I do the cooking, I don't eat meat". I have have made burgers (beef for husband, bean for me), pizza (half vegetarian, half meat.... plus I made my own pizza dough for the first time ever!), lasagna (zucchini lasagna for me and ground beef for husband... but next time I'm going to make a broccoli lasagna for both of us since that's a vegetable he likes). I have a whole list of meatless meals he will eat and a list of "dividable" meals.... I keep adding to these lists all the time, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this.

Back to the Mercedes-Benz question. I was actually wondering about homemade things, since I prefer to cook from scratch whenever possible. Any ideas? Maybe I could make beans in some kind of sauce and freeze them in individual containers. I did seem some recipes for lentils loaves and tofu loaves... would that freeze well if it was cut into slices?

I also ordered some books from Amazon: Transition to Vegetarianism, The Clueless Vegetarian, Becoming Vegetarian, and 1001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy



Back to the Mercedes-Benz question. I was actually wondering about homemade things, since I prefer to cook from scratch whenever possible. Any ideas?
My suggestions were all home-made (except the fake meat products, I guess).

I'm glad your accumulating a lenghtening list of things that work for both of you. That's a good start.

Does your husband cook?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

1) first give up beef, then pork, then chicken, then fish and seafood, then the hidden ingredients (broth, gelatin, etc.).

That's what I did (and am doing). Beef and pork, then chicken and seafood a few months later. I'd given up "processed" meats (bacon, lunch meat, anything ground) years before. My husband still eats meat at almost every meal. A lot of the time, I cook it. I usually end up cooking a meal for me and a meal for him. A pain in the ass, but that's what has to be done.

I've eliminated any broth or lard or other meat flavorings that are prevalent in the South. I make an annoyance of myself asking what's in dishes, but I don't care. I have not completely elimnated gelatin and other animal-derived ingredients.

My advice is to not force your husband into anything. I know of other posters here who don't advocate even associating with an omni, much less being married to one. So the decision is yours, not his. If he wants to join you, that would be great. (I'd be envious, too.) Good luck to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Seusomon

My suggestions were all home-made (except the fake meat products, I guess).
Yes they were, sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seusomon

I'm glad your accumulating a lenghtening list of things that work for both of you. That's a good start.

Does your husband cook?
Yes, he does cook. Usually every single weeknight in fact (since he's out of work at the moment whereas I work full-time). That's the reason why I need "Mercedes-Benz" stuff... so if he wants to cook pork chop, baked potatoes, and broccoli, I can just replace the pork chop with something else.

I got my new books this afternoon and I've been going through "1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes" and making a list of everything that my husband might eat. Most of the possibilities seem to be either high in dairy products or low in protein, but since we usually eat lunch apart I can try to make sure I get a good serving of protein at lunch (beans, lentils, etc.) and he can eat meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by christy13

My advice is to not force your husband into anything. I know of other posters here who don't advocate even associating with an omni, much less being married to one. So the decision is yours, not his. If he wants to join you, that would be great. (I'd be envious, too.) Good luck to you!
Yeah I don't want him to feel forced or pressured, or to make this seem like a huge burden on him. Since it is my decision I think I should take responsibility for it myself. As for him joining me, I'm not holding my breath! In the 6 years we've been together, he has actually learned to like onions but not much else has changed... he's a very picky eater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Is the 1001 low fat... cookbook the one that has sweet potato biscuits in it?? I have so many cookbooks I can't remember, but if it is, MAKE THEM!! They're so good
If its not.. hmm.. i could type up the recipe for you when I'm home again. (i'm living off my weird veggie quick meals in other people's homes atm - tonight was instant rice and green beans with almonds... and fruit salad.. lol)

One veggie cookbook you could try is 366 Ways To Cook Tofu And Other Meat Alternatives. (If its not called that, its something rather close, again i'm not at home so i'm working from my head here!) It has lots of really good recipes that I think could be converted to meat recipes easily. Like make the veggie part and add tofu cubes to half, chicken cubes to the other half. (Does chicken come in cubes? you know what i mean
) They have a great recipe for tofu pot pie with sweet potato crust that if you had two little cassarole dishes you could make one tofu and one chicken.

I suggest ordering cookbooks from half.com. Takes a little longer to get them, but they're used so they're cheaper...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
for protein rich vegetarian from scratch recipies that are relatively easy to make an use pretty simple ingredients a good syrian lenten cookbook has a ton of recipies and it will generally cover all 3 parts of your wheel and meat eaters usually love the stuff too. and mediteranian cuisine is good for you too. as to where to get one i havent the foggiest.... ive grown up with them in the house....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,451 Posts
TVP

did anyone mention TVP? tectured veggie protien is so great as "ground meat" replacement. I've used it in lasagne, "meat" sauce for pasta, tacos, any number of tasty things!

have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rabid_child

They have a great recipe for tofu pot pie with sweet potato crust that if you had two little cassarole dishes you could make one tofu and one chicken.

I suggest ordering cookbooks from half.com. Takes a little longer to get them, but they're used so they're cheaper...
Yeah I've thought of the little casserole dish idea... there are lots of meals I could adapt to that, such as shepherd's pie, etc.

half.com is only available in the US, unfortunately. There is abebooks.com though -- I hadn't thought of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

Yeah I've thought of the little casserole dish idea... there are lots of meals I could adapt to that, such as shepherd's pie, etc.

half.com is only available in the US, unfortunately. There is abebooks.com though -- I hadn't thought of that.
i've got some packets in the cupboard (not checked if they are vegan or not yet) but i've got a spag bol one, a chilli one and a shepherds pie one, basically just add water and cook for 15 mins, top with pasta, rice or potato and bob's ur uncle! really tasty and quick and filling! and easily enough for 2 days for one person
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rabid_child

Is the 1001 low fat... cookbook the one that has sweet potato biscuits in it?? I have so many cookbooks I can't remember, but if it is, MAKE THEM!! They're so good


I checked and the recipe is in there. I'm not a big biscuit-eater, but I'll take your advice and try them sometime!
 
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Top