VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm doing this speech about the health benefits and nutritional value of nuts. As I'm researching nuts, I come across this information about nutgrowers using firearms, bombs, and trapping to keep wildlife from eating the crops. Is there an effective way to keep animals out of crops for human consumption without killing them?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You have no idea how important the answer to that question is to me.

And that I am no closer to finding an answer then you are . . .

so sorry, can't help.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens in all types of agriculture. We veg*ns like to think that eating our veggies, fruits, grains, and legumes doesn't hurt the animals, but it does. It's natural for animals of all kinds to go for the "free" food in the many different crop fields and in the process, the good farmers have to take action to protect their livelihood. If they didn't they'd go hungry along with the rest of the world, human and animal alike.

I think if there was a way to keep animals out without killing them that was effective and low cost, farmers would do it, but I can't think of anything that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars, which most farmers simply don't have.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
can't they just put up fencing?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
They could LF, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. Most commercial growers have such large fields that they'd have to spend a large amount of money to build an effective fence around the perimeter. It's probably easier and cheaper just to destroy the animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts