VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i'm not lazy, but i don't really place much value in exercise. i'm sixteen, vegan, female, active enough but i don't really do formal exercise.

we don't have a treadmill, i hate them anyway. i hate going to the gym. when it's warm out i jog or go on walks because i don't mind it since i love the outdoors anyway. and we have a pool so i love to swim. i love hiking, all of that stuff.. but it's winter and i'm starting to feel lazy!! really lazyyyy.

so i went to walmart and bought a yoga dvd that has 5 ten-minute sessions: abs, arms, butt/thighs, cardio, and lengthening.

is this enough to get me through the rest of winter, a couple more months?

and the other question: how many calories should inactive teens aim for?

(i mean, i don't need to lose weight and i don't play sports. i've always been the artsy girl, and i'd much rather be doing art, playing my guitar or reading when i have nothing else to do- rather than exerciseeee. i feel no need for much of it.)

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Do something you enjoy - hiking, yoga, pilates, walking, etc. Exercise is a great way to keep your heart & lungs in shape, your mind sharp, and your emotions at a relatively even level.

The DVD sounds like a great start. You might consider renting other DVD's from your library to try out new things (so you don't have to fork over a bunch of $$ for more).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oo oregon amy, library is a great idea i never thought of that. one dvd will get boring/repetitive soon after awhile anyway.

i just got into such a random burst of energy for exercise. i did two segments of the dvd (20 minutes).. then i sprinted up and down my stairs for a few minutes (no one's home lol) and i'm about to go run some more stairs and then play DDR!

I never considered DDR a workout before but it totally is. a fun one, too.. maybe not fit for athletes but for me it's great.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
DDR is a GREAT workout!

If you want to do stairs, does your school have bleachers? Is there somewhere nearby with a lot of stairs? You could do that...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yoga is a great start. As OregonAmy suggested, your library probably has DVDs or VHS tapes you can borrow. You can try yoga DVDs with different emphasis. Maybe you will enjoy more the ones that emphasize the spiritual and creative side of yoga rather than the intense exercise. Also, there is a series I've seen at my library called Yoga Dance (I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but sounds like fun). Or you can look into some other workout DVDs like belly dancing workouts, or kickboxing, or whatever else might sound appealing. I think variety is key so you don't get bored. Exercise should be fun! It is not just for weight loss but a great way to keep your energy level high too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife does yoga and borrows new videos and DVDs from the library as mentioned earlier. She finds it a nice "free" way to break up her routine. I struggle with keeping physically active. Like you, I don't consider myself lazy but I'm generally uninterested in exercise for the sake of exercise. I got into bird watching a few years ago and it's a great excuse to do some hiking so long as you don't mind having binoculars around your neck. I still do it in the winter here in Maine, just have to bundle up. I'm still trying to find something that is exercise oriented that can sustain my interest.

P.S. I see in your original post you play guitar, so do I. It's a lot of fun, to bad you can't do it on a treadmill. (not that I've ever tried)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good news: it's not deathly cold anymore. still too cold to run, but i have hope for spring! right now pilates dvds and ddr are tiding me over haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you like video games you should dare you friends and compete. Loser has to do 20 pushups or what not.

When I play texas holdem sometimes, I bet push ups or sit ups and the pot adds up. Loser then has a great workout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts