VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the taste Amaranth, but I can't keep the final product from being "gooey-ish". The grain itself is fine - it's not over-cooked.

Is it just naturally this way - or am I doing something wrong?

I've not over-cooked it

I've tried cooking it both covered and uncovered

I still make it faithfully - just wish the texture was better (that gooeyness gives me goosebumps!) hahahaha

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I tried to make it, it ended up tasting almost like gravy. I tried putting it on a sandwich, but that only lasted about 3 bites before Taco Bell.

Are you just eating the final product plain, or incorporating it into another dish?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mine comes out gooey too. I think that is correct(according to my husband anyway)

I havent made it in a while - but usually make it as a side to baked tofu.

I dont think the stuff firms up

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys. Sounds like it's naturally this way.

This is what I've been doing with it (since eating it all by itself is too weird for me):

I have been mixing it with Millet

I add it to Hippy Stew (stew with whatever happens to be in my house at the time)

It's pretty good as an added ingredient to a garden burger

I add some to my morning oatmeal.

I've added it to bread dough - pretty good that way too.

If anyone has other ideas - I'm all ears

·
Registered
0 Posts
its an ancient grain. when you buy it its very fine- the smallest grain i've ever cooked. But when you cook it it doesnt firm/fluff up it stays gooey. It is tasty. I will try it with millet. that sound good b/c my millet when cooked alone usually is a bit dry

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Yeah, amaranth is naturally that way, which is why I usually mix it with something else. I make my steel cut oatmeal with some amaranth and teff (the smallest grain in the world!) added. Very yummy. Great texture. I'm into texture...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I love amaranth. When I cook it I usually make it for breakfast. I cook it with walnuts, raisins, and sliced almonds. When it's finished cooking I mash 1/2 a banana per serving into it, add a little maple syrup, and a touch of soy milk. Yummy.

I used to make cookies with it as well. Just add 1/2 a cup to your favorite recipe and subtract 1/2 cup of flour.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by eggplant

teff (the smallest grain in the world!) added. Very yummy. Great texture. I'm into texture...
I'm familiar with Teff (the flour anyway)

I use it to make the Ethiopian bread "INJERA"

I've never tried the grain itself.

This, like any grain other than rice and oatmeal, is expensive for me to get here in Japan (I buy from the states, but the shipping can be murder).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts