VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ate some Morning Star hot dogs. They tasted okay, but a few hours later I got an after taste not unlike the flavor you'd expect from eating the rib-bones of KFC chicken. Made me sad because I like MS's veggie burgers.

Anywho, what are some alternatives? Sadly, this may be a moot point because I'm not sure that I can find anything else.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmr4815 View Post

I ate some Morning Star hot dogs. They tasted okay, but a few hours later I got an after taste not unlike the flavor you'd expect from eating the rib-bones of KFC chicken. Made me sad because I like MS's veggie burgers.

Anywho, what are some alternatives? Sadly, this may be a moot point because I'm not sure that I can find anything else.
Yves makes the best ones, EVER. Seriously, EVER.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am moving this thread to the "Vegetarian Discussion" subforum. "Community Assistance" is for assistance with technical issues with the forum.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Yves makes the best ones, EVER. Seriously, EVER.
I just got some of these, but I've been wary about trying them. I'm glad to hear they're good. It'd be great if they are, because I'm not good at cooking, and 9 good, easy meals for a few dollars would be great. Yves are the only ones my walmart carries so I don't have much variety anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

my walmart carries.
Stupid regional variations. All I can get are Morning Stars.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmr4815 View Post

Stupid regional variations. All I can get are Morning Stars.
Maybe you can request them to change to Yves or another brand that another WalMart carries? At my WalMart they take requests in the Customer Service section and will special order things for you. Especially with something that may not have as big a demand as other products, like vegetarian substitutes, then they'll probably either switch to another brand that's in the WalMart system or at least special order some for you. I think someone at my WalMart must've done that, because the past few weeks they had smart dogs or some other brand, and then this week they suddenly had Yves.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Oo I've never seen the Field Roast frankfurters, they look incredible.
I had the LightLife brand Smart Dogs this past weekend. They taste decent, the texture is different though...they aren't very firm. My omni brother hesitantly tried a bite, and agreed that they taste fine, but he was too creeped out by the texture. (As opposed to real hot dogs...?)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I had jumbo smart dog for dinner. Num!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I don't like the Smart Dogs. To me, they smell exactly like a real hot dog, but then the texture is wrong and there's not much flavor. I have tried the Yves ones, and I liked them a lot more.

I know different Whole Foods stores carry the Tofurky hot dogs, or the Field Roast dogs, but mine does not. I tried to request the Tofurky dogs, and one WF store was rude to me ("just because you want them does not mean we will get them in") and the other WF said they'd be happy to order me some, but I'd have to buy a whole case.

I do have a couple packs of Smart Dogs in my freezer (they were on sale 2 for $6, then I had two $1 off coupons, so I decided they were worth $2/pack) that I plan to use in beanie weenies.
I recommend you buy a case. I did and put them in my freezer, where they will keep a long time. I just thaw one out whenever want some. I love 'em with mustard and sauerkraut on a whole wheat bun!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Tried the Yves one today and I loved it. It looked gross, when I took it out it was oddly shaped and felt weird, like a block of soft gunk formed together, it didn't feel firm or have "skin" like a real hot dog does, but I followed the microwave instructions and it smelled great. It had blisters on it that looked gross but it was a little firmer. I tried it and I love the taste of it, and the texture is the same as a real, really expensive beef hot dog, but the taste was similar but better. They looked really small, but they were really filling, and have actually kept me full, too, and I only had one with a bit of sweet potato fries on the side.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:

How many packs are in a case? My freezer is often full of rabbit pellet food, I don't have a ton of space in there.
As far as I know, a case refers to like the big freezer boxes from Costco or Sam's Club or other bulk stores, so it's probably a decently sized box. Usually frozen boxes of food are about half the height of a standard square cardboard box, so they're more like a rectangle, but width-wise they take up some space. We buy everything in bulk when we can since there's 5 of us in our family and my little brothers eat a lot, so we bought a big deep freezer and we still can't always fit everything in. I don't think the expiration dates are that soon, though, so you could always take the packs out of the box and squeeze them in where you can in your freezer, like little areas like the door shelving, and then put the rest in spaces in your fridge since they probably won't expire before you get room in your freezer for them or are able to use them. I'm not sure exactly how many are in a case because I haven't seen the cases recently, but as a rule for things like that it seems to be about six to ten per box.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Tofurky has really good sausage dogs.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I really want to find some of those Field Roast Frankfurters. I tried the Italian sausages and they were INCREDIBLE. My new favourite.

Yves hotdogs were my old favourite, sorry Yves

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

How many packs are in a case? My freezer is often full of rabbit pellet food, I don't have a ton of space in there.
12, but the box was quite compact.
I'm sure they could tell you the exact measurments.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Hard to find, but by far the best:

I've been searching madly through my city to find these to no avail. I find Field Roast products, but not the frankfurters. They look awesome. *Sigh*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts