VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goth/

<Gothic>

Gothdom... etc. Just about anything pertaining to goth basically!

Testing the water here a bit on VB to see who else can relate and not be scared of the word "goth" and suchlike but at least embrace some aspects

of it!!!
For me it is quite simple, it is not just an aesthetic... and is more than a mere 'verbal stab in the dark' (so to speak) as can be seen by the abundance of material on the internet covering the subject. So anyhoo, I would like to think that however lame the asking of my general enquiry may appear to begin with, it is not all weird, gratuitous nonsense in how I may choose here to present it and that I do have a point sort of, LOL...so my question which this particular thread is about is-}}} .........What place or standing or stakes or appeal goth may have amongst you all (generally OR whateva) and how you each view it.... so I ask--} whom else might consider "goth" (or related/similar) a part of themselves please!!??

You can be a total introvert (closet goth) or an extravagant overtly goth type

of goth in your expression of what the word goth means to you all if you want

....However you wish!!!

Just tell me in short your thoughts on the culture, in general to begin with.

This is your chance to express your notions/perceptions of it etc.

.......To, most of all goth is a lifestyle, with nothing more weird or sinister to it than that!!!... (with the odd exception here and there depending on which avenue you go down as with all things).

DISCLAIMER:

Btw:

Many of you will know already "goth" is NOT a cult, so preferably no religious overtones are called upon unless you feel absolutely compelled to unleash them (no offence to those that are religious) but thats the way I feel

In the main, this thread I've created does not exist just to dispell myths, but to welcome your opinions in general and anything else you may want to add related to goth.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Okay, Well I dont know if im right but for meh, its kinda a lifestyle and a special perception of the world. Arggg..... i have so much to say but words dont come up.... bah i'll say the rest later if my words comes out (sorry) lol

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its okay, going good, you don't have to write a 'phesis' or anything..
(however thats spelt!)

We just need more to get a bit of input going... so of course Faye you are welcome to come back again later!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'd rather not add myself into any specific label that only catagorizes a WHOLE person by their clothing.(you all may have your different beliefs on what makes a person 'goth' but if you go out and ask the general public what the term means- they'll give you answers like "a person who dresses in black and wears white make-up") I just think the term "Goth" is very negatively percieved by the public.. why use it to label yourself?

Yes, I wear tons of black and other dark colors. My hair had been dyed black for quite a while (I just recently took out all of the black and highlighted it, instead). I listen to a lot of dark music and I adore Manson. I'm against tanning and the like- the last thing I want for myself is to die of skin cancer- so my skin is extremely pale- even in the summer months. Others will in the future and have in the past labeled me 'goth'. I, however, do not.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I notice a lot of goth-related activity involves altering yourself, and trying really hard to be different from everyone else, only to end up part of yet another "group," a lot like everyone else in that group. Except, you know, maybe your piercings are in different places.

I don't know. I knew goth kids in high school, and they weren't any different from any of the other kids (maybe a bit more antisocial), including the headbangers like me, except they had their outward appearance and musical tastes, and we had ours.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this thread is not limited to "just goth" but I admit I do centre a lot around it... even though outwardly I appear hardly

very goth at all...

Anyhow, here is the THESIS!!!

I know what you two mean about the possibility of ending up in another group of people that look and act alike, but I don't intend

to end up in that stereotype state ever ever ever.... but regardless of that I am still happy to be known BROADLY SPEAKING as goth because I am proud of its alternative coolness

Coolness of a sort which is cool in the sense of being different,

and intellectually dark wherein you find it being branded abnormal

OR "subgenre/sub-culture" OR freaky etc but in any case the point is it is still an entity in its own element, offering outlooks which are are free from the vast bulkload of most catagorizations due to its darkly *beautiful* /obscure nature!!!!....AND so what

that SOME(not all) goths end up cliquey in their ways and therefore become speculatory shadows on which to pin labels,

its fun becos inour own unique ways we then become non-descriptable with no labels amenable to speak of!!!) hahaha!!! o Whilst I think its true some goth people are sometimes quite anti-social in some ways, I myself figure goth is not always aiming to reject the entire mainstream the whole time, but it doesn't matter so much anyway since goth exists on its own terms (regardless of being a subculture) and that reflects what appeals about it to me, as in I deem it anyway I wish to satisfy my own dark characteristics etc, such as dark playfulness/

artisiticness and one might say basically seeing the world with tinted glasses whilst at the same time keeping real by every now and then seeing the world in full view but almost always from a dark overall perspective, thats all it amounts to [in simple layman terms which for the sake of simple understanding and non-confusion is suffice enough to say!].

So all in all I just tailor/extract whatever bits of whateva culture I like, retaining my own streak>>>...

(like Stellars hair, but she's not goth, and as for my hair, it's not even 'black' but I still STRONGLY consider myself goth!) >>>...(or style) of whichever thing allows myself to stay true to myself as an individual and as for mingling with others, all I can say to that is I am quite anti-social so this merging/mingling with others and losing my uniqueness is not going to happen!
Not all goths are gregarious club going freaks!!
haha. Not by far!!! Take me for a non-typical example,

I've never been into a goth club my entire life, so far.......!

Epski: A head banger??? LOL Thats another story right!!??

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I work with a lot of "goth" individuals. They are nice people, but some of them I know have very dark thoughts. One time I was talking with one of them at lunch, and we were having a discussion. Boy did she put me in a dark place after that.

I know all goths do not have that extreme thoughts or behavior, but I am not sure I could be "goth"

I listen to a lot of "goth" bands, but I am not sure I could embrase some of what they do.

But that is what make the world great, we are all unique and have our own beliefs. Not everyone has to agree with them.

I am with epski... I was a head banger in high school...
(music wise)... dont think dirty thoughts now.. haha

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
VegAnaconda,

Help me out here...what exactly is goth...what makes a person goth or not goth??? I guess I really don't know what its all about...so please enlighten me

·
Registered
0 Posts
All the people that I have met and would be considered "goths" have all been extremly nice people, My friends 18 year old brother is one..(A rather into it one...)..Nicer than non-goths tho....

Danny

·
Banned
559 Posts
i think for a lot (most?) people it's a complete phase. i have friends from high school who did the whole goth scene and now are anything but 'goth.' my boyfriend did the goth thing for a while, wearing the fishnets, eye liner in high school but ha, he too is anything but goth.

we went to this little venue last night filled with high school kids who were totally into the goth scene. i'm sorry, but i had to laugh. they try so hard to be different and yet they all look the exact same in their little circle (which isnt really that little). from my experience, most are in it for the attentio (crazy cries for attention) and it's just a matter of time before they get out of the 'phase.' also, from my experience, they are all incredibly depressed and have little personality and try to play out this made up role they have made for themselves.

i swear most of them had their parents or somebody drop them off and they had to go change into their little black outfits. (i'm only half kidding).

and then granted, for some it is a lifestyle and they aren't posing for themselves or anyone. and that i can respect, but i do get annoyed when i see them (any subculture/group, not just the gothic thing) trying so hard to be different yet at the same time trying so hard to fit in. and it's easy to distinguish who is who in those situations.

anyway, it doenst bother me that they dress that way...but isn't that pretty much what it is? 'i'm depressed so i'll dress in black and wear dog collars?' (again, from my experience, that's what it's all about). so i have a hard time understanding why that is a lifestyle.

it's early sunday morning and i shouldnt be writing so much.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
goths i've known have been anywhere from happy to depressed, dark to positively cheery, some dress really crazy, some are more subtle, some do it for attention some want anything but attention.

you can't generalize with something like this, goths are as different from each other as nongoths, it's not like they all call each other in the morning and decide what they're all going to wear and how they're going to act that day.

that being said i always considered myself a closet goth i guess, i really admired my goth friends in highschool and they were so much fun to be around. people looked at them funny but they were just typical teenagers doing typical teenager things in an unusual outfit. that's all.

i spotted this one guy i knew in highschool last summer, he didn't seem to recognize me but i laughed when i saw him because he was freakier than ever, wearing enormous platform shoes that made him 7 feet tall. i didn't laugh because of how he looked but because i thought he looked great and i was glad he was still into it and it wasn't a "phase" like with some other kids. i hope he didn't think i was laughing at him

but anyway i have a thing for goths

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks goth insight providers, I am a rather more happy
goth now at reading those observations by you Funkified and LadyFaile

because I can see you have nothing major against it Funkified, and you LadyFaile are clearly an admirer almost being something of a closet goth yourself!

I too don't think goths are there to be laughed at but at the same time there is humour that surfaces sometimes of sort that is harmless, (unless of course like you say people take things the wrong way etc).... Sometimes I guess thats invitable when the peoples perceptions are so bad, thats PARTLY why I created this thread.

And Slynny: in due course, I will enjoy trying to make a good view of goth, and since you are new to all this and are curious I will offer a bit more insight and muses when I get some clippings

of articles together, & perhaps create a goth monologue(?) or something...so sure, you can check back in a week or so and you should find something of interest to help inform you better when I find an appropiate quote or out-take of something worthy of noting!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I guess at least you don't have to worry that you'll pick anything from your wardrobe that doesn't go with everything else. Black goes with black, period.

Other than that, if you want to be goth, and/or anything more (or less) extreme - do it (if you can cope with any potential backlash). I dippped my crimpers into it in the 80's and survived with no scars. Just do it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
goths don't necessarily wear all black all the time

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Hrm, I think I'm too geek to really be goth. Also at some point the entire goth thing became something other than an attempt to carry on the punk revolution after its pitiful death and more of a fashion statement. And then there were the loosers who took "Bela Legosi is Dead" and Anne Rice much too seriously and made the entire thing into a 24/7 halloween party mixed in with the fetish s/m thing.

Of course the fact that I'm much too honestly pissed off, political, depressed, introverted and picky about my music to be goth means that I'm probably GAF.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I s'pose I'm semi-goth; I have been described as a granola goth or death hippy. I've been wearing mostly black and sporting an ankh for a long, long time. (I had the ankh before there was such a thing as goth, though.) Music-wise, I still love my old Cure and Siouxsie CDs. But there is so much other stuff I like, too. And I certainly don't run around in a dog collar acting depressed...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I admire much of what the "true goths" are about. I suppose you might say that I adhere to their ideals of being who I truly am and not apologizing for it. However, if to "be myself" I have to pull away from the dominant culture in each and every aspect of my lifestyle, then I would be denying part of myself, which kind of defeats the point. I like parts of what "everyone else" does, and I see no point in changing myself to fit a stereotypical goth image.

The stereotypical goth appearance would be an issue for me. My hair is brown, not black. I don't want to dye it or shave it into a mowhawk. I'm fine with it the way it is. My natural skin color is also something I have no desire to mess with. I wear clothes that I like and that fit my lifestyle, not fishnet stockings or huge black pants or whatever else is in that image. My clothes of choice tend to be slightly eccentric, and I love it when people comment "I'd never wear that, but it looks great on you!"

Something else I refuse to give up to gain a few "goth points" is my Christian faith. I know there are Christian goths out there, and I applaud them. I have enough expectations to deal with as it is--I don't need misinformed people to constantly tell me that all goths are Satanists or pagans or whatever.

Yeah, I bend to the popular culture in plenty of ways. Being completely and totally seperate and unique is a battle I'm not willing to fight. I am only human and have to pick my differences wisely.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
death hippy, i like that
i honestly don't know what i'd call myself, i don't think i fit into any categories. while i'm sort of a closet goth and i like the goth styles and beliefs, i don't really listen to much of the music goths listen to. i have a really wide selection, some goth, lots of metal/hard rock, grunge, alternative or whatever, fair bit of emo i guess.

not stuff people expect to find out i like anyway, by my appearance

which reminds me there's a new finger eleven cd i must buy today

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh my, so many disheartening attitudes about goth culture. Funny I didn't see anyone react to the the Who's a Punk? thread in quite the same way.

My experience with the goth subculture:

I think most sub/countercultures are a youth phenomenon, and I think its dismissive to relate them negatively to a "phase". Everyone's life is full of phases. We are growing changing people. I think the things we cling to when we're young are important because so much soul searching goes on between those times of high school and career/family.

Anywho, I was friends with many people within goth circles in high school. I found the general undercurrent to be an interest of the darker/unexplored side of human existince. My friends were well-read and quite philosophical. Appreciative of music, spirituality, literature and art that lends itself towards emotions that mainstream society tends to hide/push down/fight against. Exploring and embracing those emotions and thoughts unabashedly. Fascinated with religous symbolism, rituals, rites, and spiritual paths that recognize the importance of the negative side of human natures duality. Creatively expressive through many and unusual mediums like using mannequins, altering art, photocollage, etc. Poetry was also highly revered amony my friends with a general accpetance of an amatuer's go at it. My favorite memories of these friends were coffee shop poetry readings.

And like any subculture(or culture for that matter) a certain style of body odornment, body art, mannerisms, and aestetic preferences.

I was the "floater" in high school. I kept to myself a lot and have indiviual friends who were part of an array of labeled groups. I spent most of my time at the library researching sociology/psychology. And I'm still immensely interested in culture/subculture and the way others/individuals define and identify others/themselves.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts