VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so a while back a posted a thread about how my mom wanted to take us to Ringling Brothers. Of course I had a problem with this, so I was asking for help on what to do. Anyway, every time I'd ask her about taking us to a different circus, she'd just say she didn't want to talk about it. This morning I decided I'd give it another shot, then she told me, "To be honest, I don't know if I can afford anything right now." Which is kind of bad, because it means we're doing bad on money, but I'm focusing on the silver lining. I also pointed out that we've been wanting to go to certain theme parks and museums for a long time now, and how we'd all be OK with that. And when she said that was a great idea, I actually remembered seeing something about getting free tickets to these events! (forget where, but she's looking into it). So, it's not 100% positive we won't be going, but the odds are we won't.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, that is good news. It's too bad your mother still wanted to go after you told her how much it bothered you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

Wow, that is good news. It's too bad your mother still wanted to go after you told her how much it bothered you.
Yeah, not to be disrespectful towards my mom, but she kind of lives in a bubble where animal abuse doesn't exist. But I should be thankful that she's now open to my ideas.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Some people just manage to convince themselves that the animals aren't being abused. This is why so many potential vegetarians will never convert - it's simply hard for them to change their diet because they want to stay in that mindset so badly. "It doesn't happen like this everywhere," "Not all farmers are bad," "Not all circuses torture their animals," etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kudos to you VegKid! I am glad your mother was willing to listen to your side of the story. Also, as a young adult I think it is great that you care so much about "the world around you"

·
Registered
6,793 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Some people just manage to convince themselves that the animals aren't being abused. This is why so many potential vegetarians will never convert - it's simply hard for them to change their diet because they want to stay in that mindset so badly. "It doesn't happen like this everywhere," "Not all farmers are bad," "Not all circuses torture their animals," etc.
Those are the exact things my family says. *sigh* XP

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeemedik View Post

Kudos to you VegKid! I am glad your mother was willing to listen to your side of the story. Also, as a young adult I think it is great that you care so much about "the world around you"
Why, thank you!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That's good the last Circus by them I was at was in 94 and that was when the united center in Chicago opened for the first time. So I got to see the United Center when it was fresh and I thought it was neat. We don't go to Circus or the Zoo's because not because of the torture it just that they are little boring too us.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Yeah, not to be disrespectful towards my mom, but she kind of lives in a bubble where animal abuse doesn't exist. But I should be thankful that she's now open to my ideas.
I am glad this worked out for you. We do not go to circuses with animals either. One year my mother in law wanted to pay to take the entire family to the circus. My kids and I said no thank you because we do not support cruelty. She could not understand that cruelty was allowed to go on surely someone regulated it she thought. It caused this huge war and I was blamed for ruining the family's good time and that I was not allowing my kids to have fun. My kids made their OWN choice to say no. I told them everyone else was welcome to go, I don't think they ever did. It is still my fault I ruined it for the family lol

Have fun with whatever else you do!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post

I am glad this worked out for you. We do not go to circuses with animals either. One year my mother in law wanted to pay to take the entire family to the circus. My kids and I said no thank you because we do not support cruelty. She could not understand that cruelty was allowed to go on surely someone regulated it she thought. It caused this huge war and I was blamed for ruining the family's good time and that I was not allowing my kids to have fun. My kids made their OWN choice to say no. I told them everyone else was welcome to go, I don't think they ever did. It is still my fault I ruined it for the family lol

Have fun with whatever else you do!
Wow, that was rude of her! I can actually understand her confusion as to why it's allowed to go on. It confuses me, too. But she was way out of line. BTW, you must have awesome kids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts