VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB!

yeah I have no idea, but I thought I'd welcome you. Not everyone checks the introduction forum though, you might have better luck with answers if you re-post in the gardening forum (which I don't remember the name of because I am gardening impaired).

11,550 Posts
i have to admit that my gardening knowledge consists of growing cress seeds as a small child, but i've also managed to grow a few avocado plants from seed, last summer. i googled how to do it, i don't have the sites bookmarked but it wasn't hard to find the info. from memory, here's what i did/what happened:

i got about 8 or so avocado pits, from different fruits from different stores, over a couple of weeks, ate the flesh, and was careful not to score or cut the pits.

i gently washed the pits off a bit in lukewarm water, then dried them with a towel, and stuck three toothpicks into them horizontally, about 1/3 up from the rounder end (the bottom) and then balanced them on their little tripods, above a pint glass full of water, with the bottoms just touching or only slightly submurged in the water. i put them on a sunny windowsill, kept the water topped up and relatively clean, and just waited a couple of weeks and let them shoot.

2 out of the 8 started to split, and grew a fat root, which got to about 3 inches long, and grew little side roots off it. then a little shoot grew out of their tops too. when the roots hit the bottom of the glass, and the shoots hit about 10 to 12 inches in height, i tweeked the shoot/stem out to 6 inches, and i potted them in general purpose potting soil in 8 inch pots. then they went nuts and tried to turn into trees. pinching them out made them grow more leaves instead of more height. i read that they're more likely to die of over watering than anything else, so i only watered them a little at a time, maybe twice a week, and let them just dry out inbetween waterings.

its winter in canada now, so they're just chillin and not growing much, but they're about 2 and a half feet tall now, with big fat leaves, and starting to look like nice house plants, though unfortunately they got a bit cold and dry at one point and lost a few leaves (they dried up
and went crunchy) - i've removed those leaves and given them some plant food, and they seem to be perking up again, and as they've moved to a warmer spot in out appartment, they're starting to grow new leaf- bud-thingies cos they think spring has sprung.

from what i saw online, some people put their collection of avocado pits under their kitchen sink in a ziplock bag, and they shooted there (cos its warm and dark), but everyone else seemed to do it with toothpicks over a glass. it doesn't always work, but if you start with a collection of avocado pits lined up in glasses, you should get a plant or two. its a bit hit or miss.

my mum grew one to about 6 foot tall, the same way as i did, about 30 years ago, but some divot planted it outside in england, and the winter frost killed it. they'll grow pretty big- into trees, but unless you live somewhere really hot, i doubt you'll get them to become a tree, and if you do, you'll be waiting 20 years for fruit.

hope this helps as a starting point. good luck... and welcome to veggieboards!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Welcome and good morning (evening now
) to you too!
Check out the gardening forum for suggestions about how to sprout an avocado seed. I may want to try this myself, as I hear avocado trees make great houseplants!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts