VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow is defrost the freezer day (it's like Everest in there). I'm hoping on Monday/Tuesday next week to do some cooking ahead and freeze some main dishes at least for when the bean comes and IS and I are too exhausted to cook for real. I'm looking for idea for things that hold up well (especially where the veg don't get too mushy), and that we can just supplement with some rice/pasta/salad, etc. So far, I'm thinking about:

black bean chili (with zucchini or squash in there)
veg. soup
lasagna
burgers
this chickpea gravy stuff that we love (from Vegan with a Vengeance)

Would love to hear more ideas.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Veggie pot pie. Make it ahead of time, let it sit in the fridge overnight, and then cut it up into individual servings and freeze. It holds up great. And you really don't need anything else with it unless you want a salad or something.

Pasta fagiole also is another staple that holds up well in the freezer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quinoa & mushrooms! Back when I was omni, I did this recipe w/ chicken. But I have since replicated it sans meat and it does really well.-->

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

Quinoa & mushrooms! Back when I was omni, I did this recipe w/ chicken. But I have since replicated it sans meat and it does really well.-->
That looks delicious and easy. I don't have any spinach on hand right now but I do have some greens. I think I'm going to try it tonight.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for ideas. I'm not sure the mushroom dish is our thing, but it gave me the idea of "chicken" and rice casserole, one of my favorites from my youth. The pot pie is perfect too, I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Hoping to do some cooking later this week. Had planned to start tomorrow, but got hit with a cold. Snot stew = not what I had in mind.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love this Carrot and Red Pepper Soup recipe and it freezes really well.

This vegetarian cassoulet also freezes well. Just add the bread crumbs after you reheat it.

When I make pot pies or casseroles, I often make them in a non-stick muffin tin. After they cool, I loosen them around the edges, then put the whole pan in the freezer. When they're frozen, I take them out of the muffin tin and throw them in a large zip loc bag. It also works well if you want to freeze soup or vegetable stock. I freeze my stock in 1/2 cup portions so I can just grab a half cup whenever I need stock for a recipe.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You'd be supprised how much freezes well! Some that supprised me AND are very useful are:
-cakes (I love making banana bread, slicing it, and freezing it in slices so you can jsut get a slice out)
-pies (either before cooking, or once cooked, both will cook from frozen uncovered, for a small pie cooked from frozen usually takes 30mins longer if uncooked,
-nut roast (I always make a big once, slice it up, and freeze in in slices so I can just take two out and put them in the oven for 30min - makes a really easy roast dinner then you just have to do potatos and veg),
- almost all curries and stews - for best results nothing with vegetables that don't freeze as well (like sometimes mushrooms, brocilli, spinach... although I always freeze those things in stews too and they freeze much better than on their own, and the result is certainly tasty and edible, just not perfect). (when I say "stews" I just mean anything in a sauce type thing, chillis, tagines, etc included).
- freezing sauces/pastes that make up meals is aslo really helpful. Then just fry an onion, add sauce, add whatever vegetables/beans/pulses make the meal up, et voila. Really quick AND doesn't take up much freezer room... but a little bit of effort required, but no where near as much as if you made the sauce from scratch.
- If you use dried beans, you can cook a batch and freeze them too to save a lot of time - but I think most people who used dried beans do that (or it'd take ages to cook a meal!)

Infact pretty much most things. My advice would be to look at your favourite foods, pick the most complicated, and freeze them. Freeze everything in portion sizes. I love freezing puddings especially, because baking/puddings you usually make in batches that are quite big - at least for two people - and it saves me eating the lot in one go. I'd avoid the more delicate vegetables and things that over-cook quickly (or dish them out a little early, if it;'s something like squash or sweet potato that can turn to mush quite quickly). Mushrooms can go rubbery but if you slice them thinly you don't really notice - but if you half/quater them you do.

happy cooking! xx

·
Registered
130 Posts
spinach and chickpea curry! I probably make it too often, but it is very tasty.
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2009/...-with-spinach/ - that's more or less the recipe I use, though I generally add a lot more tomatoes, makes it nice and sweet. Make sure you reduce the tomatoes right down, and if you're using frozen spinach squeeze out as much water as you can before you add it
I also prefer using onions and leaving the asafoetida out.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Jambalaya freezes well, as do enchiladas. A quick favorite of mine : layers of tortilla chips, re fried beans, veg cheese and canned enchilada sauce. It freezes beautifully. Just add more cheese at the last five minutes or so when re heating and top with veg sour cream . It's good with a salad and instant rice with a little salsa mixed in with a dash of cumin.
I have a killer enchilada recipe if you want.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had really good luck making VeganDad's cajun chickpea burgers in bulk and then freezing them. Enchiladas work really well (I've done sweet potato & black bean in the past) as do vegetable soups. For the past month, I've been making a big pot of soup on the weekends and freezing lunch size servings to eat at school. Just put them out to defrost the night before and then pop them in the microwave.

I'm going to make a batch of black bean burgers today. Hopefully it'll work out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That chickpee burger recipe looks amazing. I have noticed that a lot of recipes call for frying in a little oil. I have absolutely no experience cooking with oil. Can anyonerecommend the best oil to use? Also, I am not real clear as to what type of pan to use? I suppose I could just go somewhere and buy a frying pan, but I would love some suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My grandparents cook me vegetable chills and kormas when they come and visit me so I can put them in my freezer
Sometimes I'm at university until late so it's nice to just have something tasty that I can just heat up!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

Can anyonerecommend the best oil to use? Also, I am not real clear as to what type of pan to use?
I've had good luck using any oil or margarine besides olive oil (although mine has a stronger flavor, it may work with the lighter olive oils) plus a little frying pan. If you freeze ahead of time, the patties will need to be cooked on low in order to thaw through.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Black bean burgers freeze nicely. I have a good recipe if you want it.

Soups, either bean or vegetable, freeze well.

Also the stuffing for these freezes nicely. The tortillas didn't freeze very well so now I just freeze the stuffing and use fresh tortillas each time. I also mix the beans and sweet potato together. I think it makes the beans not so dry.

http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...otato+burritos

·
Registered
471 Posts
I cooked the Chickpea Burgers yesterday and they came out ok. I am sure I will do a better job next time. How much oil should work to cook the entire batch? I tried using 1 Tbsp of Canola oil and found it did not last very long and had to add more. Is it possible that I did not get it hot enough and it got absorbed into the burgers? I neeed some suggestions on frying. I really do not want to use a lot of oil, but enough to make them cook and have them crispy. Any advice on Pan Frying and the amount of oil needed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts