VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like we're always ranting about incompetent or ignorant omni's, so I wanted to share a good story....

I tend to eat out a lot, but all of the veg*n friendly restaurants are on the other end of town, so I tend to frequent a few choice restaurants up near me. This weekend I had spend all day helping my mother move, so it was about 8:30 by the time I got to go eat, and I was starving. I went to Mangia's, which is a pizza place, but it has plenty of other good food. I ordered what I usually have when I go there -individual pizza on wheat with no cheese, just sauce, black olives, broccoli and onions. I was there with my dad, aunt, uncle and cousin, and they all ordered their own pizzas. When they brought out the food, it took me a second to look down and realize there was cheese on mine. I told the waiter, and he looked so apologetic I almost felt guilty for saying anything. He took it back, rushed the order through, and then he and his manager both came over while it was being made and apologized again, offered me something to eat while it was cooking (fries, a salad), and informed me that they weren't going to charge us for the meal. When the pizza was finished, the waiter came back over and asked if I still wanted to eat it there or did I want him to box it up, and told me that he had gone ahead and made it a small pizza, not an individual. It all worked out so well, and they were so nice about it. The best part was that he seemed concerned not because it might get him yelled at or his tip cut, but because he made a mistake and didn't want me to be put out.

Has anyone had a suprisingly good experience with an omni restaurant, such as a chef specially accomodating you, or an extremely helpful waiter?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I rarely have any problems with restaurants. Of course, if I went somewhere obviously meat-related (ie Outback Steakhouse, The Keg Steakhouse) then I may run into a problem, but I just tell the waiter/ress, "I don't eat <insert foods>. Would you kindly suggest some foods I can eat here?" At a few restaurants, the entire menu was food I would not/could not eat, and the manager came out and arranged a full meal for me, including pasta w/ mushrooms, side salad, 2 vegetables, fruit. Everyone else's meal was costing $25, so the manager worked hard to make sure I had a $25 meal as well.

At buffets, I do ask to look at the buffet before I eat anything. I explain what I don't eat and everyone is very helpful.

I don't believe any restaurant needs to accomodate me. If I don't like what's on their menu, I can go somewhere else. Why should every restaurant tailor-make itself to every eating style out there?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've had some surprises outside of L.A. with some restaurants knowing what "vegan" means (or at least they think they do), and they have some vegan or easily-modified vegetarian menu items.

L.A. is super easy most of the time. I can go just about anywhere.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Actually, I've had good experiences even at steakhouses.

I take clients/business partners out to dinner often, and many times they want to eat at steakhouses. I accomodate what THEY want to eat (though sometimes they want to take me where I want to eat). I have had good experiences at Morton's (where they basically asked me what I wanted then proceeded to make it for me). I have also had a good experience at Outback, where they made me steamed veggies, a baked potato, and salad. They were extremely accomodating and always adjusted prices.

I usually try not to draw attention to myself and the servers are almost always accomodating.

At my last trip to Chevy's (in N. Calif.), I ordered a tostada salad with black beans instead of refried, no cheese, no meat, no sour cream, and vinaigrette instead of ranch, and the waiter said, "oh - are you a vegan?" I said, "well, close enough" and he then said that he used to be one and knew exactly how to order my plate.

When it came to the table, it was perfect! He got a 25% tip. heh heh.

amy

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's true, if calmly requested, I've had really good experiences.

I've had head waitpersons come out and ask exactly what I wanted. It can be a little embarrassing, with all the attention, but they can be so accommodating , it really makes the experience especially pleasurable.

I , myself, don't ask. My husband does it for me, even when I say, "no, please don't". Gets me a good meal, though! And gets them a really good tip!!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I typically have very good luck at omni restaurants. It's simply a matter of getting the server on your side and asking very politely for their assistance. I usually get something very freshly prepared and delicious!! my omni friends end up looking at my plate and drooling... hehe!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
One time I was at the Outback Steakhouse and ordered the potato soup without the bacon bits. The waitress looked a little confused and my dad told her that I was a vegetarian. She came back a bit later and informed me that the soup was made with chicken stock. I ended up with a salad, but I thought that it was nice of her to care. I told dad to give her a huge tip.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

I don't believe any restaurant needs to accomodate me. If I don't like what's on their menu, I can go somewhere else. Why should every restaurant tailor-make itself to every eating style out there?
I tend to agree with this statement. But it's nice to see so many restaurants offering vegetarian items on their menus these days. And to hear about the helpful waiters and managers you all have encountered.

Before I was vegan I found it really easy to eat almost anywhere, usually without having to make any special requests. Vegan is a bit harder. Usually I end up getting chips and salsa or pasta with marinara. (Or french fries -- but since the McD thing I worry about what's in them.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My husband and I went to Rockenwageners, (at least, I think it was there) and I ordered a vegetarian pasta, but he asked for a plate of the side dishes after explaining he didnt eat meat, milk, or egg products. He got the most amazing dish of food I have ever seen. It was delicious, made especially for him. I was so envious of his plate, I didnt even want my pasta! LOL!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, these types of threads make me realize how spoiled those of us who live in big cities are when it comes to restaurant eating. I've never had a problem eating out - NYC restaurants are (for the most part) so willing and able to accommodate so many different types of diets. (Of course, on the other end of the spectrum from veg*nism right now we have the Atkins diet, which all the "best" restaurants are falling all over themselves to accommodate...)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've never had problems really, either. When there is a challenging menu, I just order off the menu, putting together items from various dishes they have or otherwise customizing. I use to do this sort of things for people when I was a server, so I feel I have earned the right to have them do it for me.

A friend who was an ovo-lacto vegetarian told me once that when she said she was vegetariand and wanted an omlett without eggs, the waitress insisted that eggs weren't vegetarian. Talk about the other extreme!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beachgirl

My husband and I went to Rockenwageners, (at least, I think it was there) and I ordered a vegetarian pasta, but he asked for a plate of the side dishes after explaining he didnt eat meat, milk, or egg products. He got the most amazing dish of food I have ever seen. It was delicious, made especially for him. I was so envious of his plate, I didnt even want my pasta! LOL!
I love Rockenwagner. I used to live a few blocks from there and walked there once a month. I lived closer to Schatzi, and I went there every Sunday morning for breakfast. I wonder how veg-friendly Schatzi is...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went to TGI Friday's and got the portebella mushroom/squash/pasta thing (I forget what it's called). When it got to my table, I was like "wait a minute, I did NOT order steak" Hehe, it was the mushroom.....*drool* It was goooood!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Applebee's has an appetizer called the Veggie Patch Pizza which is spinach, artichoke, tomato and mushroom pizza on crispy flatbread. I loved it.. and although it has cheese on it I'm sure you can request it without the dairy. I have had pretty good times at restaurants since I just order salads or veggie burgers.. veggie burritos and soups.

Although at a family dinner at the ClaimJumper once I ordered a huge chicken salad.. and was very specific that there was to be NO chicken, and when I got my meal there was a greasy dent in the top of the salad and grease trail off the side of the plate. I had to wait another 20 minutes or so for a fresh salad and didn't even get my iced tea refilled in that time. No tip for that waitress!

I mean HELLO.. I'm paying the price for a salad that includes meat and I'm not getting the most expensive part of that salad which is the meat.. and then you give it to me with chicken grease all over it and don't even refill my drink! It was annoying.. but that's the only bad experience I can think of.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Quote:
when I got my meal there was a greasy dent in the top of the salad and grease trail off the side of the plate
Eww Eww Ewwwwww! I always forget when ordering a salad that they all seem to come with bacon bits even the "garden" salad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.