VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in desperate need of some ideas for alternatives to pasta sauce. I have a ton of pasta in my cabinet, and no idea what to do with it.

Basically my issues are that I'm currently going dairy free (due to it possibly being what's causing some issues with my youngest child through my breastmilk) and also that I'm allergic to tomatoes. So that basically takes away the typical pasta sauces and also now alfredo sauce which used to be my "go to" sauce. I've had a few people suggest pesto, but I have yet to find a pesto that I can stand. It typically contains pine nuts, which I detest the taste of, and even ones that don't have pine nuts just taste bad to me >_<.

If I was cooking egg noodles this would be a non-issue because I would just cook them in some vegetable broth, but when it comes to other pasta (I try to use brown rice pasta, but otherwise I use whole grain or whole wheat) I'm stumped!

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I don't even know if I like pine nuts or not- they're too darn expensive! I do love pesto made from the basil I grow all summer, garlic, olive oil and walnuts pureed in a food processor. I use about 2 cups fresh basil, 1 cup walnuts, bunch of garlic cloves, and drizzle oil. Then I use veg broth to thin out.

Have you used nutritional yeast? There are many "cheezy" sauces made that use it, but if you don't know if you care for it, you'll want to go easy. I prefer ones with raw cashews and lots of garlic.

Eggplant makes a great sauce. I like to peel, chop, and let simmer with garlic and onions and pepper- don't have to add tomatoes.

Olive oil and garlic, onions, mushrooms, peppers

Miso and tahini
Spicy nut sauces

Look up pasta sauces in vegweb--
http://vegweb.com/

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
You can make a nice white sauce with just flour and margarine as the base. Also, a superb alredo sauce with cashews: http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...light=garlicky

You could try a pesto with spinach and nutritional yeast maybe, for that cheesy flavor without the pine nuts. Using ny to make "cheese" sauce is fab too. There are about a gazillion different varieties. I just usually mix some margarine and nutritional yeast with a bit of garlic, salt, turmeric, and mustard (and maybe a bit of soyamilk or oil).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Make a pasta toss with diced tomatoes and spices... yummy.
She's allergic to tomatoes

Have you tried Daiya vegan cheese? I make a creamy sauce out of that by sauting some garlic and then adding in about a cup to a cup and a half of almond milk and once it's heated through I sprinkle in daiya while stirring constantly so it melts and blends completely through (it melts easily) and then I add in some dried parsley and juice from half of a lemon, some nutritonal yeast and if I have some vegan parmesan sprinkle stuff (it's like the kraft parmesan in the can) I'll add a tablespoon or so of that in too. It goes great with pasta and usually add in a bunch of spinach towards the end to cook into it before tossing it with pasta.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried that brand, is it available anywhere online? Right now the closest natural foods store to me is almost an hour away and money is tight so I can't afford to really go out there
it sucks.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I know vegan essentials carries it but its $5.99 a bag plus shipping and since it's something that has to be kept cold it wouldn't be cheap to ship. A nut based sauce like cashew or almond might be another replacement for the daiya/almond milk. I haven't tried making them yet though.

Sometimes I'll just make a sauce out of white wine, garlic, basil, some whole pine nuts and spinach to toss with pasta also. If you used to like seafood you could try some type of sea vegetable like seaweed or nori or kombu with it (I've done it with nori and liked it). I sprinkle red pepper flakes over it on my plate for some added kick.

Depending on the pasta types you have you could also make soups and then add in some pasta. I made a root veggie soup not long ago and then added in some broken up linguine pasta. It was really good!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
It's been awhile since I've made a white sauce, and I'm not sure where the recipe is. It consisted of silken tofu, a little lemon or lime juice, salt, garlic, oil (canola or grapeseed), and a little agave nectar. I'm sure there are vegan versions of this floating around the internet that are essentially the same. It had a very smooth texture and looked gorgeous on pasta.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I like to take leftover spaghetti (thin or angel hair) and stir fry it with a little mix of Earth Balance and olive oil, add some chopped onions (or not) and coconut aminos (as a sub for soy sauce - finally had to order it from Amazon). I also second any of the white sauce suggestions. I'm big on mixing nutritional yeast with a little melted EB and Silk creamer...had that yesterday on my Soy Boy ravioli!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have made a basic white sauce before with veg*n milk and stirred in flavored hummus. It gives a nice result, adds nutrition and there's lots of variety with all the different flavor options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
one of my favourites is cooking up some mushrooms and leek, then adding some flour, and ricemilk, it goes nice and creamy.... nice with nut yeast, or without...

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
My Giant Eagle grocery started carrying Daiya- both mozzerella and cheddar, at $4.99, which is the usual price at NFS.
Go to the stores customer service and request it now and then, they might buy it, and with the media attention to plant based diets, it could catch on! I certainly find it a good replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Perhaps a peanut sauce would work? Something like this recipe. I've also had good luck sauteing garlic + whatever vegetable is on hand (zucchini or broccolini works well) and then tossing it with the pasta.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a bit older but I figured I'll give you an input. When both my son and daughter didn't tolerate tomatoes I used butternut squash to make a sauce with it. Just cube the squash and cook it, drain some of the water and purree. Add your usual seasonings and you'll have a delicious sauce :0)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We had this the other day and it was delish:
1 med sweet potato roasted in the oven and cooled and peeled (we had sweet potatoes the day before so just roasted an extra one)
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 small clove garlic
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 TB lemon juice
1 cup (or more if you want it thinner) non dairy milk.

Zoosh everything but the sweet potato in the blender until smooth then put in the sweet potato and blend. Add more "milk" if needed. heat and serve over pasta. Good with roasted broccoli on the side.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Pureed roasted red bell peppers with some chillies and garlic is also awesome als a pasta sauce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts