VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br><br>
Let me introduce myself. My name is Liz and I live in Oklahoma. I am fairly new to the vegetarian way of life but I can say it has been fun and I feel alot better. The best part was when my roomate made some fresh whole wheat and soy bread and we used some soy butter and OH MY GOSH was that out of this world.<br><br>
But on to my biggest question I have is this;<br><br>
I have always heard that a person absolutley needs some type of meat in their diet, I think this is false due to so many other countries having large vegetarian diets. Is there something like amino acids or a multi vitamen we should be taking ?<br><br>
I am an active person and we are going to be starting back to the gym next week. I want to keep the muscle I have and I know I will need to take in sufficient protien to maintain my muscle. Any help would be appreciated because I really would rather stay away from meat.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks<br><br>
Liz

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Congrats on going veggie. You are on a wonderful path.<br><br><br><br>
I have been vegetarian since birth. Humans do not need to eat meat, ever.<br><br>
I was a runner and cheerleader in high school. I am fairly strong (for a woman). I have never broken a bone in my life, despite my active / adventurous life.<br><br><br><br>
If you are eating a proper diet veggies, fruit, whole grains, nuts, legumes, etc... you are getting the right nutrition and amino acids. I would recommend taking a B-complex vitamin and possibly a Calcium supplement. <a href="http://www.freedavitamins.com/" target="_blank">Freeda</a> makes all vegetarian vitamins.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.vegetarian-diet.info/vegetarian-food-pyramid.htm" target="_blank">Vegetarian Food Pyramid</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.veganfoodpyramid.com/" target="_blank">Vegan Food Pyramid</a>

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You don't need to eat meat, there are alternatives for almost everything. I'm not real clued up on that, I'm sure someone else will help you out. But I will say this, don't just go and grab a multivitamin or something on the assumption that you'll be lacking, I did, and ended up with too much iron, which is dangerous. If you're concerned about vitamins and minerals please go and get some tests done to see whether you are actually lacking in anything.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You do not need to eat meat to be healthy nor do you IMO need to take any pills or anything.<br><br>
The human body is a pretty darn amazing thing and as long as you are eating properly you do not need a multi.<br><br>
I do not take them and my blood work always comes back very good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have been a vegitarian for all 22 years of my life. i still occasionally consume milk and eggs as ingredients in bought-products, but for he most part, my diet is pretty much without them, due to my fiance's food allergies.<br><br><br><br>
i don't do the vitamin thing and i'm fine. for protien, try legumes (bean/nut family) and soy products- i eat a lot of tofu and we make a lot of different bean concoctions in my family- beans and rice, southwestern style pasta, chilie, chickpea spread, hommus, sloppy joes, etc.<br><br><br><br>
there is also this stuff called TVP- texturised vegitable protien- it works great as a hamburger replacement in chilie to give it that sort of clumpy texture- it also is a tasteless base protien that can be added to a lot of things. you can also put things like tofu in smoothies- since tofu is virtually tasteless, if you use the really soft stuff, it acts kind of like ice-cream.<br><br><br><br>
pm me if you want recipies- i most likley have them somewhere around here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah protein is what you want most often because gives you more energy. You also mentioned that you were returning to the gym so protein is a definite must. Protein bars ( some of them are actually pretty good), shakes, and peaunts! Also since you are returning to an active life, vitamins are reccomended because you would want to keep your energy up whilst excercising.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
This is a duplicate thread. <a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=60534" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=60534</a><br><br>
(I knew I had answered it!)<br><br>
I'll ask a mod to merge them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can only get b12 from meat or animal products, but most multivitamins contain it. I take a multivitamin everyday, I think that everyone should (regardless of diet), it's just my opinion. Soy is a complete protien so you don't need to worry about amino acids if that's your main protien source. I do strength training, so everyday I have a soy protien shake mixed with soy milk. People not weight lifting probably don't need to do that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
People usually overestimate how much protein they need. The RDA, IIRC, recommends .8 g protein per kg of bodyweight, and maybe 1 to 1.5 per kg for athletes. Protein gives you energy, but so do other calories. If you're eating enough calories from a variety of foods, protein should be no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts