VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm a new member. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and having a c section in exactly 1 week.

I've been eating alot of meat as I'm eating lower carb to help gestational diabetes. I get really constipated its just how I am.

Any tips for me? I feel like eating vegetarian before the operation is a good idea especially as constipation could get worse after the c section. Plus I'm fed up of meat in general nowadays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Source: www.nourishdoc.com/Medical-Condition/Gestational-Diabetes/Ayurveda#

Gestational diabetes is a condition characterized by high blood glucose levels that are first recognized during pregnancy. The condition occurs in about 4 percent of all pregnancies. In 95 percent of those cases, diabetes disappears away after childbirth. For about 5 percent of the women, diabetes stays after childbirth. After a woman has had gestational diabetes, she is at risk for developing diabetes type 2 later in life.

How does Ayurveda heal Gestational Diabetes?
Ayurvedic Management Of Gestational Diabetes:
Ayurveda assists in restricting maternal and fetal complications. DIet, Herbs, and yoga asanas are useful as a supportive therapy together with the modern medication under supervision.

Ayurvedic Diet at Gestational Diabetes:
Vegetables: Bitter gourd, fenugreek leaves, tomatoes, bell pepper, spinach, cucumber, radish, sponge gourd, drumstick leaves & fruits, broccoli, kale, lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage.
- Pulses: Largely legumes -- green gram, Bengal gram, black-eyed pea, garbanzo beans, chickpea.
- Spices : Turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, fenugreek seeds
- Cereals : Wheat, oats, barley, pearl millet
- Berries: Plums, oranges, kiwi, lime, guava, peaches, gooseberry, coffee plum / black plum, apple,
Dry Fruits: Almond, apricot, walnut.

Useful Ayurvedic Herbs :
1. Jambul (Eugenia jambolana)Powder from Jamun core is beneficial.
2. Gurmar(Gymnema Sylvestre).
3. Bitter Gourd/bitter melon (Momordica charantia)
4. Ashwagandha(Withania somnifera)
5. Neem
6. Turmeric
7. Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia)
8. Triphala
9. Shilajit
10. Bel (Aegle marmelos).
These herbs have to be used under supervision.

Pranayam breathing exercises:
Every cell in our bodies needs oxygen to work properly. Prana is a Sanskrit term that means life force and Ayama means extending or extending. Therefore, the term"pranayama" translates into the constraint of the life force. Additionally, it is referred to as the expansion of breath. Research demonstrates that a regular practice of controlled breathing may reduce the effects of stress on the body and increase overall physical and psychological wellbeing.

Be careful While doing yoga
Yoga asanas
: While no one yoga pose can help to prevent or alleviate gestational diabetes, practicing this stream of beneficial poses on a regular basis as a recommended part of a regular exercise regimen may help to reduce stress and regulate glucose levels. Always consult with a yoga expert before starting any routine.
  • Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Shodana)
  • Sun Salutations (altered ) -- feet hip-distance apart
  • Warrior 2
  • Standing Twist
  • Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottansana)
  • Bharadvaja's Twist
  • Mountain (Tadasana) -- arms stretched upward
  • Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
  • Lunge
  • Tree Pose (Vrksasana)
  • Garbha Vriddhi: In Garbha Vriddhi, there's an excessive increase in the proportion of stomach and perspiration. Labor is difficult.
Physical Activity: Physical activity during pregnancy decreases the risk of Gestational Diabetes. Resistance exercise helps prevent insulin therapy in obese women with Gestational Diabetes.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Eating animal products increases your chances of having gestational diabetes!
I would strongly suggest a plant based diet, with a focus on produce, esp dark leafy greens. Perhaps watch how fast you up the fiber!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eating animal products increases your chances of having gestational diabetes!
I would strongly suggest a plant based diet, with a focus on produce, esp dark leafy greens. Perhaps watch how fast you up the fiber!

I also would recommend what silva said and add that if you do eat more leafy green salads and more veges, your pregnancy weight will get back to normal much quickler. A nice side-effect with the addition of a precious new baby in the home!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts