VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

HELP! I have decided to go vegan - mainly for health reasons and because I ADORE animals and cannot stand what happens to them. My question is I LOVE cheese! HELP! I don't know how to stop the cheese thing! I despise milk and cannot stand any other dairy products..........it's just the cheese thing.

Do any of you know the names of some cheeses that aren't icky tasting or rubbery? I need to be very careful of soy. I had some cervical cancer removed a few months ago (I have to re-check every 6 months for the next 2 years) and I know that soy, if used in large amounts (how large?) can contribute to hormones. I am SO worried about using anything that could contribute to raising my hormone levels to a point that either the tumors or cervical cancer returns.

Thanks millions to EVERYONE on this board! I find I spend more and more time here and I always feel better about things when I get off line. Everyone here is awesome!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I am of the belief that there are no truly good tasting soy cheeses. There are some that are tolerable. (Tofutti cream cheese is allright, but not quite the same.)

I think your best bet is to just break yourself of the cheese habit. Think about when you eat cheese, and find other alternatives.

For instance:

On pizza - Have it with extra sauce, tomatoes and many mushrooms. Peppers and onions if you're in the mood. The mushrooms make it "meaty" and delicious.

In place of cream cheese on bagels, crackers, etc - Try hummus or nut butters. Get some really good red pepper hummus and I promise you'll never miss cheese and crackers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just made a pizza without cheese. thats how it was originaly invented to my knowledge. either way i just put a lot of oil on top and spread herbs and spices as the sauce/cheese. works for me

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going through the same thing you are. I want to go vegan so badly, but cheese is the only thing holding me back. >_< I dont' eat butter, drink milk, eat eggs, or anything else to do with dairy. I just eat cheese.

I can't find any good vegan cheese ;_;

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I remember that feeling...When I first gave up dairy products, giving up cheese was not easy! Especially cottage cheese. After two weeks of not eating it, I was pretty much over the cravings though. I felt 100% better, I could breathe better, my tummy wasn't constantly in knots and when I did sneak a piece of cheese after the "detox", it tasted like sh*t. Now I can't stand the smell of it either. I will never be a cheese eater again. EVER.

Always keep this in mind; by consuming dairy products, you are supporting the veal industry.

And, also, I'm sure you are aware of this, but cheese comes from a cow's breastmilk. Are you sure that another species breastmilk is meant for us to consume? These are important things to remember as you are reaching for the fridge. As a breastfeeding mom, I always would think of this. Would I want someone pumping my engorged boobs (after taking my newborn son away to be killed) and then making my milk into cheese to feed to someone else? NO!! NO!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It brings tears to my eyes to think about it now. How horrible it is of us to rob those mommy cows of their babies to be turned into "food", rape them, pump their engorged breasts, etc. all because we have a desire to eat a block of saturated fat (meant to turn a little baby cow into a HUGE animal - not a small human into a blimp) that shouldn't even qualify as human food.

Whew! I hope I didn't offend anyone.

BE STRONG!!

Good luck. We all know you can conquer the cheese demon.

-Sal

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
well said sal .... you didn't offend me.

those are my thoughts whenever i see any dairy products. i never have any cravings and i feel sick at the smell of them.

not to mention any animal products ..... ewwwww

smaurer, you'll be fine .... we all went through it and (many) didn't look back

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SallyK........okay - I think that did it for me! You know, it's one thing when you read material for yourself and it's just material.....but when someone actually talks to you and tells you in "real words" it makes all the difference. Thank you

When I was a kid I went away to a summer camp and there is where I learned to hate egg yellows and milk. A couple of the kids told me egg yellows are "chicken embryo's", which they really ARE and that milk was "cow puss". That did it for me! I don't think I had either one of those since I was possibly 7 or 8. I do eat egg substitutes..........anyone heard anything about them? From what I read on them - there's no dairy, but......I could be wrong. As a fitness competitor, it's hard to get away from eating that type of protein - but I will if it contains any real dairy!

Also - ANY type of hummus is awesome! I just love it - and I don't have to eat any cheese on my pizza!

I think I can handle this.........it will be hard for the first couple days, but I think I've managed worse in life!

Thanks for the tons of help!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
By egg substitutes, do you mean the little cartons like Egg Beaters or Better Than Eggs? Those are definetely made with egg whites.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
This may not be very helpful, but you can compare it to smoking. You just have to get over it. I missed cheese longer than any other food, but now I've learned to enjoy food without it, and barely even use substitutes anymore.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Brewers yeast when sprinkled on things gives a similar taste. kreeli's website has an awsome vegan and wheat free pizza recipe. tofu when crumbled looks a bit like cheese in ceasar or greek salads. With dressing you can't tell (ar at least I can't).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
special tip that worked for me. when you eat the cheese just think about what you are eating. information is the key

·
Registered
504 Posts
My love of cheese was the one of the main reasons I resisted turning vegan for years. I had felt guilty about eating it, but I guess not enough to give it up. When I finally did, I felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. I stopped missing it quickly after turning vegan. Also, I used to eat so much cheese that when I gave it up I lost some weight....a little bonus for having compassion.
Like Epski, I've learned to enjoy food without it and hardly ever bother with substitutes.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
There are no good vegan cheeses. Sorry. Actually, the Tofutti ones aren't too bad if you can find them.

You've just got to ween yourself off slowly, and in time, you won't even miss it. Now, when I see a pizza loaded with cheese, my stomach churns and I feel ill--I can't imagine eating that greasy, fatty glob of mess.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I feel lucky reading this thread that I never got to develop an addiction for cheese. (allergies) but erm i do have one hell of a hummus addiction

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Cheese was one of the first things that I cut out in the beginning. I have a milk allergy, so anything with milk in it would send me to reactionville. After having migraine after migraine from trying to eat cheese (or anything with milk for that matter), I decided that it was stupid and I cut it out altogether. Back then, I was omni so I didn't know about vegan cheeses or alternates. I just cut out the milk products and then rearranged my cooking to reflect that.

Now, several years being cheese free and I still don't miss it at all. In fact, nothing's more gross than to see Hubby pile a ton of cheese on his food. I almost can't stand it. To me, cheese smells like milk and milk smells "gone off" so his food smells like rotting gym socks, no matter what he's eating. As for me (smells aside), it's really wonderful not to have headaches, stuffy sinuses, diarrea, or stomache cramps anymore and I feel that lack of cheese/milk products in my diet has made me open up and explore foods and flavours, instead of using my food as an excuse to ruin it with cheese.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Okay, I have been dairy free nearly four years and I STILL miss it.

Sometimes I make my kids a cheese pizza and it looks and smells delicious to me. I want to take a bite...but I don't. And I don't miss it that often.

Somethings that help me not miss it so much: Green chili (it is salty, wet and gooey, like melted cheese) toffutti slices, and Chili Rellenos with *cheese* from the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook.

I still miss Blue Cheese dressing though.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by V3gan

special tip that worked for me. when you eat the cheese just think about what you are eating. information is the key
better yet sit down with a big plate of cheese and watch some videos on factory farming and the dairy industry. i guarantee you'll never look at it the same way again

but yeah i was afraid of going vegan because i loved anything with melted cheese but after a couple of days when all the dairy was out of my system i didn't crave it at all, and still don't. sometimes i'll think something looks good but i'll just sit and imagine how i remember it tasting and i'll realize it doesn't even appeal to me anymore.

if you're concerned about soy try rice cheese instead. Rice-rella is ummm smelly but not awful. if you shred it finely it works ok on nachos. doesn't melt quite as well as the real thing but you get over that pretty quick. smells like my ex roommate's feet though.

i think the trick with substitutes is to not think of it as a substitute. buy some and take it out of the package, re-wrap it in clear plastic wrap. looks just like real cheese, if you don't have that label in front of you you're less likely to turn your nose up at it.

i hated soymilk at first because i think the name made me think it was supposed to taste like cow's milk. once you get over it and realize it's a different product and shouldn't be compared, it's yummy stuff.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just make sure the cheese you are buying is vegan. i was eating some soy cheese that has casein in it until one day i noticed the ingredient. and its in most soy/rice cheese's at grocery stores.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RedStarJedi

Brewers yeast when sprinkled on things gives a similar taste. kreeli's website has an awsome vegan and wheat free pizza recipe. tofu when crumbled looks a bit like cheese in ceasar or greek salads. With dressing you can't tell (ar at least I can't).
Nutritional yeast (try KAL) is probably a better bet than brewer's yeast here, and it seems even cheesier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.