VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM trying to make the transition from a vegetarian to a vegan. It's so much easier when I am not around my parents (I live at school) However, I do have a more limitied access to a stove now*sigh* Here is my problem though. I am hitting a brick wall with most people here.
Everyone was very supportive and helpful when I went veg, a few months ago, and I feel comfortable enough to know I can go vegan now, even if it will take a little while.

What I would like to know from you guys is how I can help convince people (like my sister) that this is healthy and that fish is in fact a meat. OMG, I got into a huge argument about this the other day with my sister. "Fish isn't a meat Kaleigh. " ~yes it is~ ""But mom eats it and she's a vegetarian" ~Then she's not fully a veg~ Oh geeze, you should have heard her go off when I said THAT. And people think I'll change a lot if I go vegan. As if it will take me over and tell me to do crazy things.

Also, are there some foods that as a veg I might not have had a problem eating, but as a vegan I should look out for (things I might not think of). Like I just learned that McDonalds french fries have beef whatever in them. Not that I ever ate them a lot, but it still made me freak out. Any good vegan food companies that make food I can just pop into the mic (i could always just nuke veggies and rice, but I need some variety..college student here) I think I need to visit my local B&N and find a good cookbook...any suggestions?

I realize I have asked a lot here, but if any of you all could answer some of these questions, I would love you forever!
And I promise I will become a more active member.

~Kaleigh

I guess I should tell you I am on a fairly low cal, but still healthy, diet, but I guess that doesn't really matter as going vegan will prob help me keep that.....I need to find vegan chocolate......*runs to find some*

·
Registered
385 Posts
Kaleigh, congrats on your decision to become vegan! It is the right choice although I know it can sometimes be hard.

On your question how to convince people about veganism being a healthy diet, perhaps the best way is to educate yourself first on vegan nutrition. That way you'll know how to refute arguments such as "vegans don't get enough protein" or calcium or whatever. A good website full of nutritional info is http://www.veganhealth.org/sh

About the fish issue, tell your sister that you only eat plants. She will have a harder time proving to you that fish is a plant rather than you proving that it is meat.

Good cookbooks I can recommend for someone in a hurry are the Student's Go Vegan Cookbook and Quick Vegan Meals for One or Two. I think both of those are on Amazon. Besides recipes, what I love about the "Quick Vegan Meals" book is that it has tons of ideas on how to throw together a quick yummy vegan meal not always involving cooking.

Final note about the low cal diet - of course, this is your choice, but I would recommend you focus not so much on calories but rather on what your calories come from. Since I've gone vegan about two months ago I've lost 5 pounds although I actually eat more calories now than when I was a vegetarian. I have however, drastically cut down on fat, sugar and processed grains. I eat a lot more veggies, fruit, whole grain products, legumes, and nuts.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
For quick stuff, check out Yves foods. I'm not sure if they're all vegan, but many of them are. They even say so on the package. They've got about half a dozen varieties of TV dinners. They're refridgerated, not frozen, so look for them in with the tofu and fake meat products, not frozen foods. They also cook faster because of that (veggie lasagna in only 2 minutes!).

Since you mentioned chocolate, can someone recommend some vegan chocolate? I thought dark chocolate wasn't supposed to have milk in it, but I checked at the store the other day, and all the major brands have milk fat in them.

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Congratulations! I am a big fan of Amy's foods and it will tell you if it's vegan right on the ingredients.

I also just got Vegan With A Vengeance, which is a great vegan cookbook. The recipes are cheap and easy to make.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't know about commercial chocolate but you could always find a recipe somewhere for vegan chocolate. Vegan With A Vengeance has a recipe for chocolate pudding I am making this week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

About the fish issue, tell your sister that you only eat plants. She will have a harder time proving to you that fish is a plant rather than you proving that it is meat.
Hah! This is so good!!

And another vote for Vegan with a Vengence. It's an AWESOME cookbook. However, it doesn't rely on pre-made (microwavable) convenience foods at all, so depending on how much cooking you're able to do, it may or may not be a great help to you since you don't have a stove. Looking into some raw cookbooks might be helpful, though? Heavy on knifework but no stove required!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some access to a stove, so I can premake thing and freeze them I guess. I will go check out that cookbook. Sounds good to me. And I have often thought about becoming a raw foodist, but I figure, let me get the whole vegan thing down first before I try to do anything else. But raw foods just look so good!

Thanks for the advice everyone. And if I find a good vegan chocolate, I'll let you know (i was surprised about dark chocolate too)

~Kaleigh

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The nice thing about Vegan With A Vengeance is the recipes aren't complicated so how much you actually need access to a stove is debateable because most of the stuff is quick to make, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, the recipes aren't very expensive which is always nice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I went out and bought all vegan foods, and even premade things so it's really easy for me to grab food quickly. Just pop it into the mic. and its ready. And surprisingly my omni boy friend likes both of the things I made (which is bad b/c now he will eat it all, lol). Vegan cheese was hard to find though. All the soy cheeses had something in them that is from milk, or animals or something like that. Whats up with that anyway? Whats the point of having soy cheese then?

~Kaleigh

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on becoming vegan
There are some vegan dark chocolates, but they're not the big names (i.e., Hershey's). Endangered Species, some of the Newman chocolates, and my fav Pangea's vegansweets chocolates (on-line vegan store). I also like Vegan with a Vengeance and there's Vegan microwave cookbook (which I don't have, but it sounds like it might be good for you). I also love a lot of Amy's frozen foods and soups, especially as it says right on it "vegan" (after the word ingredients, but before the list). There are a couple of vegan soy cheeses such as Follow Your Heart, mainly tofu/soy based. As far as what to look out for, whey, gelatin, vitamin D3, honey, casein, lactose, etc. There are lists out there if you really want to get picky!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love Amy's food, even before I went veg and now vegan (or trying very very hard to) I ate it. So did the bf. Its just expensive around here, and Im a college student so money is a bit of an issue.

The bf is still eating my vegan pizza so thats a good sign, and Im sure he'll like the stir fry as well, though he has said he is wary of tofu. He'll get over it, lol.

Im going to look for that microwave vegan cookbook, as I think that sounds good for me, though I knwo how to make a lot of vegan options in the mic. Pretty easy really. they make so many fake meats that I can pop in a forget about.

~Kaleigh

and ps, an advocado, tomato and hummus sandwich is my new favorite food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts