VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started my vegan diet a few days ago. I'm breastfeeding my two month old daughter and she doesn't seem to be eating as much as usual today. When I googled it I found something saying I'm releasing toxins from my body into her breast milk. Does anyone know about this? Is there a way to transition to a vegan diet without harming my little baby?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Jacquie View Post

So I just started my vegan diet a few days ago. I'm breastfeeding my two month old daughter and she doesn't seem to be eating as much as usual today. When I googled it I found something saying I'm releasing toxins from my body into her breast milk. Does anyone know about this? Is there a way to transition to a vegan diet without harming my little baby?
Congratulations on your new baby!
Breast milk is the best food for your baby, don't worry, you are in no way poisoning her! Your milk is *healthier* because you're eating vegan, don't believe the detox hype of the dairy/formula types.

How is your daughter acting aside from the appetite change? More/less sleepy, cranky, quiet? Does she have the regular amount of diapers? Fever? Keep an eye, sometimes appetite change is her fighting off an infection. I'm an RN btw so i worry

About the "detox" stuff, go to LaLecheLeague website, (it is dot org,) they have all the latest studies and information
Stay around here though for support on your awesome new vegan journey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went vegan whilst I was breastfeeding (6 weeks after she was born actually and it was the best thing I ever did). I wouldn't believe anything about toxins being released into your breastmilk, and if that were true imagine all the toxins babies all around the world get when their mothers eat McDonalds! IMO just plunge head first into your vegan diet and don't look back.

As for baby not being hungry, perhaps she's just had a growth spurt? If she's behaving like her normal self than I wouldn't be concerned. Some days bubs are hungry somedays they are not as much (just like an adult our hunger ebbs and wanes).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still looking for info

I've been vegan before kids but I just went vegan while breastfeeding my 6 month old (my 2nd). About a week and a half after going vegan, my husband complained that I smelled really bad one day. The next morning, my son started puking. No fever or anything, but puking for a few days and really smelly diapers. It only lasted a few days, and his "recovery" coincided with the smell going away. I do believe the detoxing from the sudden diet change made him six temporarily. I think my body is starting to normalize now that I am in my 2nd full week and hopefully we will be good moving forward. I have been trying to find more information about this but am coming up short. From what I understand, toxins are stored in your fat cells. As you eat healthier and burn those fat cells, the toxins are released and are excreted in your sweat, urine, feces, and yes, breast milk. I have read in many different places not to detox during breastfeeding as the toxins will seep into your milk. Breast milk has tested positive for aluminum and glyphosate (Round Up) and these are not things that are naturally occurring in our bodies/our milk. These are environmental toxins that we consume and metabolize or excrete or that bioaccumulate in our fatty tissues. I have done a lot of skin brushing and scrubbing my skin in the shower, started rebounding (light jumping on the trampoline), been drinking a ton of water, stopped putting anything on my skin in an effort to keep my pores open...all to help speed up the process of excreting what my body is trying to get rid of. While I'm at work I am still pumping and I nurse when we're together, but I have been giving him frozen milk from before I made the diet change to offset whatever he is getting from me.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Your breasts are natural filters. Even if your body is "detoxing" (which it isn't, unless you're losing massive amounts of weight, in which case the toxins stored in your body fat are being released into your body, which is not happening if you're getting enough calories. All that's happening is that you've stopped PUTTING the toxins in your body), it'll stay out of your breast milk.

The change in your baby's appetite is probably flavor. The foods you eat do actually change how the milk tastes, so it could be that your baby just needs to get used to the new flavor.
As long as your baby is having enough wet diapers in a day, there's nothing really for you to worry about. Breast are incredible things, they will make sure all the right stuff goes into your baby's food
This information is flawed. Some environmental toxins are capable of contaminating a woman's breastmilk - the American Academy of Pediatrics has detailed information: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/3/776/T7

I will ask the moderators to consider deleting the misinformed post.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
I've been vegan before kids but I just went vegan while breastfeeding my 6 month old (my 2nd). About a week and a half after going vegan, my husband complained that I smelled really bad one day. The next morning, my son started puking. No fever or anything, but puking for a few days and really smelly diapers. It only lasted a few days, and his "recovery" coincided with the smell going away. I do believe the detoxing from the sudden diet change made him six temporarily. I think my body is starting to normalize now that I am in my 2nd full week and hopefully we will be good moving forward. I have been trying to find more information about this but am coming up short. From what I understand, toxins are stored in your fat cells. As you eat healthier and burn those fat cells, the toxins are released and are excreted in your sweat, urine, feces, and yes, breast milk. I have read in many different places not to detox during breastfeeding as the toxins will seep into your milk. Breast milk has tested positive for aluminum and glyphosate (Round Up) and these are not things that are naturally occurring in our bodies/our milk. These are environmental toxins that we consume and metabolize or excrete or that bioaccumulate in our fatty tissues. I have done a lot of skin brushing and scrubbing my skin in the shower, started rebounding (light jumping on the trampoline), been drinking a ton of water, stopped putting anything on my skin in an effort to keep my pores open...all to help speed up the process of excreting what my body is trying to get rid of. While I'm at work I am still pumping and I nurse when we're together, but I have been giving him frozen milk from before I made the diet change to offset whatever he is getting from me.
Hi Mommy Mispagel,

Unfortunately, it's tricky to advise you on this, because we don't really know what you're eating, and we don't know your current state of health.

I would strongly encourage you to present your questions and concerns to a Registered Dietitian (RD or RDN) who specializes in infant nutrition, and in vegetarian/vegan nutrition. Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to a local RD. If not, you can find local RD's through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper-right part of their website.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
The idea of detoxing is really more of a fad hoax. While eating more fiber, less meat and dairy, certainly may cause physical changes, with digestion, maybe headaches, bowel movements, it's not because of 'detoxing' it's simply diet changes.
You really should consult a dietician or your doctor. I would not ignore your babies symptoms.

Please be sure to supplement B12, algae DHA and D, in a good prenatal vitamin!!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.