VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research on veganism and found a dictionary definition as well as a more filled out definition on veganism on this site.

"Vegans also avoid products that promote animal cruelty such as... cleaners tested on animals"

I want to become a vegan soon, but this rose a question in me. What about these cleaners (detergents, soaps, etc.) that are tested on animals? They are tested on animals to make sure they don't cause cancer or other illnesses, right? So now I'm conflicted. I don't want products tested on animals, but I don't want to be the one being tested on either.

I would really like some friendly advice and if there are cleaners that are vegan and are proven not to cause cancer and such please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
virtually all the ingrediants in use for health, beauty, and cleaning products have already gone through testing. Testing doesn't even mean they're still safe for health or environment, just enough to protect the companies against lawsuits, and that's why they continue to do the animal testing-like they can say they're doing everything they can to protect the public.

Have you used natural cleaners? There are many labels out there that don;t do testing or use ingrediants that have been tested.
there are many ways to combine ingrediants that will do the same job as premade stuff.

Castile soap (Dr. Bronners, Method, Kirks...)
Baking soda
vinegar
salt
citrus oil
tea tree oil
lemon juice
hot water
pumice stone

Its a learning curve. Like with baking soda- for grease or stains sprinkle on a wet surface and go away. Come back and scrub off
Pumice stone, like for callouses, are gentle enough to scrub porcelian
citrus oils break the bond between surface and stain
HEres a good link comparing the difference;
http://www.livescience.com/1737-truth-green-cleaning-products.html
http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2013/06/homemade-all-natural-cleaning-recipes.html

Just do a searcn for 'natural cleaners' and you'll come up with so many hits!
there isn't much controversy over which are better either--just like your doctor should prescribe the lowest strenght antibiotic to cure an infection you should never try and kill germs with crazy strong chemicals, it's counter productive

We have been indoctrined innocently that we need things we do not, by companies using scare tactics to maintain their profits

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
this reminded me to check up on Bon ami, a cleanser i remember my grandmother favoring. They've never done testing, but now changed from tallow to an all vegan formula using plant oils, feldspar and limestone.
They do have an original formula in a red can, but it seems it's limited.
If you read the explanation for why we use animals it's all tied to greed. Killing someone and taking things from them is easier and cheaper than doing work ourselves
http://www.bonami.com/index.php/products/powder_cleanser/

and this list of cruelty free companies
http://features.peta.org/cruelty-fr...=0&Dotest=-1&RegChange=-1&Country=-1&Keyword=

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why does my reply need a title? lol

Thank you! I will look into natural cleaners and make a list of natural cleaners and what they are used for to put in my house. I posted this same question on Facebook and got another great answer containing some of the same suggestions.
I'm going to start to transition to vegan on August 1st.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I always wondered why people use titles on replies! I'm not sure what you're seeing I guess because I'm just used to however I reply. I go to to the quick reply and it doesn't ask for title

Glad you're here! Everyone (VBer's) here have been my greatest help in going and staying veg'n
Just keep in mind how indoctrinated we have become and keep open to what's real and what's sells.
Finding normalicy in being vegan doesn't happen overnight. it's a huge change and takes time to explore. I'd say for me it was a struggle for at least the first 6 months, and years before it was normal, natural and everything else became very, very strange! Now eating vegan has more variations than when i ate meat, and the other benefits, like cleanliness, are even better

Are you now a omnivore or vegetarian?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been a vegetarian for about 7 months now, but I just don't feel like it's enough. I was thinking of transitioning slowly within a 6 month period, but it almost seems like I could just transition on my first day and never look back.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
My daughter makes her own cleaners and deodorant.

I'm not that resourceful, and have found it easier to buy plant based shampoo & body wash.

Take your time, read labels, etc. and you'll discover a lot.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
There are many cleaners that are not tested on animals. Even many mainstream brands may avoid animal testing for household products and cosmetics (for example: http://www.pg.com/en_US/sustainability/policies_practices/animal_welfare.shtml) although you won't find them on PETA's "do not test" list.

Meat, dairy and eggs directly harm the animals involved in their production. Even if you don't eliminate all sources of animal harm in your life, you are still reducing harm by eating a vegan diet.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
My daughter makes her own cleaners and deodorant.

I'm not that resourceful, and have found it easier to buy plant based shampoo & body wash.

Take your time, read labels, etc. and you'll discover a lot.
How does she do that? Can you ask her to give you the, uh, recipes for her deodorant and shampoo? Thanks.

Reactions: Radharc
1 - 10 of 10 Posts