VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola !!

i recently became a vegaterian
and i wanna know (dont know if its a stupid question. if so my apolgies) im breastfeeding a 1 month old baby boy
, does this have any type of side effect on the baby ? lack of nutrient or something due to the change ??

anvther thing i wanna ask u are a few tips, ideas, suggestions, what happen with ur body know when u made the transition.. im an animal lover 200% i was already thinking on going withouts meats, but when i looked for info on how they are treating this poor animals in the slaughter houses i just could not stand it. i serioulsy dont even know how this is even legal... so anyways i looked for info and i want to stick to this, really do, and i know i can

no meats, no poulrty, no eggs and no more cows milk ! yay for soy milk,lol

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Moving this to the parenting forum so some mommies/daddies might see it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Welcome!

is your doctor supportive? The only reason i ask is as a momma to be in 1 month, having my doctor behind me has been a huge help when people confront me about my dietary choices.
I think as long as you are eating a well balanced diet (vegetarian/vegan) that you should be fine. Are you still taking pre-natals? The biggest two things I would be concerned about are vitamin D and Vitamin B12, which are attainable by access to sunlight and supplements.

When i made the transition I was also quitting smoking, so I'm not sure which "side effects" were related to either, i had a bit of congestion and was gassy/bloated. That was about it.

You will need to listen to your body and perhaps it would be worth tracking what you are eating into a program that checks what you are eating (fit today, myplate or something like that ((i think)) hopefully someone else can tell you the site, I can't remember it right now). Make sure you are eating enough, and eating a good variety of foods (which is so easy!)

If you are lacto ovo, I can't see any reason to worry about protein, but again tracking your food is a sure way to know what you are eating and that it is enough.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You and your baby should be fine. If you're supplementing and he's getting vitamin drops, you've got even less to worry about. Plus you'll be getting good feedback on his pediatrician visits on how well he's growing. They keep weighing them if I remember right, and you'll be getting constant feedback on his length and weight compared to other babies his age.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just make sure you are taking a b12 sup and you should be fine. If you have a healthy well balanced diet, you have nothing to worry about

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am sure it can be done! However, it may be hard juggling the demands of a new baby and this strict diet. I switched to meat twice a week during breastfeeding. I just didn't want to risk it for my baby. I know it can be done on a vegan diet, but this is the choice I made. I had been vegatarian for the 9 years prior to this.

I just read your post again and it seems that remaining vegan is the only option for you? If so, good for you! I still think you should get medical advice though. Good luck

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nutriti...atal_vegan.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
I breastfeed a four month old. I became a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) when he was just a month old. At first, my doctor was concerned that I wouldnt handle my new diet well and it would cause him problems too so he asked to see me every week, then every two weeks. I went from having a child who I was sure I was going to have to wean for not getting enough milk to one that eats less frequently, eats more and is now growing like a weed. My milk supply seemed to double in a week. He is not the least bit fussy after he eats (unless I eat jalapenos). I take b-12 drops, though its probably not necessary as I was a meat eater for years and have a good store. But you can never be too careful. I also have to eat... a lot... I will say that I am frequently hungry. I snack probably four or five times a day as well as eat three meals. I always keep nuts, dried fruit, etc. close to me because I seem to always be hungry for a little something. Ive already lost all my baby weight and a few extra pounds I was working on but am not at all unhealthy. I have to spend a lot more time paying attention to my food, but its so worth it. My doctor released me to regular checkups last week saying that Ethan is incredibly healthy. He didnt even recommend a vitamin drop. He said that if he gets fussy and acts like he isnt getting enough, I need to bring him in and most importantly, to pay attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.