VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months I've been debating whether I should switch to a more ethical dog food. After the recent pet food recall my husband is now insisting that we start making our own dog food.

I've ordered some supplements from http://www.vegepet.com/ and I'm planning on trying some of these recipes: http://www.vegepet.com/vdoginstr.pdf

I also plan on reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Obligate-Carni...079682-5226437

I don't want this to turn into a thread about whether it is natural/ethical to feed a pet vegan food. I've already given this a lot of thought and I've made my decision.

I would appreciate tips and advice from those of you who already feed your pets vegan and/or homemade food.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have been thinking along these lines too and was wondering about what suppliments would be good. When you start, I would love to know some of the recipes your dog liked too. Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I feed my dogs a lot of the same food that I eat. They also have Natural Balance's Vegetarian formula (which is actually vegan) kibble for when they get the munchies and for the various vitamins and such. Have been doing this for two years. They both had bloodwork done recently and are as healthy as can be.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob1969 View Post

I would appreciate tips and advice from those of you who already feed your pets vegan and/or homemade food.
You might want to consider also adding an L-carnitine supplement. Some dogs do fine but some need additional supplementation with a meatless diet. Vegedog doesn't add l-carntine. Neither do most of the premade veg*n dog foods.

I don't know if L-carnitine can be tested for by blood sample, but a deficiency can cause dilated cardiomyopathy. The only way to test for that is an echocardiogram.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah, I think it didn't always have it. I was so happy to see that it is there now. I feel much better about giving them that to eat. It makes it a lot easier on me as well. I can't always give them homecooked meals. I've been sick this past week and there were a couple days where I wasn't even cooking for myself...just scrounging for anything I could find in the fridge. Also, when I leave them with a sitter (like when I go back to the States to visit the folks), it's MUCH easier to find a sitter willing to pour some kibble into a bowl every day than a sitter willing to cook vegan food for them every day! hahahaha~!

I also like having the kibble around because my little dog is, well, very little. She's 1.9 kilos on a good day and I always worry about her eating enough. So I make sure there is kibble in their bowl (they share food and water bowls) 24/7 so whenever little miss dainty toes feels a slight hunger pang, she can indulge it whether I'm there or not.

Now, if I can just get my older one off the tomato kick he is on.....they are both good about not begging, but manners get thrown to the side when a baby tomato is visible. He goes WILD begging for those things and knocks down everything in his path.

For those wondering what dogs might like to eat, here are some things that mine like to eat:

brown rice, barley, lentils, tofu, almonds, pecans, coconut milk, oatmeal, ground flax, chick peas, popcorn

(raw) carrots, red, yellow and orange bell pepper, tomatoes (only the older one though), the stems (only) of baby bok choy

(cooked) baby bok choy (stems and greens), potato, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, spinach

fresh: apples, oranges, bananas, mangoes, pineapple, watermelon

dried: apples, mangoes, papaya, pineapple

I know there is more, but I can't think of it right now. Oh, and they won't eat anything from my hand if I've been eating kumquats. They always CLAIM they want a taste of a kumquat, but turn away in distate whenever I offer it to them. Apparently the smell is really strong, because my tomato loving dog turned down a tomato I offered while I was eating a bowl of kumquats.

I used to feed my older dog grapes until I read that they are poisonous for dogs. He'd been eating them for years with no ill effect, but I quit feeding them because it was pointed out to me that while he showed no immediate effect, it could be something that was building up inside. Better safe than sorry....so now, no grapes in my house. Can't really eat them in front of him without offering...he wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I think with the grapes they have to eat a large amount at once, like when my dogs got into the garbage and ate the whole bag. Of course if your dog is little, the amount would be smaller. But I don't think a few grapes is anything to worry about, though I don't give them to my dogs any more either. Actually I haven't even bought grapes since our expensive adventure. But we used to feed them to my mom's dog before we knew, a few at a time, and he lived to the ripe old age of 17.

I have one dog who loves all kinds of fruits and veggies. The others aren't too fond of anything but bananas. But they will make themselves eat carrots, cauliflower, watermelon, whatever it is if they see the veggie lover eating it. They're always afraid they're going to miss out on something.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just remembered.....when we were visiting my mom (during our year back in the States), my mom, my dog, and I were all in the backyard. She was showing me all the flowers and herbs she had planted and the dog was checking out EVERYTHING. Then we got around to her tomato bushes....and she said she must be having a "senior moment" because she was SURE she'd had more cherry tomatoes on the vines.

Later, she caught him swiping the tomatoes right off the vines and devouring them.

I had totally forgotten about that until now!
So, I guess it's not a new craze...it's an ongoing one that I hadn't been indulging! Until recently, I've been very anti-tomato. I didn't like the "slimy" insides. But, two weeks ago I decided to have some spaghetti...but I don't have sauce ($20 a jar is just too expensive no matter how delicious it is), I thought I could just chop up some tomatoes and add garlic and basil. It WAS yummy...and while I was chopping, one slipped and fell to the floor where it disappeared almost instantly. Now, they are his favorite treat and I buy them for him even if I'm not planning on spaghetti.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I have one dog who loves all kinds of fruits and veggies. The others aren't too fond of anything but bananas. But they will make themselves eat carrots, cauliflower, watermelon, whatever it is if they see the veggie lover eating it. They're always afraid they're going to miss out on something.
My dog, Kibo is the same way. He does like a lot of vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower, but he does not care for lettuce. If he sees our pet rabbit, Scamper, eating lettuce though, he'll beg for some too. It's like he thinks he's missing out on something if Scamper is eating something that he doesn't have too. I try giving them both treats at the same time, but Kibo always eats his first then tries to sneak more from the slow eating rabbit.

Whenever I see this I have to smile at the irony of a dog sneaking up on a rabbit so he can grab some lettuce! It's even more ironic when Scamper takes the veggies back from the dog. Those two have no idea that their ancestors were predator and prey.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jojob196...804216001425/0

I got the package from vegepet today, so I'll try making some of the homemade dog food this weekend and start introducing it to Kibo.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update.

I've made the soy kibble on page 5 here:

http://www.vegepet.com/vdoginstr.pdf

In the instructions the say to chop up the dog food by pressing a knife into it, but I think it is easier to use a pizza wheel.

They recommend gradually introducing the new dog food so I mix it with the store bought food. (We still have 2/3 of a bag left.) Kibo seems to enjoy the new home made dog food. He picks out all the home made chunks and eats them first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts