VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

The idea of vegetarianism popped into my mind again in the last year as the result of watching "Earthlings". Just the thought has been exciting me in the last couple of weeks. I want to make the change now, whatever it takes.

I have tried two times in the past to achieve the goal. Both times I inevitably ran into trouble with my family who are mostly militant meat eaters. Well, they're not actually that bad. Initially they accepted the idea but I always felt like I was putting everyone else out by making my choice - like I was somehow doing something wrong.
The major problem is that I was not really cooking for myself and I was not totally clued up on what to eat in order to ensure a healthy balance of vitamins and minerals.

Things are different now. I live in a different country now (unfortunately not entirely veg friendly) and I am free to make my own nutrition choices and cook for myself. Not immediately, as I am living for the moment with my girlfriend's family, but we are moving in a couple of months and in the coming weeks I am planning for the change. Unfortunately my girlfriend is not with me, but she is not opposed to me trying.

There would seem to be an incredible amount of conflicting information out there as to whether a vegetarian lifestyle is completely healthy. I feel that the issues are incredibly clouded and I am seeking clarification. When I previously tried to go veg I normally ended up with a weird reaction where I would feel hungry between meals and then when I sat down to eat my appetite would suddenly dissapear and I would eat very little. That, combined, with the uncertainty of health issues led to my downfall both times. I hope that this time I will find the correct information and for that reason I am glad to have found this forum as I have already read a lot of information here which would seem to clear up my doubts as to whether vegetarianism is a viable and healthy way of life.

What is certain in my mind is that meat eating is completely and utterly immoral and what is even sadder is that most people have been blinded to this fact through media and society. My conscience cannot allow me to carry on being a silent supporter of the chain of cruelty that leads to my dinner plate.

I am going to try again soon. I view it like quitting smoking. I quit about four times before I succeeded properly. The problem was a lack of information. As soon as I had the correct information and motivation, I quit easily. I hope that this forum will help me find the correct motivation and information to ensure a successful transition away from meat this time.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is awsome why to change your life for the better keep it up lots of support here. Hope you enjoy, welcome to the boards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts