VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interesting in becoming a Vegetarian for many of the "usual" reasons (Healthier, better for the animals, obviously; and better for the environment). I've never enjoyed eating pork or beef, and so I've only been eating poultry and fish for the past month or so. But after seeing Earthlings, I cannot knowingly put an animal through that just so I can eat a meal. Tomorrow I plan on going grocery shopping for veg*n friendly alternatives!
Going to start out as a lacto-ovo veg and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the support and for having this site.
Just curious, what are people's feelings on buying organic milk and eggs? Are those really any "better" for the animals than conventional? I am curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

Just curious, what are people's feelings on buying organic milk and eggs?
Organic in itself has nothing to do with animal welfare, just with use of chemicals and suchlike. That said, I'm guessing you could find a positive correlation between organic milk/eggs and improved animal welfare.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@leth: Thank you for bringing this up. I automatically assumed that since it was organic, it would be improving the living conditions for chickens and cows. I will try to find some eggs and milk that are from local family owned sources.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

I've always been interesting in becoming a Vegetarian for many of the "usual" reasons (Healthier, better for the animals, obviously; and better for the environment). I've never enjoyed eating pork or beef, and so I've only been eating poultry and fish for the past month or so. But after seeing Earthlings, I cannot knowingly put an animal through that just so I can eat a meal. Tomorrow I plan on going grocery shopping for veg*n friendly alternatives!
Going to start out as a lacto-ovo veg and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the support and for having this site.
Just curious, what are people's feelings on buying organic milk and eggs? Are those really any "better" for the animals than conventional? I am curious. Thanks!
Not the least bit. The term "organic" is not related to animal welfare. It's related to the use of pesticides and GMOs. Milk and Eggs that are completely organic can and almost always docome from animals kept in the conditions you saw in Earthlings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts