VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so on the 25th of this month, I a going on a field trip from Thursday morning, and we get home Saturday morning. I am absolutely dreading this...<br><br>
Stops along the way and back home include McDeath's and Hoss's steakhouse. *shuddershuddershudder*<br><br>
There, they are providing food at the hotel we are staying in. Supposedly, hamburgers and hotdogs. *shuddershuddershuddershuddershudder*<br><br>
I've asked, and they said that they cannot provide a refrigerator in my room.<br><br>
My first question is, how the heck am I supposed to eat???? There is n way I can go a day without filling myself up with good, wholesome, vegan food. I went just a day and a half without much protein and passed out for the first time ever outside a Walgreen's, in Miami last year. I never want to do that again.<br><br>
The second thing is this. I have an enormous aversion to McDonald's. As I drive past them on the road, I don't even look at them. The thing that actually *turned* me a veggie was standing inside a McDonald's and becoming incredibly grossed out by the smell, thenswearing off meat soon thereafter. I don't think I can tolerate sitting with people, in that hellhole, while they eat burgers and fries and shakes, with that smell...that smell...oh, my gosh. McDonald's just goes against everything I stand for in my life--supporting animal abuse, in such a big way, cheap food quality, unhealthy food, unwholesome food, the list goes on. I've actually made myself sick just thinking about it. Those evil golden arches.<br><br>
Forgive me if I sound absolutely loony to you all, but this is truly how I feel. I don't know how to work with these situations. someone, help...please?<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Take some things with you that don't require refridgeration. Like, oatmeal (don't forget a spoon and bowl). All you need for that is hot water. Plus it sticks to your ribs. Take some granola and fruits like apples and oranges. Hmm....what else. Let me think about this for awhile. I'll probably come up with some more. One thing I've learned is not to depend on anyone in any event to meet your food needs.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ugh, this is a tough one. i understand your aversion to eating in meat-y restaurants. yuck!<br><br><br><br>
the plus side is that even mcdonald's serves salad. i know it isn't much of a meal, but if you pack yourself some homemade muffins and soy milk (they sell vitasoy in those little drink boxes now), you'll have yourself a pretty complete meal.<br><br><br><br>
i would probably do a lot of baking before going, because breads and baked goodies keep well and don't spoil. you can also get some soups (imagine foods has several vegan varieties in tetrapaks) to take along to eat in the hotels. most hotels should let you use their microwave to heat up a bowl of soup. you can also buy camping-type foods where you just have to add hot water to dehydrated stuff (hotels will happily give you hot water for tea, i can't see why they wouldn't do the same for a meal-in-a-bag). i know there are at least a few vegan varieties out there because my husband takes them on hiking trips. for breakfast, go for instant oatmeal or p.b. and j sandwiches. you could even mix up a bag of trail mix for snacking.<br><br><br><br>
clif and/or luna bars, crackers, juice boxes, homemade cookies! you'll be the envy of your field-tripping peers!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have *so* learned that already too.<br><br><br><br>
Everything you've named may be good (well...actually..I can't take the texture of oranges plain, but, oh well, I get the idea), except, it's all carbs...what about protein, calcium, etc, etc?? I think I'm going to take some Tofurky jerky, but I seriously can't live on that for 2 days. I'm also a huge fan of savoury as opposed to sweet stuff, so consuming large amounts of fruits, granola, and the liek may really bother me aftera while.<br><br><br><br>
Oh boy...<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.<br><br><br><br>
I love luna bars..I eat one for breakfast everyday.<br><br><br><br>
My problem with the dehydrated soups is that they have WAYtoo much salt in them for my liking. I can't eat them anymore.<br><br><br><br>
I would never, ever even want to go in a McDonald's again, let alone support them by byin their lame attmept at healthiness, a salad. Besides, I dislike iceberg lettuce.<br><br><br><br>
I seriously don't want to just load up on cookies and granola and juice during this field trip. I'll feel like crap without balanced-ness.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks for your suggestions, guys..keep 'em coming.<br><br><br><br>
Cassi

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me also add that I definitely don't eat refined sugar or bleached flour or any kind of refined carbs. So that kicks out the instant oatmeal.<br><br>
And for PB&J, it's rather hard ot keep fresh jelly without something to keep it cool in.<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
The soy milk Kreeli mentioned has protein. And you can always take nuts too. Like she said, it may not be much of a meal, but it's only 2 days. Smuckers or one of them make this like snack size PB & J and crackers thing. The other option is not to go on the trip.. (if that's an option I'm not sure).

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
here's a rough meal plan for you to get an idea of what you could eat on your trip:<br><br><br><br>
b: instant oatmeal or granola, soy milk drink box, banana<br><br>
s: trailmix (try a blend of soy "nuts", raisins, cashews, dried cranberries, banana chips, walnuts or almonds), juice<br><br>
l: mcdonald's salad with your own dressing, a sandwich you made at home that morning (or the night before) with avacado, cucumber, lettuce (tomato might get soggy), more soymilk, a homemade cookie for dessert<br><br>
s: crackers or chips, some water, a piece of fruit or some veggie sticks<br><br>
d: meal-in-a-bag (i've had a pasta and marinara one that isn't too bad), a homemade cookie for dessert(?)<br><br><br><br>
really, you should check out some camping supply stores in your area...we have one in our town that has a great selection of foods that require no refrigeration and minimal preparation. your idea of tofu jerky is great...remember they have fruit and veggie leather, too.<br><br><br><br>
it shouldn't be too hard...you just need to plan well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you don't go in to Mc'D's with everyone else I wonder how that will be perceived? I totally understand your point of view, but to someone who's not vegan, they may perceive you as being negative or anti-social. My advice would be to go and bring your own food, sit in McD's if you must, but definitely show them you can still have a good time. I think that will do more for showing Vegans in a positive light...what do you think?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i sort of look at it like, it's 2 days out of your life, and a few refined grains won't kill you. if it's the difference between attending the trip, or not, i guess you have to decide what's more important to you?<br><br><br><br>
do you avoid refined sugars because you're worried about the use of bone char, or for your health? or both?<br><br><br><br>
i've never had jam go bad on me, even when it's not refrigerated for a couple of days.<br><br><br><br>
the mcdonalds thing is pretty sad, i agree. i would be feeling much the same way you do.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well. That was my issue. i know people with think I'm anti-social with that.<br><br><br><br>
This isn't as much a field trip as it is a competition. I'm one of the main members on our team and they really, really, need me, so, no, going is not an option.<br><br><br><br>
I just don't think I can express how much I hate McDonald's. I seriously don't think I can go. I just don't want to put myself in that situation. The peopel in this competition, however, are friendds with me..so I don't think I really have to worry to much about what they think, they can deal.<br><br><br><br>
I just seriously worry about the protein-and calcium issue. Soymilk doesn't have *that* much protein, and I really do need it..my mother hs a disorder, or soemthing, that makes her really sick when she doesn't get enough. I wonder if I may have the same thing, I get that way also.<br><br><br><br>
I'm just no fan of living off of snack foods. I really do need that balance...I don't know. Hmph.<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't eat refined sugr and grains for the following resasons:<br><br><br><br>
Health<br><br>
Bone Char, in Sugar<br><br><br><br>
And also, I absolutely *CANNOT* stomach the taste of refiened sugar. Even in small amounts, it disgusts me. I can tell when it's there, and I want no parts of it.<br><br><br><br>
Eating refinedcarbs liek flours and pastas is bad for me becaue they make me extremely hungry, and I have no ida why. The last time I ate them was at an olive garden as an ovo-lacto, and I ahad eaten nearly 12 oz. of pasta and was still starving. I oticed this before and don't know why it is. But it is.<br><br><br><br>
Plus, I get headaches when eating either the sugar or the flour. So..<br><br><br><br>
I'm really not tryin to be impossible here...but...I don't know..<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
well, how's this:<br><br><br><br>
make yourself some granola. you don't *have* to make it sweet if you don't want to. i mix up several cups of rolled oats, some raw nuts and seeds (there's your protein), a dash or two of salt, some cinnamon, and some light oil (i also add a bit of maple syrup, but if you don't like it that way, leave it out). then i spread it all in a pan and bake it at a really low temperature, around 250F for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. when it's golden, take it out and allow it to cool. it will get crunchier as it does. then i stir in some dried fruit and bag it in ziplocks or store it in tupperware. this will be a good, whole grain, high protein breakfast for you for two days, no problem. especially if you eat it in a bowl with soy milk.<br><br><br><br>
for your lunches, if you don't want to buy a mcdonald's salad, try bringing along a loaf of bread that you like, or even brown rice cakes, if you cannot have bread, a small jar of nut or bean butter (more protein), and a small container of brown rice syrup, or maybe a banana to slice up and add to the sandwich. on the first day you could also bring fresh, raw veggies to eat; they should keep for at least 12 hours without refrigeration.<br><br><br><br>
your dinners will be trickier if you can't stomach those salty instant meals. if you can bring a small cooler, that would make it much easier. make up some vegetable soup, or some pasta or stir-fry with rice at home, and freeze it in individual servings. if kept in a cooler, they should stay frozen and/or cold until you get home. you can use the hotel's microwave to defrost and heat them.<br><br><br><br>
i would call ahead to make sure the hotel will let you use their microwave though.<br><br><br><br>
other than that, i'm plum out of ideas for you.<br><br><br><br>
good luck!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually did call the hotel and talk to them; they said they are a small place and don't have a refrigerator or microwave available. They are having a grill-our from some company that wil lbring grills, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc, and grill for us (yay. SARCASM).<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
have you actually told anyone that you are vegan? and that you cannot eat meat/dairy/flour etc?<br><br><br><br>
i've found that most hotels and motels of repute are willing to at least try to find solutions to my food dilemas; but they need enough warning.<br><br><br><br>
at the very least, you won't starve to death by eating rice cakes and nut butter, tofu jerky and fresh fruit, carrot sticks and luna bars. if you absolutely must attend, and there is no other way, that's what you gotta do.<br><br><br><br>
and that's it! i'm done!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I really did tell them I don't eat that stuff. All I've got were a bunch of more or less, "Sorry, we can't help you"s. This hotel is a small place out in the middle of nowhere; I'm not surprised they wouldn't accomodate my needs.<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I've taken PB&J sandwiches (whole grain bread, fruit juice sweetened jam) on camping trips before and they last pretty well for a few days as long as you keep them in plastic where they won't get mushed. I've also taken homemade muffins (wholegrain, fruit juice sweetened) everywhere I go. They last fine for a few days without refrigeration. Nuts, fruits and raw veggies should also be fine. Just keep everything in plastic baggies. I'm not sure what to say about being forced into McDonalds. If it bothers you that much and will make you sick, stay on the bus. They can't take too long to scarf down their burgers...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If you can maybe bring your own little cooler, freeze those drink-box sized soymilks, bring some homemade vegan snacks. If you're concerned about protein, maybe bring some soy protein powder to mix in juice. Maybe bring some veggie slices or something in the cooler with the soymilks. Also I freeze muffins, make some they'll keep ok too. As for McDeath, I wouldn't step foot near one either. Eat on the bus, who cares if others think you're anti-social. Just tell 'em you don't support McDeath. Check out around the McDeath, maybe there's another more veg-friendly place to eat.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, I do believe the McDeath's we're stopping at has a Chinese place next to it. Steamed tofu and veggies with tamria and some chinese seasoning..that's good.<br><br><br><br>
The cooler idea seems to be a good one; however, I don't know how long the ice will stay, since I'm going to be gone for two days. Also, I asked my teacher before if I could bring a cooler and she said, "No, we'll already be crammed in the van." (We're taking a van, not a bus as originally planned. Sigh.) She wasn't in much of a good mood, then, though, so I don't know. maybe I'l ltry again. I still don't think it will stay cold as long as I'd like it too though.<br><br><br><br>
My boyfriend is also going ot this place with me. Maybe I can get him to go to the Chinese place with me while everyone eats at McDeath, so I do't feel totally alone...<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
PB and J: Jelly will keep fine for a few days, however, your bread may get that sogginess.. You can always put the jelly on later (even McDonalds offers little jelly packets).<br><br><br><br>
You can um.. get orange juice at McDonald's?<br><br><br><br>
Okay, I survived three weeks in Italy out of my backpack. And they don't even speak English there! It was insane finding vegan food. Here's what I did:<br><br>
Brought a jar of peanut butter and little soymilks in those asceptic boxes.<br><br>
At the first rest stop I hit up the convenience store for a loaf of bread, some muesli-ish cereal and many potato chips. The one thing you can always guarantee is vegan and caloric: potato chips.<br><br>
In addition to random fresh fruits and things, I lived off of that breakfast lunch and snacks. Granted, it's not the healthiest diet.. But I am still alive.<br><br>
For dinner, me and my group always went out. I'd order pasta and marinara sauce, salad w/ oil and vinegar, etc.<br><br><br><br>
So to sum things up: Two things that are always vegan: Potato chips and spaghetti. I'm sure you can order spaghetti anywhere you might go to dinner. There's always that very appetizing baked potato and steamed veggies (*cough* appetizing... *cough*).<br><br><br><br>
Just work the 7-11s along the way. Snatch some luna/clif bars, a bag of Utz, boxes of cereal...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts