VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me the other day that the goats used for their milk and cheese are not mistreated. Does anyone know anything about this?

The reason I ask is that this friend has not been very supportive of my decision to go vegan, yet he supported me being vegetarian for three years. Go figure. Im not going to drink it either way, but Id like to know if this is true or false for my own edification.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Any mammal that gives milk does so in order to feed its young. Any animal we take milk from is either given hormones to trick its body into thinking it's pregnant, or has its baby taken away at birth. The babies are then either killed or raised on formula to become milk producers themselves. Since the milk producers have to "earn their keep," they're kept constantly pregnant, and wear out quickly. Then they are slaughtered for meat when they can't produce any more milk. These are just the facts of the industry -- you can't get around them.

No matter how nicely you treat them, it's still inhumane.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It can be shipped overseas, or sold in stores. Caribbean and African restaurants use goat meat a lot, and it's become popular in high end restaurants. I live in Canada, but the Caribbean restaurant across the street features goat curry and a few other goat dishes.

I did a quick search and got a few articles on the growing popularity of goat meat:

Got Goat?

Dairy Goat Production

Quote from the latter link:

Quote:
All goats, even those selected for milk production, eventually are used for meat unless they die or are destroyed for other reasons. Many people prefer goat meat to mutton, beef, or pork; it is the principal source of animal protein in many North African and West Asian nations. It is also important in the Caribbean area and in Southeast Asia, and relatively more so in developing tropical countries than in the temperate regions. The world production of edible meat from cattle, buffaloes, sheep, goats, swine, and horses is estimated at 17.9 million tons, 5.7% of which comes from goats.
Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts