VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...ear.aspx?c=pfs

Quote:
Bob Parsons, CEO of Go Daddy, is so heinous that we created an award just for him: the Scummiest CEO of the Year Award.
Parsons recently boasted on his blog that he traveled to Zimbabwe to shoot elephants and posted a graphic video of the slaughter. He tried to justify the killing by pointing out that elephants sometimes eat farmers' crops, saying, "It's one of the most beneficial and rewarding things I do."
I previously had no opinion on Go Daddy besides that I found their commercials extremely annoying, but here is a very good reason to get your domain name elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Their commercials are so disgusting. And now I have even more reason to hate them. Sexist and speciesist? Winning combination. <insert eye roll here>

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
... it would've been awesome if the reporter had commented on how the elephants wouldn't have to eat the farmers' crops if we'd stop taking their land away...

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Shooting a couple of elephants makes you the scummiest CEO of the year?

no no.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
And I just renewed my domains with them a few days ago. How do I transfer them somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Shooting a couple of elephants makes you the scummiest CEO of the year?

no no.
It sure doesn't make him a moral human being, or anyone I'd want to give business to

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What a scumbag.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Just renewed with them too.... what to do now?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Just renewed with them too.... what to do now?
Calling them to see what arrangements can be made for hosting your site elsewhere might be a start. I've been very happy with lunarpages.com ( good tech support, cheap ). If it is too costly to move your site write godaddy an email to tell them you will be moving when your contract is up. Then do it and remind them of why.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
NameCheap.com is running a transfer from GoDaddy to Namecheap.com for .com, .net and .org domains for $4.99 with 20% of the proceeds going to SaveTheElephants.com.

Go here, register, THEN put in the coupon code "BYEBYEGD" to get the $4.99 deal. It's EASY, only took me 2 minutes!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

NameCheap.com is running a transfer from GoDaddy to Namecheap.com for .com, .net and .org domains for $4.99 with 20% of the proceeds going to SaveTheElephants.com.

Go here, register, THEN put in the coupon code "BYEBYEGD" to get the $4.99 deal. It's EASY, only took me 2 minutes!
Haha, that's awesome! I don't have a website, but this cracked me up. Nice move.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I called GoDaddy to find out how to move my domains to the same place that hosts my sites, and the girl was friendly at first. She said she understood how some people like their domains at the place their site is hosted. I told her I was moving them because of their CEO and his elephant hunting. Her mood changed drastically after that, the rest of the call wasn't very pleasant.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
There's even a thread on Amazons Gold box forum on this turd.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

That's amazing! I love it

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://savingspecies.org/?p=152

Quote:
A furor has erupted over GoDaddy CEO Bob Parson's video blog in which he shoots an elephant in Zimbabwe. And rightly so. Parson's video cites crop destruction as a reason to kill elephants and so save Zimbabwean farmers from starvation. But it is wrong in so many ways.
It's easy to write off objectors to the killing as "bleeding hearts" and "treehuggers," but there's much more to this than meets the eye. Three key points emerge.
First, the elephant is already threatened from poaching for ivory. Populations have plummeted in the last few decades. Conservationists and land managers are striving to save the species from extinction. There is no good reason to "cull" the species. The loss of even one individual simply hastens the demise of these creatures - Earth's biggest land animal. By making it "okay" to kill an elephant Parsons is undermining the hard work of thousands of scientists, conservationists and policy-makers who are trying to save the species from extinction.
Second, various methods exist to protect farmers and their crops from the depredations of elephants that do not involve killing them. Relocation and fencing are among the alternatives. Compensating villagers for lost crops from ecotourism revenues is another possibility. Mr. Parsons could well have applied his funds to promote these possibilities rather than killing elephants. The video betrays a complete lack of understanding of elephant behavior and ecology. The narrative claims that elephants will not return to areas in which bulls have been killed. But what time frame does this encompass. How long does this supposed deterrent last?
Third, the depiction in the video of villagers hacking at the dead elephant is a demeaning narrative of their plight. The presence of hunger in Zimbabwe can be attributed much more to corruption and greed of in-country oligarchs rather than to marauding elephants. Mr. Parsons could have used his considerable influence to call for social justice for Zimbabwe's poor.
The bottom line is that Bob Parsons as CEO has betrayed an astonishing lack of sensitivity and poor judgment. That said, given GoDaddy's record (e.g., its notorious Super Bowl ads) I am cynical enough to believe that Parsons planned this from the beginning, knowing the anger (and media coverage) he would invoke. If that's the case, such actions are even more reprehensible, illustrating the depths to which someone will descend to get publicity. Nothing less than Parson's resignation or firing will satisfy those who are rightly outraged at such a despicable act.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This makes me even happier that I didn't register with GoDaddy. Their commercials are disgusting and I think they must be paying her a LOT of money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.