VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that too much Gluten will stop or reduce calcium absorption. Does anyone here limit their gluten intake ..anyone, anyone? Some of my veg*n books recommend switching to only sprout bread. Does anyone have an opinion for me? Thanks :)

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I think wheat gluten is harmless. I don't see any reason to avoid wheat because of its gluten content. Even plain wheat gluten added to bread or cakes is harmless. Unless you have an allergy, in which case you'll know it. The yeast in bread is far more of a problem than the wheat gluten. However bread, if used in moderation, is not a problem either. I don't believe that bread should be a staple, but occaisional use is not a problem It is better to eat grains such as wheat in plain porridge form, rather than in yeast bread. Low-yeast flatbreads that are just barely risen and are almost crackers rather than bread, are better than fluffy high-yeast breads, that has had yeast living and metabolizing its carbohydrates for hours. The yeast metabolites can fiddle with your chemistry. But gluten is harmless.<br><br><br><br>
Any protein <b>in excess</b> can cause hypercalciuremia because calcium is needed to metabolize protein, and it has to come from the blood -- which gets it from the diet, or in the absence of adeqate dietary protein, from the bones. I don't think gluten is worse than any other protein.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't avoid it but I do try to not eat too much. It's in so many things. There are a LOT of people that come into my work that have a gluten intolerance or a gluten allergy. I forget whether it's the intolerance or the allergy that you can acquire by eating too much of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts