VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Army of One. This is my first posting. I found Veggieboards while searching for information about those horrid glue strips. They use them where I work and I just had a big blow-out with my supervisor and the department director. I have tried to explain my opposition in a calm, respectful way and I offered suggestions (I brought in my own mouse repellent; I have a live catch trap). No one will hear me. My job was threatened today. The director told me, "I don't want to hear anything more about this. Just do your job. If you can't work around these traps, go see Human Resources". What is so wrong about doing away with an incredibly inhumane, unneccessary and ineffective "method of pest control".....? Why does no one understand the anxiety I feel about this?
Why are my feelings so easily dismissed - they're valid!!!

Today, in a trash can, I saw latex gloves, an empty glue strip and a cup of water with water still in it. I'm thinking that a mouse was caught (I thought I had destroyed the glue with mineral oil and petroleum jelly, but I guess I was wrong) and then they drowned him in a cup while he was attached to the glue strip. I was sickened by this thought. And you know what I heard? "Oh, she can't prove that's what happened".....

Anyway, I am very glad to have found this site because I just read about someone's experience in the workplace with these horrific things and I completely relate to their distress.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I think it's terrible that your job was threatened just because you tried to protect a mouse.

Anyway, welcome to VB!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Welcome - I had that happen in my flat. We had mice, and I tried to get rid of them with humane traps, but my flatmates got so fed up in the end (it did go on for ages, and I got suspected Vile's disease because of it), that they got the pest control in. I was not happy.

I hope it goes better for you at work.

Oh, and welcome!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I worked at a place like that I kept my mouth shut. I just stayed late a few days a week and went around and threw the traps away. Othertimes I would "accidentally" drop a piece of paper onto them that stuck and made them useless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My last job was using these horrible glue traps. I put together a letter detailing all the reasons why glue traps are inhumane and ineffective, and outlined a plan to get rid of them. I offered to purchase live-catch traps at my own expense, place and monitor them on my own time, and log all catches and the condition of the surrounding areas (cracks in the wall, uncovered garbage cans, shrubbery too close to buildings, etc.) so that we could work on eliminating the problem. I attached this letter to an article I found in PETA's Animal Times regarding glue traps, and submitted it to the owner of my company. She accepted gladly (it saved her a lot of money!), and within a month we had completely solved our mouse problem without killing any mice. Once my program was in place, a lot of coworkers came to me to express their relief; it turned out many people had been upset about the tortured animals in the building, but nobody knew what to do. I think maybe a more rational, professional approach would have better results - instead of endlessly complaining about the situation, tell your company how you can solve their problem. This way, instead of sounding like a troublemaker, you can be a "trouble fixer"! It worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have been covertly tampering with the glue strips by putting vegetable oil on them. I think this has ruined the glue....so far, so good.

I work at a hospital. Those glue strips are all over the building. The first time I approached my department director with my suggestions, he actually seemed agreeable. I guess he checked with environmental services and contacted the exterminator. The "pest guy" came in and pretty much told everyone that this was the hospital-approved method and that repellents didn't work and live-catch traps would defeat the purpose. After the director told me, "This isn't your decision, frankly. This is what the hospital has decided to do...and they've researched this throughly", I figured the only thing I could do right now is try to destroy those things. My direct supervisor had said, "No one is to throw these things away!" Well, she didn't say anything about putting cooking oil on them.

I actually came across this board while looking for info. for a speech I did in my Oral Communications class. Since I was dealing with these things and researching them, I thought maybe I could at least convince some of my classmates not to ever use glue traps.

This board came up as a hit on the "glue traps" subject search through ask.com. After reading that post, I really wanted to write about my own situation. Sorry if it came across as venting, but I just felt like this would be a supportive environment and that I might get good ideas from people here.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Welcome, Aof1.
You picked a wicked awesome thread title. I thought it was going to have something to do with a new form of hair removal.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army of One View Post

This board came up as a hit on the "glue traps" subject search through ask.com. After reading that post, I really wanted to write about my own situation. Sorry if it came across as venting, but I just felt like this would be a supportive environment and that I might get good ideas from people here.
I had a feeling you found it in a search for glue traps.
It was an odd first post, and with no mention of vegetarianism. Anyway..good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I guess the "Introduce Yourself" forum was probably not the best choice for me to post that on, eh?
LOL at the hair removal comment!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts